Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-13-2010, 05:46 PM   #1
josh1331

Default synthetic oil from amsoil /good/bad?

Recently rec'd infor. on Amsoil for model a engines. Have been assured it contained additional zinc necessary for our engines. Has I plan to write the company directly instead of listening to sales agent. However literature he sent me does say contains necessary zinc. But how much? does it make up for what we lost it the new oils available.
josh1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:36 PM   #2
Old182

Default Re: synthetic oil from amsoil /good/bad?

The answer to your question is not good or bad, but indifferent. FWIW: I'm not crazy about any synthetic for a Model A because the molecular structure of synthetic engine oils perform best under high heat conditions - which we don't have. If you like it, it won't hurt your engine, you just don't need it. Also, you don't need ZDDP for antiwear (although ZDDP is an excellent antioxidant - which you DO need) other than what comes in a fully formulated motor oil - your choice of brand and grade. Our engines were designed and built before any additives were included in motor oils (part of the reason for the 500 mile oil change interval), and have somehow lasted 80+ years with many still being lubricated with non-detergent, non-additized oils. Unless you're breaking-in a brand new rebuild, your camshaft and lifter interfaces are already smooth and shiny - just like they're supposed to be. I'm sure many here will disagree - let the discussion begin.
Old182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:08 AM   #3
vinepro

Well said, A dog has it's day and people are stuck in the past. modern oils work well and a engine that is not worn will run good with out synthetics.
vinepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:24 AM   #4
31coupeman

I will second that opinion, synthetics are not required and just a waist of money.
Change your oil reularly and use a good brand ( I swear by castrol). It has kept my engines spotlessly clean inside for over 25 years.
I like to see what comes out on an oil change, if there is a problem you would have some early warning, if you run synthetic for extra long periods like they recommend you could miss this warning sign.
Also note worthy: I recently talked with an old time engine builder and he highly recommends breaking in a fresh engine using diesel engine oil. It has much better start up lubrication than regular oils during that criical first minute of operation.
He suggested running this type of oil for the first 3,000 miles for break in purposes
Just my 2 cents worth.

Larry
31coupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:41 AM   #5
Preacher

I use synthetic, have been since 1971. excellent results when used in the correct application. I do NOT use it in my A or anything with a wet clutch. when following the advice already given above, and changing at 500 mile intervals....just compare the costs. that alone should sway your decision.

http://tcmafc.org/
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:48 AM   #6
Uncle Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31coupeman View Post
.....Also note worthy: I recently talked with an old time engine builder and he highly recommends breaking in a fresh engine using diesel engine oil. It has much better start up lubrication than regular oils during that criical first minute of operation.
Larry
"better start up lubrication..." is purely a function of viscosity at a given temperature. There's nothing inherently different about diesel engine oil vs gasoline engine oil as far as start up flow is concerned. If you want further understanding of the principle look up "hydrodynamic lubrication" online.

Last edited by Uncle Bob; 07-15-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:03 PM   #7
SteveM

I've used synthetics in every car I've owned for the past 30 years, except the A and a rotary (which is a 2-stroke).

Synthetics are great when it's freezing cold. Makes your battery last longer because it doesn't have to work so hard.

I recently replaced the battery in one of my cars. It was the original battery from 1997 and had 160,000 miles on it. It would probably have lasted longer, but we were stuck idling in traffic and it didn't get enough charge. Then when we got to the motel, I went to start it up, it wouldn't start and I had to buy a battery.

I don't drive the A when it's that cold out, and I don't put that many miles on it, so I would agree that it would be a waste of money to use synthetic in the A.

Steve
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:20 PM   #8
Pete
BANNED

I really like synthetic oil.
It tastes far better than regular oil.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:19 AM   #9
Terry, NJ

During my Aviation days, We changed at 50hrs. Then the oil was sampled and tested for inclusive metalics (Your engine coming apart) When the metals reached a certain point, it was recommended that the next change be at 25Hrs. these particles are the grit that wears your engine out. One of the functions of changing oil is to flush the engine out. I was talking to an Amsoil salesman and the main points he was making was the long intervals between oil changes. I don't necessarily want a long interval between oil changes for the reasons given above. I want to flush all those metalic particles out of my engine and I don't want to pay Amsoil prices to do it.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote