Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-04-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
QGolden

Default Speedster Build

Hello Folks,
I am starting a project that I have wanted to build for a really long time. A Model A Speedster. I have been collecting parts for quite a while and although I am still in planning stages, I have a good solid '30 chassis, with wheels, complete drive train, good rebuilt engine w/new babbitt. I have a repairable '30 cowl, pretty darned good fenders and running boards/splash panels, with a very good Radiator, Shell, and Radiator Apron. All 1930. Nice front and rear bumpers. For the engine I have a Duel Carb downdraft intake and a pair of '97's to rebuild and duel exhaust cast iron headers. Oh and a pair of vintage cast iron cable controlled exhaust cutouts just for fun.

My background equips me well for this project, I have done several "fix ups" of old cars, including body work and minor as well as major engine work. Never a "frame off" but have had lots of bodies apart.

My shop is well equipped with milling machine, lathe, CNC mill, wire feed welder, gas welder and all the requisite woodworking tools for cabinet building. And I know how to use them and I have done body leading.

Any way I am wrestling with building a Rootlieb Speedster kit or a Speedster/Roadster pickup project. Since I have quite a bit of good '30 tin, it would be a shame not to use it, and a '30 Speedster/Pickup would be unique. On the other hand I like the simple lines of the Rootlieb Kit. I could work with the kit and still do the Speedster Truck, but a soft top would be a bit more difficult. And I want a convertible top w/ a slightly chopped windshield. I would also need to change out my radiator and related parts to use the Rootlieb Hood. I was considering using the Rootlieb cowl/windshield/seats, and manufacturing my own hood, open on the sides, that would let me match the '30 radiator to the Rootlieb Cowl via the custom hood.

K, long winded I know, but I am looking for suggestions, photos of similar builds, thoughts, and mostly I am looking for a PDF of the Rootlieb instructions that come with the kit. If anyone has built the kit and could scan the instructions I would be grateful. I am hoping it contains some detailed measurements. Since I would likely only buy components of the kit and not the entire kit, having measurements in advance would be a big help.

I have reviewed these forums quite a bit and do not find much of drama and attitude of the members of some forums. Seems to be room for Purists and for modifiers not interested in show scores? You look like a pretty good group of folks and I look forward to learning what I don't know and sharing what I think I know here.
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Speedster Build

The best I can do as those instructions are probably 7-8 years old from an old project.

Here (http://model-a-ford.com/motorsports.html) is an old page from my old website that has some pictures (broken links and all) of my various cars. Speedsters were never built with the sophisticated equipment you have at your disposal so the KISS method should apply as you start at the front and build towards the rear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RootliebPicture1.jpg (276.2 KB, 194 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
Vicky

There are a number of different Speedster styles on the Northwest Vintage Speedsters web-site at: http://www.nwvs.org/.

Also, there are two speedsters on my profile page. The rear of the Blue Speedster is two 49 International Hoods, and the rear of the Ivory Speedster is from a 47 Chevy Hood.

But....do what you like and will enjoy.

Bob
Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:33 PM   #4
QGolden

Thank you Brent for the quick reply. That is all they provide huh? OK, Well I could not blow it up well enough to read it, I have a computer with a bigger screen and will try that. Thank you. I like your Mobil Themed Speedster. I grew up in a Mobil Station in the ''60's and planned to do a similar theme in my project. Where did you get the incredible radiator cap?

Bob, Thanks for the reply, I have spent many hours at that site. Lots of great ideas and information there.

I also have been admiring your work for a while now. Nice job on the Boat Tails. I think I am going to go with a modified Pickup rear on mine, mostly because I have never seen one, and the front of the bed will give me a perch to mount a convertible top.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
Old 10-04-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
Sparky

Hi QG,

My speedster in my avatar picture has a Rootleib body. You can PM me if you have any questions. I may be able to scan and send you the assembly instructions if you want.

As far as this forum goes, it seems very speedster-tolerant! They are not stock, but they are not hotrods either and are era-appropriate so I think they fit in here better than on the H.A.M.B.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:31 PM   #6
QGolden

Hi Sparky, PM Sent, thank you very much. I agree that folks here seem tolerant, and you are right, they are era-appropriate. Old Model A's were converted into all kinds of vehicles and equipment.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
Old 12-24-2016, 02:54 AM   #7
RUNNERBUN

Post 7 reported
Old 12-24-2016, 03:20 AM   #8
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNNERBUN View Post
Post 7 reported
I think Ryan will block the poster.
Old 12-24-2016, 03:59 AM   #9
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
I think Ryan will block the poster.
He is up to 70 posts with the same junk.