Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-01-2023, 08:48 PM   #1
Bob from Northport

Default Mercury 54' 256 engine oil pump

Just put my Mercury in storage for the winter in my shop. Pretty good oil leak on the left side of the engine. It's either the oil pump or the spin on oil filter assembly. If it is the oil pump, does anyone make a high volume pump??
Or what do you recommend???
Old 11-01-2023, 09:55 PM   #2
miker98038

Default Re: Mercury 54' 256 engine oil pump

I think that oil pump is the tang drive rather than the hex drive. Complicates things, but I believe it can be done. Later model distributor, change your drive gear for the existing. Now your into converting the carb from the loadomatic to modern vacuum advance. All doable, but probably not a lot of gain if your oil pressure is good. I think they make kits for the pumps. If no one here knows, Ted Eaton would.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 07:52 AM   #3
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: Mercury 54' 256 engine oil pump

Quote:
Pretty good oil leak on the left side of the engine. It's either the oil pump or the spin on oil filter assembly.
IMO ...

You need to find the exact cause of the leak(s) and go from there. It is an external pump so the supply line from pan to pump gaskets/seals can leak also. If the filter spin-on adapter was non-FORD, it may be the cause.

If you find the actual pump leaking, then we can go from there.

You need to clean the area completely and then watch it closely at idle and speed.

There should be no need for a HIGH VOLUME pump (if one was available) (or if trying to hide loose bearing clearances) on your application. If there is an oil leakage in the pump supply line there may also be an outside air leak that could cause erratic oil pressure/possible cavitation.

Repair the leakage and then record start-up oil pressure when cold (fresh proper weight oil), again at temp and at increased RPM. If within spec, let it go. Recording first fire oil pressure(s) will show a possible engine wear problem(s) over time (log).

This is a street driven car and not a street sleeper, right ...

- WANNA SEE A GOOD CAR WRECK? -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oO226PgSkg

KULTULZ - HAS MOVED ON TO THE HAPPY PROVING GROUNDS
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 07:14 PM   #4
paul2748

If the leak is the oil filter, it's probably the gasket that goes between the block and the adapter. A lot of the kits use a rubber gasket that has been a source of trouble. Original type gaskets were some kind of composite material and they worked..
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 07:49 PM   #5
miker98038

The easiest way to find one of gaskets is to buy the replacement canister filter-that gasket comes with it and I’ve only seen the fiber ones. But clean things up and check first. Normally the plate/gasket leak develops when first installed or after an oil change with a tight filter. I did have one fail out of the blue once, but that’s unusual. If it’s not the leak, don’t disturb it.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote