Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-06-2012, 05:42 AM   #1
jeremy.klinger

Default Silly Exhaust Question

I have an original '30 Model A and after three years of hybrination just got him running again. Rougly 6 years ago I replaced the muffler/exhaust because my wife complained the smell was too strong. Well, I got him running last night and she refused to go for a spin b/c it's still too strong. Is this common for all As, or do I need to replace the system? I haven't noticed any leaks, but will look at that again as well. Thanks again for the great advice!
jeremy.klinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:49 AM   #2
Patrick L.

Default Re: Silly Exhaust Question

What smell is too strong ?? Has the exhaust system been on long enough to burn all the STUFF off it or is the exhaust smell itself too strong ?? If the exhaust itself is too strong, then we need to fix that and make sure there are no leaks at the manifold or clamp..
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:54 AM   #3
jeremy.klinger

It's definitly an exhaust smell. I know what she means; but being a (car) guy, I will drive it all day long and deal with it. However, I do want the wife with me and the kids in the rumble seat.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:17 AM   #4
Steve Wastler

If there are no 'leaks' in the exhaust, you could easily make or have made a tail pipe extension to get the exhaust out from under the back of the car. Is there color to the exhaust? blue =oil, black=fuel, white=water
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:33 AM   #5
Tom F OHIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy.klinger View Post
I have an original '30 Model A and after three years of hybrination just got him running again. Rougly 6 years ago I replaced the muffler/exhaust because my wife complained the smell was too strong. Well, I got him running last night and she refused to go for a spin b/c it's still too strong. Is this common for all As, or do I need to replace the system? I haven't noticed any leaks, but will look at that again as well. Thanks again for the great advice!
Jeremy, I had the same problem. My wife kept complaining about the fume smell. Try taking the muffler off and put it back so that it is leak tight. After I rebuilt my motor and taking everything apart and then putting it back together with new gaskets the smell went away. Its probably an exhaust leak someplace.

Tom...
Tom F OHIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:03 AM   #6
Louis

You might try a road tube on your oil servicing tube with the flex line to vent the oil fumes down underneath the car instead of fumes comming into the cockpit thru leak's at the clutch, brake and gas peddle holes and other places in the floor board that might let fumes in, Some times it's hard to tell the diff. between exh. fumes and oil fumes.
If it is exh. fumes, it is probley leaking at the manifold and exh. pipe where the clamp is, some times it is hard to get a good seal there.
I put a jack under my exh. pipe to support it, removed the clamp and took a piece of tin foil and folded it about three times and put it around the manifold and pipe, put the clamp back on, that's been over a year now an no leaks.
These are thing's that I have done and it works for me, I don't think you will ever get rid of 100% of the fumes in a model "A" ....Good luck .
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:17 AM   #7
jeremy.klinger

Steve, I do remember having a black soot come out of the exhaust upon start-up and spitting it on the ground.

Tom, I'll first try to disconnect it at the maniflold and give it a shot. I grew up just west of Toledo before I came in the military.

Louis, I always heard the manifold/exhaust connection is very sorry to say it nicely. I also heard the after-market clamps always leak and not worth it. I'll disconnect it and try the foil as a gasket, great idea! I remember the flange being wobbly because of the shape, hopefully your gasket idea will do the trick

Thanks again for the great advice!

Jeremy
Old 06-06-2012, 08:06 AM   #8
eagle

Do you have a manifold heater? That could be the source. Even if its not leaking, it will send the engine fumes into the car. Just as a trial, take some duct tape and plug the hole in the firewall. If there are any more holes, seal them with duct tape too, see if that takes care of it. My car doesn't have any exhaust smell at all. I do have a manifold heater, but keep the connecting tube off, from the heater to the firewall. I also have the engine breather tube that vents the engine down underneath the car.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:15 AM   #9
Farrell In Vancouver

Jeremy, sounds like you are running too rich!
What do the plugs look like?
Most exhaust leaks can be fixed with gaskets ans maybe a little heat to get the pipe flange mated correctly to the manifold hub. We had one aftermarket pipe that would not seal. Support it with the jack and remove the clamp, then get a good eyeball all the way around the joint. If its not lining up for angle, remove it and heat the 90 degree bend up and with a piece of pipe inserted in the end, bend it to where it fits. A little trial and error fitting and you'll get it right. The pipe flange can be heated and mated to the manifold the same way with heat. (Get a spare manifold or pull the one off the engine as its easier outside the confines of the car) Heat it up and hammer it till its seating correctly. Several suppliers list an exhaust sleeve to fit between the two for a little extra help. But if you are running so rich the fumes are stinging your eyes and the pipe pumping soot, you might want to check the entire fuel system over and either rejet the carb or check all your settings. It should not be unpleasant to drive these cars, it should be fun~!
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:57 AM   #10
bogdonj

The tin foil trick works great and is alot easier than messing around with those gaskets they sell now a days. Oil breather tube is another great idea to keep the fumes away.
1930 Ford Original Rolling Chassis- Restoring
bogdonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #11
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
You might try a road tube on your oil servicing tube with the flex line to vent the oil fumes down underneath the car instead of fumes comming into the cockpit thru leak's at the clutch, brake and gas peddle holes and other places in the floor board that might let fumes in, Some times it's hard to tell the diff. between exh. fumes and oil fumes.
If it is exh. fumes, it is probley leaking at the manifold and exh. pipe where the clamp is, some times it is hard to get a good seal there.
I put a jack under my exh. pipe to support it, removed the clamp and took a piece of tin foil and folded it about three times and put it around the manifold and pipe, put the clamp back on, that's been over a year now an no leaks.
These are thing's that I have done and it works for me, I don't think you will ever get rid of 100% of the fumes in a model "A" ....Good luck .
I think that Louis hit the nail on the head !!!
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote