Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-11-2012, 05:16 PM   #1
Old Henry

Default Emergency Kill Switch

I have always been nervous using my throttle for cruise control. My fear is that in an emergency I won't be able to get the throttle knob pushed back in soon enough. Actually had an emergency come up and I just mashed on the brake and clutch together which left the engine to race out of control with the throttle knob pulled out. I was also afraid that in a wreck the engine would continue at high throttle and keep the car going if the wheels were on the ground. Just heading out on a 1,000 mile road trip tomorrow and had to do something. So, the solution? An emergency kill switch that I could get to a lot quicker than the throttle knob and an inertia kill switch that would shut down the whole car in a wreck. Of course I didn't want some giant red knob on the dash board to distract from the authenticity of it. Also didn't want to have to bend down to the dash board to shut the engine down (I've got this growth on the front of my abdomen that inhibits such - it's called fat). Pondered on it quite a while before finding the perfect place for the kill switch. Hardly visible and extremely handy. Do you see it?

How 'bout if we look a little closer?

It's a SPST Micromini Toggle Switch I picked up at Radio Shack for $3.99. (Available here: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062503)

But, you say, you can't run the whole car through that itty bitty switch.
True. So, that switch as well as the inertia kill switch just control the primary circuit of a relay I picked up at Radio Shack for $5.99. (Available here: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3020762). The secondary circuit is where I run the current through to the ignition switch.

Yeah. I know. It's a 14 volt relay that I'm using in my stock 6 volt system. Not sure why but 6 volts trips it just fine.

So, here's a rough (and I mean rough) diagram of the control system:

Here's the inertia kill switch mounted just above the panel in front of the driver's door. The wire attached to the mounting screw is the ground wire for the relay. The control wires plug into the bottom and are seen on the left. You see the top of the panel then the emergency brake cable, just to orient you. Got it from Summit Racing for $29.95. (Available here: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-890145)

So, total cost of the three main components $39.95 plus tax and some crimp connectors. Installation time less than an hour. Pondering, contemplation, and planning time - way way more.

Last edited by Old Henry; 12-14-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: Emergency Kill Switch

Henry, at our age and physical condition, if we survived a rollover crash, we'd catch a fatal disease in the hospital anyway, but it's healthy to keep your gray matter functioning on these projects!
Old 11-11-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
1oldtimer

Be careful with the ford switch I remember a lot of those tripping over speed bumps...of course they were in the trunk on factory cars. Your gonna laugh but I was thinking about a jet ski switch as a crash/car jack safety thing. You hook one end to your belt or have it hanging and just yank it.....it also won't restart without the little plastic spacer (of course get something like fishing line instead of the red cord).

1oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:19 PM   #4
Henry/Kokomo

I like it. Have thought about doing something like that so the throttle could be used as a poor man's cruise control. Never got past the "thinking" part. Good job.
Henry/Kokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #5
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1oldtimer View Post
Be careful with the ford switch I remember a lot of those tripping over speed bumps...of course they were in the trunk on factory cars. Your gonna laugh but I was thinking about a jet ski switch as a crash/car jack safety thing. You hook one end to your belt or have it hanging and just yank it.....it also won't restart without the little plastic spacer (of course get something like fishing line instead of the red cord).
That could be a problem. Took a "three hour tour" around Utah Lake yesterday with the "Queen Mothers" in the back. Got on some pretty rough roads and hit some pretty big bumps. Knocked my visor down and my garage door opener off of it. That one may well have shut the whole car down with the inertia switch. Fortunately, I have put it where it's pretty handy to reset.

I don't think the PWC kill cord would work for me. For one, I have a seat belt that will keep me from being ejected from the car and pulling the cord. Secondly, I've got a big enough job on my hands just remembering to turn off the kill switch when I turn off the car to de-energize the relay and not draw down the battery. I doubt I could ever get used to hooking up that cord every time I got in the car (and UN hooking when I got out).
Old 11-11-2012, 06:51 PM   #6
Old Henry

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Henry, at our age and physical condition, if we survived a rollover crash, we'd catch a fatal disease in the hospital anyway, but it's healthy to keep your gray matter functioning on these projects!
It's like insurance. Ya hope ya never have to use it but it gives a lot of "peace of mind" just knowing it's there.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #7
41Fordor

Take lots of pictures! We always like seeing your car on the road. If you need any assistance in the Cheyenne area give me holler!
41Fordor is offline   Reply With Quote