Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-30-2011, 07:46 PM   #1
josh1331

Default Painting maroom garnish/dash

SOME WHILE BACK, A THREAD DETAILED HOW TO USE SPRAY PAINT TO FINISH GARNISH AND DASH THE COLOR OF MAROOM OR SOME OTHER COLOR. i KNOW THE PAINT MIGHT HAVE BEEN KRYLON AND TO USE A DARK COLOR AS BASE. ANY ASSISTANCE APPRECIATED / JOSH
josh1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Painting maroom garnish/dash

Josh, if authenticity is not important to you, then use any really dark Maroon spray paint in a can. There is no need to base it with any other color unless you are trying to mimic mahogany woodgraining.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:24 AM   #3
29FordGuy

Josh,
I was in on that thread awhile back. It was started January 28. Search for "Town Sedan window moulding". Here is the procedure I used and listed in that thread.

Thanks. I think I remember how I did it.
1. Spray on primer
2. Spray on Burgundy color enamel (I used Ace Premium enamel)
3. Hand brush black acrylic (from hobby shop)
4. Lightly brush with a dry paper towel until you get the texture you want. If you take off too much, apply some more acrylic and re-brush with towel. Don't let the towel get saturated - replace with a dry one. If careful, you can get the grain texture right up to the inside corners.
5. Final coat with auto clearcoat or spray clear enamel.
6. Hand rub to gloss finish.

As I remember that was how I did it. Remember, if you don't like it, start over or paint over it.

Have fun!. I look forward to seeing your results.

I highly recommend you give it a try. If it looks terrible, paint over it but if successful it looks so much better than plain paint.
29FordGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:00 AM   #4
josh1331

29 FORD, THANKS FOR INFOR. i WILL TRY AS U SUGGEST...WHAT IS THE BLACK ACRYLIC ? IS THAT IN A SMALL JAR? WILL IT COME OUT LIKE WOOD GRAINING? JOSH

Last edited by josh1331; 10-31-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:33 AM   #5
josh1331

It would be nice to have mahogany woodgrain but need some advice..perhaps dark brown base prime then red maroon of some kind then brush altered so it duplicate grain.josh
Old 10-31-2011, 05:38 PM   #6
29FordGuy

The black acrylic is available at art stores. It comes in a small ~2 oz plastic bottle. Just a lit'l dab'll do ya.
29FordGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:31 PM   #7
asapguy

Josh there are many methods to wood grain. The method that 29FordGuy mentions is easy & works well. I have wood grained three cars using this method. I use acrylic water base artists paints available at most art or craft stores. These colors come in small tubes & are very thick. They can be mixed or can be combined with a small amount of each color only partially mixed giving a multi color streak. I use a small piece of sponge cut from a larger piece but a wadded paper towel or cheap brush with the bristles cut to diff. lengths works also . The beauty of this method is you can continue doing it until you like your results. It may take 10-20 tries before you like the look. Simply use a damp rag to wipe off the water based paint try again. Once you like the results spray with a clear coat over the water based acrylic. I use clear Varathane spray as it holds up very well. I did a 37 Chevy 5W cp. over 25 yrs ago & it still looks great.
You can play around with an old molding or piece of flat material. I have found the hardest area is the corners. Good luck & have fun!!
asapguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:55 PM   #8
Richard Wilson

Don't forget the "How To" Model A Woodgraining article by Bill Reeder that is reprinted in MAFCA's How To Restore Your Model A Volume 2 pages107-109. If you have the bucks you might want to check out the "Grain-It" woodgrain kits that are advertised in most of the restoration type magazines.

Last edited by Richard Wilson; 10-31-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote