Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-16-2011, 04:54 PM   #1
700rpm

Default How many problems are caused by mods?

We may just be going through a rash of these, perhaps because it is the beginning of touring season and everybody's running their sea trials, but it seems like the majority problems being brought up here lately are due to some deviance from the way Henry built the cars. For example, electronic ignitions, B engines, 12v conversions, alternators, HC heads, down draft carbs, Tillies, hydraulic brakes, four blade fans, and so on. I'm a believer in "It's your car, you can do what you want," but it seems to me that a lot of headaches can be avoided by staying with Ford specs.

Just my observation.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
RcT

Default Re: How many problems are caused by mods?

I agree. In fact, I was just thinking about that a few days ago reading some of the issues brought up here. My '29 Coupe is a driver, not a show car, with no alterations. Very dependable and very few issues.
RcT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:07 PM   #3
kenparker

In adding or changing or making all these conversions to our Model A's we are being no different than what Henry was. After all isn't that what he did in 1932. Try to build a better car. For that matter he made all kind of "conversions" during the 4 year Model A production years all for the sake of improvements. Sometimes our improvements work - sometimes not. But just like Henry, we keep tinkering. ken
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:13 PM   #4
LukeDahlinger
BANNED

Good post. Why reinvent the wheel when Ford and his engineers did a hell of a good job the first time around? A properly restored Model A doesn't need 12V electrical, juice brakes, V-8 trannies, etc etc.

The only mods I believe in are HC heads and other hidden mods such as a hotter cam or cast iron drums. At least there's some benefit to those. There is no benefit to an alternator on a Model A same with a V-8 tranny.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:28 PM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

"Upgrades" for the sake of upgrades, or because it is easier then getting the original stuff working is wrong in my opinion.

Mods because they are needed, such as automatic transmission due to weakness in the legs are fine by me (not always true but I've mellowed a bit).

If those that think mods are necessary, need to drive a properly restored or low mileage original car to see that they start right up will drive 60+ MPH all day long, stop and steer easily, light up the road at night etc, etc.

But as you read below you wil see that no matter stock or "mod" if done incorrectly it will give you problems.

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 07-16-2011 at 11:13 PM. Reason: To better answer the question
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:29 PM   #6
Roadster62

Just about all problems are electrical, I've always wanted a clear reason why a 12 volt conversion is needed and why some think it is a must have item.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:03 PM   #7
just plain bill

Shortly after the model A appeared aftermarket cylinder heads and "improved" ignitions and carburetors became available. Musta been a reason. I own a Riley 2 port head with a date stamp of 4 8 30 or something like that. Winfield had heads and carburetors with aluminum manifolds in early 1930.. There has always been the inveterate tinkerer that desires just a little more and I believe there always will be. Where do you want to try to draw the line? I also post on the HAMB and there are constantly basic A questions posted on there. "Hidden" parts are still modifications of the basic parts it is just some tinkerer has packaged them in a plain wrapper so you can hide em.
just plain bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:07 PM   #8
RHD

The only answer to the original question is "Heaps".
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a Model 'A' the way it rolled out of the assembly plant door. Absolute perfection.
RHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:12 PM   #9
cars56

Trying to stay stock
No gauges
Tried modern plate distributor, now back to traditional
Thermostat? She runs better at 150 vs 160 or 180 without one
Alternator because it came with the car when purchased
But, seat belts, a fuse and battery cut off switch will stay.
cars56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:15 PM   #10
Kevin in NJ

It is interesting that a bunch guys I have talked to through the years at Hershey (they do not participate online) have been there and done that. They run thousands of miles a year on their cars. They put all the modern mods on their cars through the years. Now they are running fairly stock cars.

The guys doing the Alaska trip. I thought it was interesting that they went through so many fan belts. I am wondering if the smaller alt pulley causes damage to the belts. The one belt was failing by having the upper lay separate from the lower layer. That would be what I would expect to happen if you pull a belt around a smaller dia pulley.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:16 PM   #11
glenn in camino

I took the electronic ignition off of my deluxe delivery tour car and went back to an original stock distributor. It now runs better than ever.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:28 PM   #12
gunmetal blue

Send a message via Yahoo to gunmetal blue

My truck lives after 81 years with 84000 miles and still has standard pistons in her and getting ready to refreshen her up(restore) like henry made her. Why fix something that isn't broke.
gunmetal blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:34 PM   #13
just plain bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
Absolutely Luke I can't agree more.

You will see the 'mods' coming off and the original parts put back on, as a rule save for what you mentioned, the drums and maybe a MILD higher compression head like what Ford offered in 1931.

KISS---Keep it Stock Stupid!!!
Mods are mods. Pretty classy acronym there!
just plain bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:08 PM   #14
Milton

First, to answer the question "How many problems are caused by mods?" None, zip, nada. As with most things, do it right and it will work right.

"Why reinvent the wheel when Ford and his engineers did a hell of a good job the first time around?" Because I can, and I will also note, so did Ford and his engineers.

"But, seat belts, a fuse and battery cut off switch will stay." Hence, you drive a modified A.

"the drums and maybe a MILD higher compression head like what Ford offered in 1931.

KISS---Keep it Stock Stupid!!!"

The last time I landed on the fence like you just did I nearly passed out and I thought my child making days were over.

My car has a number of "improvements", many by others some by me. I don't understand the need for a 12 volt system but it was there already. I'm not sure about the use of the alternator either, especially since the car came with a freshly rebuilt A generator. I do know that in the process of changing these items they sure didn't understand automotive electrical systems. The majority of the mods that I did were performance oriented and a repeat of what I did 55 years ago. This time they worked. I am a firm believer in "To each his own" and when it comes to the purest among us I have nothing but respect and awe at what they have accomplished. I could possibly do likewise but it is not in my nature. So I will stick with my car and enjoy it to the fullest without ridicule to those slower than I, albeit "more original". I can appreciate the artistry without having the brush shoved down my throat or being thought less of to support shaky egos. Like Frank sang, "I had it my way".
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:37 PM   #15
Jim Mason

Probably no more than are caused by poor workmanship restoration. I see the problem more as: if it's stock more people can give help. If it's modified, fewer people can help, and even less can diagnose the interactions of one modification with another. Is it the 'modern' ignition, or the upgraded carb? Oh wait, it's also got xxx and yyy maybe they have something to do with it. How many have the same mods? With stock, you have a baseline to work from...fwiw,jm
Jim Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:43 PM   #16
V4F

i have several mods to my car . but the one greatest mod is my s-10 5 speed . ez on the motor , lower rpm at higher speeds , better town gears & more . if you have one you understand . yes my downdraft can be a problem sometimes .....................
Old 07-16-2011, 09:00 PM   #17
Bassman/NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
First, to answer the question "How many problems are caused by mods?" None, zip, nada. As with most things, do it right and it will work right.

"Why reinvent the wheel when Ford and his engineers did a hell of a good job the first time around?" Because I can, and I will also note, so did Ford and his engineers.

"But, seat belts, a fuse and battery cut off switch will stay." Hence, you drive a modified A.

"the drums and maybe a MILD higher compression head like what Ford offered in 1931.

KISS---Keep it Stock Stupid!!!"

The last time I landed on the fence like you just did I nearly passed out and I thought my child making days were over.

My car has a number of "improvements", many by others some by me. I don't understand the need for a 12 volt system but it was there already. I'm not sure about the use of the alternator either, especially since the car came with a freshly rebuilt A generator. I do know that in the process of changing these items they sure didn't understand automotive electrical systems. The majority of the mods that I did were performance oriented and a repeat of what I did 55 years ago. This time they worked. I am a firm believer in "To each his own" and when it comes to the purest among us I have nothing but respect and awe at what they have accomplished. I could possibly do likewise but it is not in my nature. So I will stick with my car and enjoy it to the fullest without ridicule to those slower than I, albeit "more original". I can appreciate the artistry without having the brush shoved down my throat or being thought less of to support shaky egos. Like Frank sang, "I had it my way".
Well said.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:31 PM   #18
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman/NZ View Post
Well said.
WELL SAID..sheeze an understatement,eh! The mans' a poet and you know it!

Hey boys...since you all are disgusted with those worthless old mods and have taken them off, why don't you at least do something good with them? Email me and I'll pay the freight for you to send them to me. Heck if their in good shape, I might even send you a thank you note and small senders fee. Come on now, don't be bashful OMG, I'm tingley all thru and can not wait. It will be like Christmas in July..yoohoo!
Oh yeah, and I'll report back here how 'things' are going.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:05 PM   #19
Jordan

I like my car just the way it is. It's full of mods, but it also has a lot of original stuff. I drive my car, so I modify it in ways that fit my need for the performance from the car.
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:58 AM   #20
Bob Johnson

Default Survey says

I did a survey on mods.

Click here to see results

Bob
Bob Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote