Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-04-2013, 12:05 AM   #1
31 Victoria

Default OD install - what adjustments to do when changing pinion gear to new driveshaft

I am about to remove my driveshaft from the banjo, in order to install a F150 tranny that I am planning to buy. I will have to install the pinion from my original driveshaft onto the new (shortened) F150 driveshaft and torque tube.
When I remove the original driveshaft and then transfer the pinion and reinstall the new shaft, do I have to test and adjust the depth of the pinion on the ring gear? Les Andrews has a detailed description of adjusting ring gear pattern and backlash in volume 1 of his manuals. When Les describes installation of the Mitchell OD in volume 2, he says to remove and reinstall the driveshaft on the banjo, without any adjustment of ring gear backlash (he just says to set the pinion bearing preload, which seems pretty easy).
I want to avoid the complicated ring gear backlash adjustment. Would NOT adjusting backlash be a problem when reinstalling a new driveshaft? Should I measure the thrust washer to pinion distance of the original driveshaft and maintain that on the new shaft?
Thanks,
Paul
31 Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:20 AM   #2
Geo. H

Default Re: OD install - what adjustments to do when changing pinion gear to new driveshaft

You're over thinking the problem. As long as you use the same pinion gear and bearings, it should wind up with the same clearances.
Geo. H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
miss victoria

Default Re: OD install - what adjustments to do when changing pinion gear to new driveshaft

If you use a pinion puller you just pull it out and then push it back in, comes with the kit for $25.00 extra.
miss victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:38 AM   #4
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Victoria View Post
I am about to remove my driveshaft from the banjo, in order to install a F150 tranny that I am planning to buy ...
First off, I personally would wait till I had the tranny kit in hand before taking anything apart.

Second, use the pinion puller like Miss Victoria says. (I actually got my puller from Mitchell).
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:45 AM   #5
31 Victoria

Thanks for all the help guys. Carl, it is cold where I live and I cannot do much with the car right now - maybe I'm just getting old, but working on a cement floor in zero degrees is not on my agenda anymore - you can probably relate.

Miss Victoria, I sent you a PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:04 PM   #6
Jim Brierley

Do as the guys above say. I would also check the pinion bearings for pre-load. There should be a slight drag as felt by hand when turning the pinion gear, with the gear/bearing assembly on the bench. It shouldn't take much, if any, tightening of the nuts to achieve this.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:38 PM   #7
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Victoria View Post
... Carl, it is cold where I live and I cannot do much with the car right now - maybe I'm just getting old, but working on a cement floor in zero degrees is not on my agenda anymore - you can probably relate ...
I can definitely relate! A heated garage with a generous piece of cardboard on the floor (for insulation) helps a bunch. And as far north as we are, plenty of light helps. I just re-did all the lighting in my garage this past week. What a difference that makes!
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #8
31 Victoria

Carl, visiting Anchorage is on my bucket list. Beautiful country up there, but don't you get tired of the winters? I do - 6 months of cold and snow and darkness is wearing me down. I bet you use your Model A from mid-May to early October only. Oh well, at least the days are getting longer now!