Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-15-2012, 09:43 PM   #1
1oldtimer

Default another 36 door alignmant question

I used shims under the B pillar to align the door, now the body sits about 1" or so above the running board. Is this normal or do I have to redo something, also the floor pan needs to be replaced (flat sheet is oil canned now) from the trunk step up to the toe boards. If I weld in braces and weld in new floors, can I feasibly be able to no longer need the shims?.
1oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
lodown2003

Default Re: another 36 door alignmant question

that seems to be using a lot of shims. im running into the same type of problem. by doing that what will the alignment look like when the front fender is bolted on with the running board. i dont think the mounting holes would line up without modification. i removed the door from the body and just for the hell of it i placed it in the door opening with the help of a floor jack.without using the door hinges. all the gaps looked even,plus the accent lines matched the rear quarter panel and the front cowl. my conclusion is it has to do with my lower hinge.it looks like someone had tried to reweld the lower hinge to the door. looks like i will be reworking my hinge. good luck.
lodown2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
Ford coupe

Default Re: another 36 door alignmant question

If you have to many shims at the front it will also affect your front of the front fenders and rad support ad the fit of the hood..When i did my 36 coupe i made sure and bolted the car together including front end and hood...I actually had to cut and reweldmost of the hingesto make them fit but it turned out beautiful and as the saying goes you gotta do what you gotta do..Hope this helps Harry
Ford coupe is offline   Reply With Quote