Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-26-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
elwood

Default re-torque heads

hey guys, im fixing to start my fresh eab in my 50 f1,
i was wondering if i should re-torque the heads while still hot, warm or cold ?
there stock cast iron heads.
thanks
elwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #2
ford3

Default Re: re-torque heads

retorque cold, keep retorquing every week or so if you do a lot of driving till the bolts quit moving
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:13 PM   #3
Henry/Kokomo

A local engine builder taught me a trick which I'll pass along. When you torque your heads, go over them three (3) times when you reach the maximum torque you'll be using. It's amazing - at least to me - how many of the bolts will move on the second or third pass without increasing the torque setting on the torque wrench. Maybe I'm the only one on the 'Barn that didn't know this but thought I'd pass it on. FWIW

Definitely re-torque when cold, after one or more heat cycles.
Henry/Kokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
Walt Dupont--Me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwood View Post
hey guys, im fixing to start my fresh eab in my 50 f1,
i was wondering if i should re-torque the heads while still hot, warm or cold ?
there stock cast iron heads.
thanks
On the cast iron heads I always retorque the heads hot after you've run it 15-20 min. at 15-1800 RPM. On the aluminum heads retorque after thay have cooled off. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:16 PM   #5
elwood

thanks guys.
elwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #6
Blu Dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford3 View Post
retorque cold, keep retorquing every week or so if you do a lot of driving till the bolts quit moving
Until the bolts quit turning-for real? So you don't use a torque wrench? Or am I not reading this right - if you use a torque wrench, then at how many pounds do you have it set at?

Last edited by Blu Dice; 01-05-2013 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Correction
Blu Dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #7
2tudors

A teacher I had in mechanic school used to tell us to give them a tap with a hammer after tourquing to relieve the binding stress on face of bolt.The odd bolt will give an extra 1/8 or so on a tourque recheck...
2tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #8
ford3

yes Blu Dice, for real, i torque the 49 -53 head bolts to 70 foot pounds, you keep checking the torque till one day the bolts wont turn any more when pulled to specified torque, quality engine builders do use a torque wrench, i use one that clicks when the determined torque is reached, now do you understand?
Old 01-06-2013, 12:32 AM   #9
flatjack9

I never torque more than 50 ft. lbs. No need for any more.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:02 AM   #10
JWL
Member Emeritus

10-4 on that!!
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:48 AM   #11
richard crow

you ever wounder why when they left the factory they were never touched . i dont think they torqued them over & over at the factory . but i agree with henry kokmo torque 3 times following the sequence in the manual
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:12 AM   #12
Mart

Do you think a re-torque would have been done when the car went in for it's first service? Did they have a set service interval back then??

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:52 AM   #13
Blu Dice

Quote:
yes Blu Dice, for real, i torque the 49 -53 head bolts to 70 foot pounds, you keep checking the torque till one day the bolts wont turn any more when pulled to specified torque, quality engine builders do use a torque wrench, i use one that clicks when the determined torque is reached, now do you understand?
I have replaced the head gaskets on my '50, and I asked on here, The HAMB, and shoebox ford what everyone does - got a BUNCH of different answers. Yours really stand out. Where did you come up with 70 # - I've not seen that stated anywhere. I also wondered about what happen after these cars were bought new - did the heads get re-torqued by the mechanics at the dealerships -I doubt that. I know this is not rocket science, but sure makes it confusing to a guy like me - a rookie at this -first time on a flathead. Thanks
Old 01-06-2013, 10:21 AM   #14
JWL
Member Emeritus

My Daddy was the Service Manager at a Ford dealership when I was a young boy. The introduction of the new models was a very big deal back in those days. I remember they would hide the new cars and prepare them "after-hours" until the announcment day. This is my first memory of watching the mechanics perform the "new car inspections". I can say with 100% certainty that the head fasterers were checked, with a beam-type torque wrench, on all the new cars at, at least, one Ford dealership.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:27 AM   #15
ford3

motors manual 1935 to 1953, if you really want ot get picky the book says torque from #65 to #70, i torque my engines to #70 to help reduce the chance of the head gaskets weeping between retorqing and yes the new cars were taken back to the dealership at regular intervals for for service, and the head bolts were retorqued, in fact they were advised to bring them back several times for check ups. i think its time for you to buy a few books, JWL's, Ol rons , Les Andrews, a motors manual, 1935 to 1953, then maybe you wont be so confused, i dont want to argue with you on this, so i will not respond to any more of your posts, do some research then start on your engine, is a hell of a lot of fun building them

Last edited by ford3; 01-06-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #16
Ol' Ron

Don't you just love the Flathead??
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #17
BILL WZOREK

Blu Dice:

You get a lot of info here from both end of the thought process
So if you bunch it all together and split it down the center you should be all right.
It is like you said it's not Rocket science and these flathead are mort forgiving.
So don't over think the problem / just get it together and enjoy the ride... JMHO
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:25 AM   #18
ford3

flatjack9, there is some confusion on head torque, the 1935 to 1948 flatheads recomended torque is 50 to 60 pounds, and the aluminum heads require s diferent torque nothing is written in stone, use what works for you, and its like Bill Wzorek says, the flathead engine is very forgiving, they have survived many years with a lot of beginners working on them, he also said "just get it together and enjoy the ride", and im all for that
Old 01-06-2013, 11:31 AM   #19
Blu Dice

Quote:
motors manual 1935 to 1953, if you really want ot get picky the book says torque from #65 to #70, i torque my engines to #70 to help reduce the chance of the head gaskets weeping between retorqing and yes the new cars were taken back to the dealership at regular intervals for for service, and the head bolts were retorqued, in fact they were advised to bring them back several times for check ups. i think its time for you to buy a few books, JWL's, Ol rons , Les Andrews, a motors manual, 1935 to 1953, then maybe you wont be so confused, i dont want to argue with you on this, so i will not respond to any more of your posts, do some research then start on your engine, is a hell of a lot of fun building them
Oh please ford3 - I'm not arguementitive here - I respect your input here as well as everyone else's. I have the "green bible" and thought that was good enough, but now learning maybe not so. I may be a youngster here - same age as my ford - so please continue to teach me. I've have torqued the heads to 65# after 3 warm ups now. This last time the bolts didn't turn much, but due to our current snow I have not been able to drive it on the highway. When I do I will check them again. I to am using a clicker torque wrench, and so far I have only seen some seepage a couple of places on the outer edges - none around the bolts.
Thanks again for all comments.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #20
Bassman/NZ

There should be no seepage at 65#. I would suggest your heads may need removing and having a light skim to make them dead flat. Or a can of Bars Leaks!
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote