Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-25-2022, 04:12 PM   #1
Rene R

Default "Edison" Ecometer for Model A Ford

There were lots of aftermarket accessories made for the Model A. This is perhaps one of the most obscure: The Ecometer.

I put "Edison" in quotes in the title. Why? Because it was not invented by THE Thomas Edison, but rather by his son, Thomas A. Edison, Jr.

Tom Junior was something of a tragic figure. He spent his life trying (and failing) to gain his famous father's approval and affection. Edison Senior was a very remote father, especially to his children by his first wife, including Junior, who was only eight when his mother died. Aside from those childhood traumas, he also suffered with psychological issues.

As he grew into adulthood, Tom Junior styled himself as an inventor, like his dad. But in reality he had no talent, and the majority of his "inventions" were actually scams created by others, who paid him handsomely for the use of his name.

However the Ecometer really was his own invention. The archives of the Ford Museum in Dearborn house extensive correspondence files between Junior, Ford, and Junior's very supportive wife, Beatrice. He started working on the "Ecometer" in 1915, as a carburetor attachment to improve gas mileage. In January of that year Tom wrote to Henry Ford (who was a very close friend of Edison Senior) saying that "I am striving hard to perfect a 'device' which I hope might prove of mutual benefit to us both. Therefore at all times I have your interest at heart. .. I am truly handicapped for material, I have absolutely nothing to work with." He went on to beg Ford for "small copper and brass tubing - connections - fittings - valves and etc - also ignition coils - scrap brass would indeed prove a valuable asset." Somehow or other, by 1921 he had actually produced a prototype, and sent a sample to Henry Ford for evaluation. Extensive tests were carried out by Ford engineers in May, with poor results. Ford tried to break the news to him gently, but Tom was defensive. "It appears to be quite out of the question to get anyone to test out the device according to instructions. I have tried very hard to make these instructions very plain -- but either they do not know the principle envolved [sic] or it is simple neglect. ... if the test was conducted and instructions followed out very closely I feel very confident that very different result would have been shown." Ford wasn't convinced.

Somehow or other Tom managed to go into production in the late 1920s, but the Ecometer was a total flop. I can fathom how it was supposed to work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ecometer2.jpg (52.9 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4349.jpg (131.0 KB, 144 views)

Last edited by Rene R; 11-25-2022 at 04:22 PM.
Rene R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 10:21 PM   #2
Gary WA

Default Re: "Edison" Ecometer for Model A Ford

interesting! Thanks for sharing!
Old 11-26-2022, 01:32 AM   #3
Brad in Germany

As a point of order, the one shown, the "Model A Ecometer" is for the Ford Model T (per the mounting diagram on the instructions).

The "Model A" designation is the model designation for the Ecometer, not the Ford.

Brad in Maryland
Brad in Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 07:55 AM   #4
Kurt in NJ

looks almost like a vacuum operated choke system
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 10:36 AM   #5
5851a

An adjustable vacuum leak?
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 10:42 AM   #6
katy

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary WA View Post
interesting! Thanks for sharing!
Ditto
Old 11-26-2022, 10:42 AM   #7
Rene R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad in Germany View Post
As a point of order, the one shown, the "Model A Ecometer" is for the Ford Model T (per the mounting diagram on the instructions).
Thanks for the clarification. That makes total sense.

I'm not at all clear on how it could have worked (though evidently it didn't...). All there is inside is a small flap which only partially impedes any airflow, and under what circumstances isn't clear to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4351.jpg (72.1 KB, 21 views)
Rene R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 05:27 PM   #8
fried okra

Location: Daniel Island,SouthCarolina/Knoxville, Tennessee/Sanibel Island,Florida

A very interesting story, thanks.
fried okra is offline   Reply With Quote