Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-26-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
ken ct
BANNED

Default Mac's shipping charges again

6 small pieces that would be lost in a PO small flat rate box for $5.35/ Course they use UPS brown in a gigantic box for $12.17 for a $35 order. No wonder i order very little from them its a rip off on shipping. end of rant. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:01 PM   #2
bugsiegel

Default Re: Mac's shipping charges again

Are they profiting from the alternative shipping or just being lazy?
UPS will pick up from them direct. I don't know if the post office will do this.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:08 PM   #3
Mike51Merc

Yeah, they've also slowed down on order turnarounds (again). I'm starting to suspect that they only pack and ship on certain days, or else they are so swamped with orders that they can't keep up (I doubt that).
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
dude

They may have a contract with UPS. They may just use the most convenient,After all, you are paying the shipping. I think we know by now who has the cheapest rates.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:08 PM   #5
charles in east texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken ct View Post
6 small pieces that would be lost in a PO small flat rate box for $5.35/ Course they use UPS brown in a gigantic box for $12.17 for a $35 order. No wonder i order very little from them its a rip off on shipping. end of rant. ken ct.
Sure the post office will pick the package up at your location on their rounds. If you call, they will come and pick up the package. Only under 70 #. Charles
charles in east texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:10 PM   #6
BUBBAS IGNITION

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
AND THE OTHER SIDE OF THE STORY!!!

We ship a ton each and every day with fuel injectors and distributors ! We dont even try to ship anything cheap! However we do try to ship the product to the customer and track the package when ever possible! We pack each and every box as good as we possibly can, and insure each and every box . We use ups (the big brown truck) as they have proven to be very reliable. The post office could sometimes be cheaper but tracking is a problem and often we have to drive to the post office . I write a big check to the ups folks each week and just hope we dont loose money based on incorrect addresses, home or business delivery and other charges they hit us with as well.
Each box takes dollars for tape, boxes and packing supplys. ( 6 rolls of tape is $ 20 ) Not to count the employee that packs each and every carton.

SO from my view point lets all bitch and whine about something else for a change . Like bad parts , jap made stuff and chevrolets and oil leaks ....."Bubba"
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #7
done4

Send a message via Yahoo to done4

Well put Bubba, if ya want it at the door, ya gotta pay to play. I like to bitch about china crap, cars in general and getting grease on me when I'm pounding a cheese burger. Done4
Old 09-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #8
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBAS IGNITION View Post
AND THE OTHER SIDE OF THE STORY!!!

We ship a ton each and every day with fuel injectors and distributors ! We dont even try to ship anything cheap! However we do try to ship the product to the customer and track the package when ever possible! We pack each and every box as good as we possibly can, and insure each and every box . We use ups (the big brown truck) as they have proven to be very reliable. The post office could sometimes be cheaper but tracking is a problem and often we have to drive to the post office . I write a big check to the ups folks each week and just hope we dont loose money based on incorrect addresses, home or business delivery and other charges they hit us with as well.
Each box takes dollars for tape, boxes and packing supplys. ( 6 rolls of tape is $ 20 ) Not to count the employee that packs each and every carton.

SO from my view point lets all bitch and whine about something else for a change . Like bad parts , jap made stuff and chevrolets and oil leaks ....."Bubba"
Interesting comment about the Post Office. I was at Carline Inc. yesterday, a manufacturer of early Ford parts.

Where is Paul?

"Paul is at the PO and should be back soon."

I'm thinking ???? Shouldn't he be making early Ford parts instead?

When he gets back I ask him "why were you at the PO, I thought they delivered?"

The answer was, most of the time they don't deliver here.

You complain? "Yes, they then deliver the next day and stop again the day after."

You've complained more than onece? Yes

Oh, the efficiency of our government.

If I couldn't print out my own PO flat rate box label and drop it off at the PO down the street without waiting in line, I wouldn't use the PO either.

I recently ordered a part on eBay that was shipped thru the PO first class mail. After 3 weeks, no part. Tracking showed it left Cincinati heading for Texas and then was shipped back to the origin. Called vendor and he sent out another, arrived in a few days. Then the original arrived a few days later. THEN I had to return the original one.

