Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-14-2016, 06:14 AM   #41
springerpete

Default Re: Mouse repellant

I'm surprised nobody mentioned it earlier. Attract the rodents to something else, not your car. I use a 5 gal plastic bucket, 2-3" of old antifreeze in the bottom, Coat hanger wire across the top pierced threw a soda can horizontally. Spread p-nut butter liberally on the can. Length of old wood as a ramp to the top of the bucket. Every once in a while freshen up the p nut butter.
I also use moth crystals on the floor around the tires.
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 06:39 AM   #42
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by springerpete View Post
I'm surprised nobody mentioned it earlier. Attract the rodents to something else, not your car. I use a 5 gal plastic bucket, 2-3" of old antifreeze in the bottom, Coat hanger wire across the top pierced threw a soda can horizontally. Spread p-nut butter liberally on the can. Length of old wood as a ramp to the top of the bucket. Every once in a while freshen up the p nut butter.
Yup Tom beat you to it last night but you get second prize. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:01 AM   #43
Keith True

I found the dryer sheets to be useless too.The mice made nests out of them here.I have no idea why the poison is so high priced,the Lowes,Home depot,and Walmart here all have it.Tractor supply is the cheapest though.I bought a bag of the green balls,I have never used them but will give them a try.They were $12.99.They look like a big bag of green Cheetos.I've always used the green blocks,they have to gnaw on them in place,they can't just lug them off to store somewhere.Although,last year something did carry them all away from one shed,I'm thinking it was squirrels.I really like the electric traps too.Starting about a week ago,they will catch one mouse per night when they start looking to move inside for the winter.I live in the bushes,and have mice and mosquitos in equal amounts.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:15 AM   #44
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Adams View Post
Dryer sheets and electronic rodent chasers sold at ACE and Home Depot & Lowe's seem to also work.
I'm not kidding. My dad bought one of the electronic units. I came out one night and a dang mouse was sitting on top of it. Maybe his was defective, but I threw it right in the trash.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:44 AM   #45
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by springerpete View Post
I did in post #11... - posted a youtube link showing the peanut butter bucket and said place it far away from the car and load the car with dryer sheets - attract them to the peanut butter and the dryer sheets may be just enough of a deterrent.

BTW antifreeze is all non toxic anymore(still make you sick but prolly wont kill you). too many pets and kids would drink it usually from a little puddle left on the garage floor.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:03 AM   #46
Steve_Mack_CT

Tried a new product this summer called "Shake Away" as we get them in the garage all year round. I keep the top down on one of our other cars and it was not an issue till this summer - anyway, this stuff seems to work pretty good. Also put some effort into tightening the garage this summer which should help as well. Less concerned with the "A" as it spent decades in a barn and I am sure, had mice come and go - not so much in a roadster for them to destroy vs. when they got to me new L-B interior in our Tudor a few years back!
Old 10-14-2016, 09:13 AM   #47
bambooboy

our weekend radio pest control guy sells do it yourself kits for pests.pretty costly though.for mice his product for mice is the same as store bought (tom cat) not as potent as his but worth a try
bambooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:35 AM   #48
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Wow. Now, $99.00 a box for D-Con "Pellets" at Amazon.com.

We might all have to move next door to Mr. Bill Williamson and his Rat Terrier Buster T.
----------------------------------------------------
PELLETs (12oz.)
by D-Con
4.5 out of 5 stars 171 customer reviews | 19 answered questions
Price: $99.90 Free Shipping for Prime Members
H.L,
I've had 2 Rat Terrier females, before Buster T. & haven't seen a RAT/MOUSE in my yard for YEARS! YES, they're in the neighborhood, I used to see them traveling on top of the fence, often
Most Terriers developed in the U.K, during the Beubonic Plague era, are quite good rodent killers, but Rat Terriers seem to be the BEST. They are SUPER Dogs & have an average life span of 18 YEARS! They seem to have inherited the BEST Genes, from each of their ancestors.
Search "RAT TERRIER HISTORY", you'll be AMAZED ! They were originally called FEISTS. Teddy Roosevelt coined the name, "RAT TERRIERS"
Bill W.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:40 AM   #49
Ed in Maine

What you need is a high volume mouse killing device that does not require resetting and maybe bait it only once a week. Google "efficient trap proves mice are dumb." There are a couple of designs that were made by Canadian Engineer Matthias Wandel. I picked the design that uses a 5 gal bucket, and a device that has a paddle that sits on the top of the bucket and goes out toward the middle of the bucket. This paddle is like walking the plank, the mouse gets towards the end of the paddle where the bait is located and suddenly, a small magnet releases the paddle and drops the mouse into the bucket with water in it of course! Watch the video on how it works and how to build it. It is ruthlessly efficient. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:56 AM   #50
katy

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/produc...=3&loadNo=0039
Old 10-14-2016, 11:26 AM   #51
ian Simpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
OH MY GOD, they EAT them???
Rat Terriers use the "COLD KILL" method, they just crunch & hold their neck, until DEAD, then just walk away
Buster T's Man
Benji, our long gone terrier was a great mouser, but he too liked to eat them.

Now we use Irish Spring soap around the garage, in the vehicles, and in our flower beds. Problem mice went away and the soap smells really nice.

I think our neighbourhood coyotes also help us out with both the mice and jack rabbits. Urban coyotes also help keep down the feral cat population. Maybe we should encourage coyote breeding?
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 12:19 PM   #52
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
I'm not kidding. My dad bought one of the electronic units. I came out one night and a dang mouse was sitting on top of it. Maybe his was defective, but I threw it right in the trash.
I also have one, and haven't seen any evidence that it does any good.

One guy said leaving a radio playing will keep the mice away, but that isn't so either. 10 years ago a neighbor and I were sitting in the doorway to the garage talking, and a radio was on the floor playing, when a mouse ran right past us into the garage. That's when I started throwing mothballs around the garage and near the doors.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 12:48 PM   #53
Roger V

I use dryer sheets, Irish Spring bar soap (original scent), deodorizers (twist conical plastic type and 110v refillable type), and Tom Cat (similar to D-Con). So far so good...........
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 01:08 PM   #54
bobpo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chl View Post
cab fresh sold at tractor supply is supposed to work really well.
I have been using Cab Fresh from Tractor Supply for a few years and it has completely eradicated the pesky rodents who loved the cotton in the rumble seat. Well, they have apparently found another location to winter. I place One bag on the floor of the rumble seat area. That usually last through the spring season.

In fact I just bought 2 boxes of 4 packs and they were on sale for $11.99 per box, about $3.00 less than I've paid before for the same product same store.
bobpo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 01:19 PM   #55
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Story deserves a story! I have a building about 14000 square feet for my cars.
We plugged in 6 electronic devices. Five minutes later we witnessed 3 mice run out of the barn through the overhead door. Wayn
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 04:53 PM   #56
coupe1942

My wife has some leather shoes which stink so much that I am betting they would work to keep mice and mankind alike away. I can say that because I can still outrun her though. :-)
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 05:20 PM   #57
lakeside

''BOUNCE'' fabric softner has always worked for me. Put some under the seats as well. Also, leave the hood open and lay some around any wiring. Stick it in the tailpipe too. I used to put 1/2 pt. jars over the exhaust pipes but always forgot about them in the spring when I fired the car up .
lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:59 PM   #58
Dutie

HERE YA GO MONTANA, WORKS ALL THE TIME......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1372.jpg (75.6 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1371.jpg (60.2 KB, 78 views)
Dutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:13 AM   #59
daveymc29

(Google 'Texas Trap'. It is phenomenal. I catch mice on a regular basis. I also use high frequency screamers plugged into a garage outlet.)

I used to go out with one of those, didn't if she was into mice tho"
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:52 AM   #60
3.6rs

Sit next to your car and wait until they come !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mouse shooting.jpg (9.8 KB, 33 views)
3.6rs is offline   Reply With Quote