Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-17-2012, 10:58 AM   #1
Ed in Maine

Default HFLP Spray Guns

I would like to know what spray gun manufacturers, models nos. and tip sizes Ford barn members have had good results with spraying acrylic enamel. I would like to find something less than $500.00. The gun should be good with both primers and top coats, single stage paints. Is it a good idea to buy a complete system? Thanks for your comments. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
mrfirebird73

Default Re: HFLP Spray Guns

I use Sata equipment. I spray my primer with a BF100 HVLP(1.7 fluid tip) and my top coats with a 3000 RP(1.3 fluid tip) . I have used DeVilbiss, Iwata, Sharpe and Binks but prefer the Sata. They are not cheap but you do get what you pay for. I know you can find these on ebay for your price range. I wouldn't use my 3000 to spray primer and I wouldn't use my 100 to spray clear either.
mrfirebird73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:36 PM   #3
Marklambert61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Maine View Post
I would like to know what spray gun manufacturers, models nos. and tip sizes Ford barn members have had good results with spraying acrylic enamel. I would like to find something less than $500.00. The gun should be good with both primers and top coats, single stage paints. Is it a good idea to buy a complete system? Thanks for your comments. Ed

I have a similar question....

Isn't it possible to buy one good paint gun and use multiple tip sizes?
Should I look for a turbo unit HVLP?

Mark
Marklambert61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:04 PM   #4
LukeDahlinger
BANNED

The Devilbiss Finishline set is not a bad gun for the money. I have a set of them and for the average home restorer they should give no troubles, but like Firebird pointed out, you get what you pay for. With a good quality gun, properly mixed material and some skill and one can lay down paint that's slick as glass with no orange peel or other defect.

I use separate guns for primer, base, clear, etc. What type(and brand) of paint I'm spraying will dictate what gun I use. For single stage like Concept or Essential, I use a Devilbiss Plus or Sata 3000. For clears I primarily use an Iwata LPH-400. I use alot of different guns, but these 3 get the most use.

What works for me may not work for you. The Devilbiss & Sata are like firehoses, throwing alot of material onto the surface and that's why I use them. To the less experienced painter, this can be a disadvantage.

At the very least I suggest getting 2 separate guns- one for primers & sealers and another for topcoat.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:02 PM   #5
Kurt in NJ

When I painted my car in 1970 I used a speedi-sprayer run with a diaphram compresser---that gun worked surprisingly well---utill it was used for latex paint

I have been using a DeVibiss finishline series gun for many years, it's a little small for a large painting project ---but a large cup makes for a tired arm if you don't do it a lot
http://www.autorefinishdevilbiss.com...dSprayGun.aspx
I don't know what they cost now ---it was 99$ when I bought it at Carlisle--way back when there was still a racetrack and trees
Kurt in NJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:35 PM   #6
Craig Lewis

I would pickup a cheap gun for primer use only, because it will get the most use and cleanup doesn't have to be as critical.
I painted cars full time for 12 yrs, except that ended 20 yrs back and I haven't stayed current on the new guns, but I was paging through a 4 pg Sata flyer today and must say the new equipment looks pretty sweet!

Consider spending near the topend of your budget...you'll not regret buying the better tool.
In fact you'll feel good everytime you use it and will probably keep it cleaner, resulting in even better paint jobs.
Craig Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:11 AM   #7
miss victoria

believe it or not! i got a $15.00 gun at harbor frieght wanted it just for primer,worked so well i painted my car with it !!
miss victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:08 PM   #8
Marklambert61

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss victoria View Post
believe it or not! i got a $15.00 gun at harbor frieght wanted it just for primer,worked so well i painted my car with it !!

How did she come-out?

Got 3 of those guns already...lol

Mark
Marklambert61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #9
PetesPonies

+1 on the Finishlines for inexpensive guns that do a decent job. You can get multiple size tips so you could use the guns for primers and top coats. I have an older SATA rp that puts out a nice finish, but wastes a lot of paint compared to HVLPs. But I do like it for clears. My favorite gun is my Walcom GEO. Its expensive, but really saves on overspray, nice gun. If you don't spray often, I say get the Finishline. You would have to be a really good painter and have a great facility to see the difference in finish from that to a $500 gun.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:42 PM   #10
ctvpa

I bought this and love it. It comes with different size interchanable tips. I shot primer, color and clear.
http://www.eastwood.com/paint-equipm...paint-gun.html

I would also get this
http://www.eastwood.com/aerosol-inje...ubricator.html
It is amasing, you just press the gun to it clean it.

I would add these, they work great
http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece...ups-97098.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/disposa...ter-68224.html

All of this comes in below $200, and it works gerat, Eastwood is also a great paint supplier. I have bought a lot from them. When I emailed a complaintm the owner called me directly.
ctvpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:45 PM   #11
PetesPonies

When you know what you are looking for, Eastwood is a great money waster They charge way too much for things. Not that they don't have some good things, but they can be gotten much cheaper elsewhere.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:07 PM   #12
Ken Ehrenhofer

I, like others use a Sata RP (not HVLP) but an RP (reduced Pressure).
I use it for all my painting now, Primer, single stage, Base and Clear. 1.3 Fluid nozzle.
It works very well and cannot fault it at all. If you use higher viscosity primers I would go to a larger nozzle of course, I have been in the spray equipment business for over 50 years and believe almost any gun if used properly and paint, thinned more, can be used successfully. The cheap guns work but are a little more difficult to use. Some HVLP guns need the paint to be thinned more in order to get them to atomize properly. I always say if you want a good job you must use the right tools. Spray guns are no exception. The better the gun, the easier it is to get good results, Ken
Ken Ehrenhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:38 PM   #13
wga

I like my Binks M1G, had for about 15 years and it continues to perform well, use it only for top coats, clear and varnish (refinish woodies). Iwata and Sata are in my opinion the two best on the market, and if you want that nice finish, you need a quality gun that atomizes the paint, so that you do not over reduce your paint. Get a good air line cleaner / regulator.