Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-07-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
Koby

Default Young and Eager to Learn

Hello all! My name is Koby, I'm 16 years old, live in Long Island, New York and I am currently about to finish my 10th grade year in high school. I've been into cars for about a year or so and I have to say that restoring and driving a model A has become a dream of mine. I first became interested in Model A's after attending a car show with my dad.

Anyways, I spend basically every afternoon after school searching the Internet trying to read anything I can about Model A's and the history of the Ford company! I Also search project car sites, eBay, and Craigslist adds containing model A parts to try and get a feel for prices!

I have not made any purchases yet, but my goal is to save enough money up to fully pay for my own restoration! I work for my father and aunt when ever my school work and sport schedules allow.

I am very eager to learn as Much as I can about Model A's and I hope that some of you experts will be able to help guide me.

Does anyone know of any reading material... Books, magazines etc. that I should try and get a hold of? I think I would like my Model A to be a pickup hopefully with original parts.. I know it's going to be expensive and time consuming to complete this project but I am very excited to start and am willing to put in the hours!

Thankyou all for reading this post, and please feel free make any suggestions or commens.. I know I have a lot to learn

Koby

Last edited by Koby; 06-08-2012 at 05:07 AM.
Koby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
Gary WA

Default Re: Young and Eager to Learn

You can visit some sites Brattons, Snyders, Berts in Denver and get there catalogs, they also have Many Model A books for sale all are on line but get the free catalogs to find more reading material. Go to www.mafca.com and look up your area for chapters of clubs in your state visit some meetings of the local clubs. They would love to have you as a member or just visit. Great people in the clubs. Welcome to the Hobby of Model A's. Another is www.ahooga.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 02.jpg (76.3 KB, 19 views)
Old 06-07-2012, 09:48 PM   #3
Modelakid31

Send a message via AIM to Modelakid31

Im 19 yrs old and i got my first model A of my own in 2009 and im almost done restoring it.

For you inspration from on youth to the next, check out my site in my signature. I havent gotten the chance to update it in several months tho. i plan to soon once i have some free time.

hope you get a model a soon. and remeber to have fun. this is a great hobby!
Modelakid31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:55 PM   #4
Bruce Adams

Hi Koby
Make sure you attend MODEL A DAY at Old Bethpage Village restoration this Sunday, June 10, starting at 9 AM until around 3 PM.
There will be over sixty Model A's there and about one-hundred people anxious to answer any questions and let you see any part of these cars.
Perhaps we can team you up with one or two of the auto inspection teams so you can get down and dirty with the Model A, seeing what is soupposed to be, and what is found..
Find me there and I will also advise you on the various College Scholarships and Youth Restoration programs available in the Model A field. I will bring a couple of catalogs and maintenance manuals as well as an original Model A Ford Instruction book for you to look at.
I believe you have been to a couple of Model A Ford Club of Long Island meetings already, haven't you.
Please join us for coffee and bagels in the morning.
We bring our own picnic lunches.
Looking forward to speaking with you.
Bruce Adams
Vice President-Activities
Model A Ford Club of Long Island
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:13 PM   #5
Koby

Thanks for the quick responses!

@Gary: I will definitely check out those websites and request some more catalogs.. I already have the MACs one. Thank you for the info!

@Modelakid: it's very nice to see that there are other younger model A enthusiasts out there! I will check out your site in the morning

@Bruce Adams: Thankyou for responding! Thanks for the invite to Sundays event but sadly, that's my last drivers Ed class and I have to go if I want to be able to get my liscence on my 17th birthday! I would absolutely love to attend any of your other upcoming events. I checked the Long Island Model A Club website and I didn't see any age requirements.. Are there any age restrictions for joining? Also in order to join the local chapter do I need to be a MAFCA member? That would be no problem.. Just wondering and I look forward to meeting you in the future!
Old 06-07-2012, 10:16 PM   #6
Gary WA

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
No age restrictions at all! You don't have to be a member of MAFCA But it's nice and they have a great Restorer Magazine with lots of info. It's only $35.00/yr to join.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:19 PM   #7
Koby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary WA View Post
No age restrictions at all! You don't have to be a member of MAFCA But it's nice and they have a great Restorer Magazine with lots of info. It's only $35.00/yr to join.
Browsing their site as we speak.. Anyways goodnight and thanks again!
Old 06-08-2012, 01:12 AM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

One of the best Model A books there is and for a good introduction and history of the Model A, I'd buy: "The Model A Ford, as Henry Built It". There's at least 4 or 5 more must have books to buy after you get your Model A.

Service Bulletins, Judging Standards, Owner's Manual, Parts Price List come to mind as good books for all Model A owners.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:08 AM   #9
Koby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
One of the best Model A books there is and for a good introduction and history of the Model A, I'd buy: "The Model A Ford, as Henry Built It". There's at least 4 or 5 more must have books to buy after you get your Model A.

Service Bulletins, Judging Standards, Owner's Manual, Parts Price List come to mind as good books for all Model A owners.

Thanks for the info.. I will be sure to check out some of those books this weekend!
Old 06-08-2012, 05:19 AM   #10
Steve Wastler

In order to join a local, you do need to belong to a national.
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:29 AM   #11
Koby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wastler View Post
In order to join a local, you do need to belong to a national.
I'm not sure if that's true... But not to worry! I hope to join the national club and a local club this weekend! Thanks for the input
Old 06-08-2012, 05:45 AM   #12
Steve Wastler

Just checked mafca by laws, membership in national depends on the bylaws of the local, one of my locals you do need to be in a national, the other you don't. You'll have to check with your local.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:16 AM   #13
Koby

Quote:
Just checked mafca by laws, membership in national depends on the bylaws of the local, one of my locals you do need to be in a national, the other you don't. You'll have to check with your local.
I'll check my chapter's rules on it. Thanks
Old 06-08-2012, 06:44 AM   #14
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
A member of a local is NOT covered by the national liability insurance is not a member of the national club. Since you do not yet have a car I see no reason to join the nation clubs except to get the magazine to read the restoration articles, nation events, and other hints and tips.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:27 AM   #15
Steve Wastler

Here is a line from the first paragraph from one of the local's I am a member in, the Hub City club:

"Membership in the national Model A Restorers Club (MARC) is required and membership in the Model A Ford Club of America (MAFCA) is encouraged."
Old 06-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #16
Koby

So how much does a full original restoration cost roughly for any Model A?
Old 06-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #17
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koby View Post
So how much does a full original restoration cost roughly for any Model A?
Just as much as you want to spend.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #18
Koby

Talking Re: Young and Eager to Learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
Just as much as you want to spend.
Yikes!
Old 06-08-2012, 02:24 PM   #19
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koby View Post
Yikes!
Yep, it can be daunting. The prevailing wisdom recommends buying the best older restored car you can find and is within your budget; it's cheaper than doing a complete restoration. In your case, and at your age, you might find a drivable unrestored or older resto and work on it for a while, gradually getting it where you wanted it. In a few years when you have a little more money, then you might decide to trade up, or take yours apart and begin the restoration. Allow at least two years unless you can devote a lot of time to it, and don't tear it down unless you're reasonably sure you're going to be able to put it back together.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #20
Koby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
Yep, it can be daunting. The prevailing wisdom recommends buying the best older restored car you can find and is within your budget; it's cheaper than doing a complete restoration. In your case, and at your age, you might find a drivable unrestored or older resto and work on it for a while, gradually getting it where you wanted it. In a few years when you have a little more money, then you might decide to trade up, or take yours apart and begin the restoration. Allow at least two years unless you can devote a lot of time to it, and don't tear it down unless you're reasonably sure you're going to be able to put it back together.
You're totally right! This summer I have a Job lined up in order to start saving!