Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-22-2010, 08:35 PM   #1
PABob

Default T5 transmission

I am thinking about a t5 for my 40 tudor and have a few questions. I know you use an s10 t5 but does it matter if it comes out of a 4 or 6 cylinder, 2 or 4 wheel drive? I have read the threads about splitting the wishbones, but i was woundering if anyone has installed one with out splitting the wishbones. Thanks for the info.
PABob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:03 PM   #2
X38

Default Re: T5 transmission

Do a search on the HAMB, look for Flat Ernie, there is a huge thread on this.
X38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:45 PM   #3
George G

6 cylinder has a better 1st gear ratio
Old 06-23-2010, 05:02 AM   #4
Flat Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by George G View Post
6 cylinder has a better 1st gear ratio
Unfortunately, you cannot tell what ratio a T5 has by the engine in front of it. This is by far the most persistent myth. You can only tell by decoding the tag. Both ratios were available in front of a variety of engines.

A better rule of thumb would be year of application. 88-91 is almost certain to have the better ratio. Some '91 and all after that, however, have electronic speedo.

And realize these trannys are quite old now and given the interchangeability of parts, it's not uncommon for an entire gearset to be changed out, so, much like our beloved flatheads, you almost need to open it up to be sure beyond a reasonable doubt....

There is quite the collection of threads on the HAMB. Check the link in my signature...

T5 Tech
Flat Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:29 AM   #5
cbillelder

If you have the tag on the tranny and are reasonably certain that the gears haven't been changed out, you can go to the following website to get the original application and all the gear ratios.
http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Bo...T5-ID-Tags.htm
Find the 1352-XXX number on the tag.
Good luck!
I don't why it happened, but the website above should read Borg-Warner-, not Bo...
cbillelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:59 PM   #6
Pete
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Ernie View Post
Unfortunately, you cannot tell what ratio a T5 has by the engine in front of it. This is by far the most persistent myth. You can only tell by decoding the tag. Both ratios were available in front of a variety of engines.

A better rule of thumb would be year of application. 88-91 is almost certain to have the better ratio. Some '91 and all after that, however, have electronic speedo.

And realize these trannys are quite old now and given the interchangeability of parts, it's not uncommon for an entire gearset to be changed out, so, much like our beloved flatheads, you almost need to open it up to be sure beyond a reasonable doubt....

There is quite the collection of threads on the HAMB. Check the link in my signature...
Ernie is right...No way of positive ID unless you look inside..People rebuild them and leave the original tags intact.
When ever I need one I go to my friendly transmission shop and have him build one from parts,,This way I can get the best ratios for the car and driving style it is going in. There are quite a few mods that can be put in that will enhance longeviety when building from scratch.
If a person studies transmission ratios as applied to a certain type of driving, these transmissions can be fine tuned to a variety of applications.
Attached is a pic of a way of handling the closed torque tube drive without making any mods to the back of the transmission..The pic is of a Richmond transmission but I have done T5's the same way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Race car U joint1.JPG (81.8 KB, 61 views)
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:42 PM   #7
Zurekbrau

Question Re: T5 transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Ernie is right...No way of positive ID unless you look inside..People rebuild them and leave the original tags intact.
When ever I need one I go to my friendly transmission shop and have him build one from parts,,This way I can get the best ratios for the car and driving style it is going in. There are quite a few mods that can be put in that will enhance longeviety when building from scratch.
If a person studies transmission ratios as applied to a certain type of driving, these transmissions can be fine tuned to a variety of applications.
Attached is a pic of a way of handling the closed torque tube drive without making any mods to the back of the transmission..The pic is of a Richmond transmission but I have done T5's the same way.
Is there more information about what is going on in that picture. I want to put in a T5 but have not figured out what to do about the banjo and torque tube. More options is always better.

Thanks

Rich
Old 06-23-2010, 07:31 PM   #8
poorking01

my 34 roadster has a t5 /91 yr model behind a 21 stud we had to split the wish bonenes and then modify the frame center section for it to fit i still have stock pedals and stock emer brake handle i uused a 42 ford pickup for the open drive its about 2 inches wider than stock rear end now speedway parts in nebraska has a conversion kit for open drive using your stock rear end. my rear has 373 gears tall rear tires 1st gear is a quick shift and at 70 mph im 2000rpm im sold on the 5 speed
poorking01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:51 PM   #9
Pete
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurekbrau View Post
Is there more information about what is going on in that picture. I want to put in a T5 but have not figured out what to do about the banjo and torque tube. More options is always better.

Thanks

Rich

Basically, you construct a new or modify an existing cross member to receive the Ford clamshell. There is no machine work involved other than drilling holes.
Here is a thread that we discussed all this in more detail.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1515
There is one more pic there.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:41 PM   #10
RJD

I'm in the process of doing a 40 PU I'm using a 85 s10 trans (mech speedo) a 8" rear from 66 mustang (2:80 gears & speedway brackets on the original springs) hardest part so far was drilling out the rivits where frame makes the X. I split the front WB cut and welded so they run parrell with out side frame rails and used a tie rod end to secure. still working on the rear.
RJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:47 PM   #11
Teich

Just put an overdrive in 48 ford, used one from modelaonly.com .it is a Rug style trans floor shift 28% od and the torque tube bolts to trans as the original did. the trans works really good have 4:11's now 65-70 mph are nice and quiet and fuel mileage up. look under car and it looks very original. the troque tube needed to be shortened 2" but i was able to use one from a 1939 as the are shorter i just moved the radius arm mount to match the 48 arms.
Teich is offline   Reply With Quote