Oh, forgot the mention the two letters with money orders the PO lost for me mailed on the same day together to different addresses, one for $230 and one for $70. The $230 I found the receipt for, the $70 no. I got my $230 back after the required 6 month wait and having to pay a $5 to look for it. The $70 is GWTW. Three years later the letter with the $230 MO was delivered and returned by a forum member. The PO is generally really good, but when they screw up it is REALLY bad. After this incident I haven't bought another PO money order. If one is requested, I write a note with my personal check stating I prefer to wait for my stuff until the check clears if the seller insists.

Last edited by mrtexas; 09-26-2012 at 07:30 PM.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:47 PM   #9
Henry/Kokomo

Any way you cut it, shipping is a bitch . . . . .and an expensive one at that. The high cost is bad no matter if you're the seller or the purchaser. The lack of predictability and the lengths we must all go to trying to get "stuff" moved around the country and abroad is getting rediculous. There, I feel better. End of rant. Bubba's got the right idea.
Henry/Kokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:12 PM   #10
Shadetree

I have tried to get Mac's to ship USPS, much cheaper. But they won't ship anything over $35 USPS because the post office won't make good if it gets lost. At least that is what I understand. UPS gets it to me fast but wow! It ain't cheap.

I have sent cash to my brother and sister in Christmas cards before via USPS. Three times they never received it. Never again! Who can we trust if not the post office?
Old 09-26-2012, 09:31 PM   #11
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree View Post
Who can we trust if not the post office?
I'd say no one in government that is for sure. From "The Road to Serfdom" by Hayek, the definition of inefficiency is government. There is no feedback from what the buyer pays the seller as in free enterprise.

Last edited by mrtexas; 09-26-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:41 PM   #12
sturgis 39

Mac's will ship your order the same day if you pay them extra. This is a rip off. If they shipped as orders are taken there would be no need for this extra charge. I avoid Mac's as much as possible because of the bribe for early shipping and the long wait if you do not pay the bribe.

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:57 PM   #13
Rand

I just had to re pay a 10 dollar shipping fee for the WRONG parts sent from Carpenter. Very small box I might add
Bitch....Bitch
Randy
Rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:01 PM   #14
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand View Post
I just had to re pay a 10 dollar shipping fee for the WRONG parts sent from Carpenter. Very small box I might add
Bitch....Bitch
Randy
Life's a bitch. Then you die.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:04 PM   #15
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgis 39 View Post
Mac's will ship your order the same day if you pay them extra. This is a rip off. If they shipped as orders are taken there would be no need for this extra charge. I avoid Mac's as much as possible because of the bribe for early shipping and the long wait if you do not pay the bribe.
I luck out on this one. I order from Carline Inc., he orders from Macs, he pays the shipping, but I have to pay the sales tax. The only headache for me is the sometimes long wait.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:26 PM   #16
Andy

They have added a new charge. It is another $2 for orders under $20.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:27 AM   #17
JWL
Member Emeritus

I cannot be objective. Mac's is one of the BEST suppliers. Period.

Bubba and Henry are demonstating wisdom in their posts. If a $5 shipping violation is of such vigorous complaint value, life must be awfully good.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:54 AM   #18
46ford

I always pay the extra $3.50 and the shipping when I order from Mac's. If it's a small item I order something else (like a gasket set or item to keep on the shelf) and it's all good. If I order bright and early, I often get it the next day but no more than 2 days. They've been very good about crediting me for returns, some of which I've had for awhile.

I know some of the parts are from China, but so are many of the parts on my new Ford!

Last edited by 46ford; 09-27-2012 at 04:57 AM. Reason: add
46ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:08 AM   #19
31chevy

Over all I have had good luck from Mac's although there is one Lady I would rather not talk to if you call about a part being wrong.
Gary.
31chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:50 AM   #20
Mike51Merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46ford View Post
I always pay the extra $3.50 and the shipping when I order from Mac's. If it's a small item I order something else (like a gasket set or item to keep on the shelf) and it's all good. If I order bright and early, I often get it the next day but no more than 2 days. They've been very good about crediting me for returns, some of which I've had for awhile.

I know some of the parts are from China, but so are many of the parts on my new Ford!
I placed an order last Friday with them. Six days later they still haven't notified me that it has shipped.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote