Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
t-head

Default The history, design and use of the Moto-Meter

After the recent thread here on the Ford Barn about the Moto-Meter we were interested in finding out more about its history, design and use and have posted a detailed article you will find interesting on the Moto-Meter at The Old Motor.

We have dug deep and come up with many period articles, letters and ads and have also learned much more about it in the process. Also covered in multiple photos, are an early and a later (teens) unit as seen above.

Last edited by t-head; 11-25-2012 at 09:20 AM.
t-head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
Garage Dog

Default Re: The history, design and use of the Moto-Meter

Tee Head, thanks agin for the GREAT post
Garage Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:19 AM   #3
t-head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garage Dog View Post
Tee Head, thanks agin for the GREAT post
Happy you enjoyed it, we will have another post soon all about some of the other brands and odd-balls that were also manufactured.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:56 AM   #4
LukeDahlinger
BANNED

Why does it seem odd "Garage Dog" only replies to "T-head" posts?
Old 11-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #5
Garage Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeDahlinger View Post
Why does it seem odd "Garage Dog" only replies to "T-head" posts?
cCheck the facts Luke, just yesterday I replied to the following two posts.

31 A Submerged above Intake in Salt Water Thanks to "Sandy"

Winter time and those painful cracks in the corners of the chapped thumbs

Go to my posts https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/search...archid=2216514

How to start your car in under 8 minutes.

I don't have much time and relpy to many of his because I enjoy what he posts. He is doing us all a faver. Lighten up

you get on his case because he has ads on his page but so dont you. your ad on your site sent me to here :

http://www.cars.com/buy/?make=ford&m...ale&pse=google

Last edited by Garage Dog; 11-26-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Garage Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
LukeDahlinger
BANNED

I was just stating what I saw and thought it odd. That is all. My post in this thread doesn't have a damn thing to do with ads on any site. You brought that up not me.

As for ads, yes I have ads on my site as well, but I do not constantly post redirects here on this and the other subforums on this site for the reason of increasing traffic to my site. Since you brought it up, my site is a simple site where I occasionally post interesting Ford history. I do not have a staff of writers, a fancy web page template nor do I have high paying advertisers. It gets plenty of views without doing that and I have no advertisers(aside from the ads google places on there) to deal with that want high number of clicks.

When I post here it has to do with Model A's, Ford History etc. I don't post off topic materials here. Sorry but I don't see how posting films of locomotives or pictures of Brand X cars is doing me a favor. If I wanted to learn about that I would go to the proper forum.

Last edited by LukeDahlinger; 11-26-2012 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Typos
LukeDahlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:52 AM   #7
CarlG

Luke,
Thanks for cleaning up your post!
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:43 PM   #8
t-head

Quote:

As for ads, yes I have ads on my site as well, but I do not constantly post redirects here on this and the other subforums on this site for the reason of increasing traffic to his site. Since you brought it up, my site is a simple site where I occasionally post interesting Ford history. I do not have a staff of writers, a fancy web page template nor do I have high paying advertisers. If I use the the word "we" that means me and the shop dogs.

When I post here it has to do with Model A's, Ford History etc. I don't post off topic materials here. Sorry but I don't see how posting films of locomotives or pictures of Brand X cars is doing me a favor. If I wanted to learn about that I would go to the proper forum.
Luke, We have been through all of this here before. I have only have two ads on my site now that are actually paid for, the rest are free to help friends or museums. There is no "staff of writers". When I started several friends were helping but but no one is paid including myself. If I mention "we" in a text that means myself and the dogs.

The "fancy web page template" was free and you can get one for your site at Wordpress which is a non profit.

The " high paying advertisers " pay for about 1/3 of the cost of hosting the site each month. There is no income at all. It cost me lots of time and $$$ to do this.

We are having our second fund raiser after the holidays for McPherson College. This past summer we had our first fund raiser for the Larz Anderson Auto Museum to get their car to Pebble Beach and Ford Barn Members and others along with myself all helped buy new tires for for the car so that it could go. I also donated three weeks of my own time to help it happen.

I have been thinking about where to go with the site in the future and have decided that if it ever does turn a profit and turn into a paying business, a large part of it is going to go to helping McPherson and the other organizations on our "Give Back" page.

No one else here on the Ford Barn has objected so far and quite a few have enjoyed the locomotive films and other non-Ford materials I have posted and many left positive comments.

The following are only some of comments are from here on the Ford Barn about the Locomotive films;

Very interesting!!!
Thank you for posting.
Great video.
Very Good!!
Thank you for posting the video link.
Really enjoyed this!!
Thanks for posting. Fascinating!
Enjoyed watching! Thanks for posting.
Very interesting!! Anybody with a ounce of mechanical interest,had to enjoy that.
Keep em' coming.
Absolutely awesome. I really enjoyed that, thanks very much.
I really liked that.
Loved it and subscribed
Great viedo!!!
Thanks for that, very good indeed.
Thanks for sharing !

I am also not posting on here looking for work, as the shop is booked for a couple of years and I am also not trying to sell anything either.

I have also talked with Ryan from The Ford Barn a bit about us working together in the future and we may try to help each other.

So that's the story on The Old Motor and many thanks to all of you for your continued support and the many positive PM's that you send.

Last edited by t-head; 11-26-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:41 PM   #9
LukeDahlinger
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-head View Post
There is no "staff of writers". When I started several friends were helping but but no one is paid including myself.
David,
When I confronted you about using images from my personal collection that were posted on your site without my permission, you passed it off as "one of your writers".

It was not my intent to stir the pot about the whole ad issue. "Garage Dog" brought that to the table and felt I needed to clarify myself.

No where did I say you were soliciting work for your shop.

For the record- I am not paid for my Vintage Ford Facts blog. What little revenue Adsense pays goes into paying the hosting fees. It is simply a venue to post tidbits I run across in my research for one of the books I am currently writing. I do give your credit for updating your site daily. Wish I could say the same for mine. With two businesses to run free time is at a premium for me.

As far as I'm concerned this discussion is over.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:02 PM   #10
t-head

Quote:
David,
When I confronted you about using images from my personal collection that were posted on your site without my permission, you passed it off as "one of your writers".

For the record- I am not paid for my Vintage Ford Facts blog. What little revenue Adsense pays goes into paying the hosting fees. It is simply a venue to post tidbits I run across in my research for one of the books I am currently writing. I do give your credit for updating your site daily. Wish I could say the same for mine. With two businesses to run free time is at a premium for me.

As far as I'm concerned this discussion is over.
Luke, Good so let's move on.

One thing you should know and probably do, about about all the images on your site, is they are all probably posted here on Google image and anyone can take them and use them at will.

That is where Tony found the Model T postcard, that may have been yours that he used in a post on The Old Motor.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:21 PM   #11
Rowdy
BANNED

Interesting history, but I am more concerned with using what I have to make a nice one for use. One with an intact thermometer and one with a decent body and wreath. How do you transfer the good thermometer to the good body? Thanks Rod
Old 11-26-2012, 03:08 PM   #12
jimvette59

Hi Rowdy, if I remember you could unscrew the 1/2 X 20 tpi. brass probe that the thermometer is glued in and install it in the other body. FYI I have a frend that makes the thermometers for the Motometer and the probe. Jim.T
jimvette59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:19 PM   #13
Rowdy
BANNED

Thanks Jim. I did not see a way to unscrew this one, it is in one of the accessoryflip cap. I posted it awhile back in my post titled "Fun Finds" . I have not taken it out of the box in quite awhile, but will do so sometime this week. I am trying to trade a friend out of a nice motometer body and wreath, but will have to ask some experts here if the dia is correct as it looks to be about the same size as my Model T Boyce Jr. I saved back mainly becasuse the glass and non-wreath bezel were nice. Rod