Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-09-2024, 02:27 PM   #1
jetrod

Default starting problem???

My 1952 F1 all stock---starts and runs great---except after running and setting for 10-15 minute it will start right up-- then after about 150 yards it starts to buck and then dies. I have an electric fuel pump booster and if I catch it soon enough it will keep on going. If it does shut down I hit the elec. pump for a few seconds and it will take right off. All the connections in the fuel system are tight, so I don't think the system is pulling air into it. So is it vapor lock?? I use the cheaper gas, would premium gas help??? Are there additives that would help? This truck usually runs beautifullly, but pulling into traffic after a brief shutdown and blocking traffic is getting old. @%!@)/> Thanks JR
jetrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 03:34 PM   #2
Seth Swoboda

Default Re: starting problem???

Does it act like it's a rich fuel mixture after you re-start? Is your power valve leaking?
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 04:53 PM   #3
47topless

Maybe you should just leave the electric pump on all the time. Your mechanical pump may be toast
47topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 09:28 PM   #4
ScubaChief60

I have a '35 V8 with mechanical fuel pump and have experienced just what you have described.

What I read on various forums is that modern fuels, especially if using ethanol, are more prone to vapor lock.

I added a 6V electric flow-thru pump on a toggle between the tank and the mechanical fuel pump and it usually solves the issue you described. I also installed a Phenolic insulating spacer between the intake manifold and the carb to prevent the carb getting hot enough to vaporize the fuel. Also insulated the fuel lines in the engine compartment.

So far it has really helped my situation.

Fairly inexpensive upgrades and what can it hurt to try?

Post results when you find what helps.
ScubaChief60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 08:42 AM   #5
Bill OH

I blocked the heat risers with core plugs and put about 4 gaskets under the carbs - no problems with heat soak - starts instantly. I have an electric pump at the tank that is only used for priming. I do not run the car below 50 degees F.
Bill OH is offline   Reply With Quote