Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-10-2022, 09:04 PM   #1
tomcarman

Default Off topic, a little humor?

Saw this and made me chuckle.

Last edited by tomcarman; 09-10-2022 at 09:28 PM.
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 09:09 PM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: Off topic, a little humor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcarman View Post

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 09:14 PM   #3
Tinker

Thoughts: electric cars can only get around 300 miles. Don't even try and pull a boat. I still like them as a run around vehicle. 90% of our travel is less then 100 miles.

Get a hybrid if you want the best of both worlds. Or keep a old truck to pull a boat and electric to go to the grocery store, watering hole, and/or church....

This is a staged video. Funny though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTCeREg_EeU

Last edited by Tinker; 09-10-2022 at 09:36 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 09:21 PM   #4
Tinker

You could put a smaller windmill on your garage to charge your tesla after picking up your groceries however.

- Tinker aka "the midnight wizard"
Old 09-10-2022, 10:47 PM   #5
ford38v8

windmill on the hood is a good thing. The faster you go, the quicker the charge. Of all the time they've had airplanes with propellers, they could'a had windmills instead.
Old 09-11-2022, 12:07 AM   #6
aussie merc

do the sums they actualy cost more to run in $/mile then add in all the rest [like a fast charger for home $5000] and that electricity you buy to run it takes about 6 metric tonnes of coal to make
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 12:21 AM   #7
GB SISSON

Quote:
Good one! And us Washintonians have abundant hydroelectric power. This could be a good area for electric cars. Many areas burn fossil fuels to generate electricity. When electric vehicles are all they sell I bet we will be seeing a lot more nuclear power plants. There will be yet another uproar from that. And then there's the mining operations and shipping for all those batteries.....
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 08:01 AM   #8
51504bat

First, I'm a diehard car guy starting with my first car, a '31 Model A when I was 15 in 1966. And my wife owns a 2017 Chevy Volt. Its perfect for her around town and when we do use it for longer trips beyond the 50 -60 mile electric range it gets over 42 MPH on the freeway. We have a 220 home faster charger that cost less than $1,000.00 installed not $5,000.00. We have roof solar panels that put more into the grid than we use. And while I don't necessarily agree with the push for total electric cars use, CA didn't ban gasoline powered cars in 2035 only that all new cars starting in 2035 can't be gasoline powered. This may or may not turn into reality. There are many issues relating to the electrical grid being up to increased demand and electric car batteries including their disposal/recycling. As the song says "The times they are a changing" It remains to be seen just how much swimming we'll have to do. JMO
Old 09-11-2022, 08:51 AM   #9
ronn

I would chuckle, cept for the stupidity.

thought most Americans were a bit smarter.........but Im a learnin.

I went to a local car show yesterday with about 100-150 cars. was surprised that there wasnt one electric there. the concept is as interesting as it is old.

More electric trucks on the road in 1890 then any other vehicle........... gas or steam.

will be interesting to see in 20 yrs if anything has really changed.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 05:17 PM   #10
flaw'd

If you reside in a condo, apartment, duplex, trailer park, or any old town/city with grid limitations, you probably won't be going full electric...
flaw'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 07:09 PM   #11
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaw'd View Post
If you reside in a condo, apartment, duplex, trailer park, or any old town/city with grid limitations, you probably won't be going full electric...

Or in a tarpaper shack in the great North Woods and you need to get to town twice a year for flour, sugar and salt.... Oh wait, we don't HAVE electricity.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 09-11-2022, 07:38 PM   #12
tubman

I live in a trailer in the summer, and it has an extra 220 volt 50 amp outlet on my power pole. I have been thinking that an electric car might be a good choice for me.

Oh yeah, the electricity here is provided at no charge. Where you live is important, I guess.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 08:12 PM   #13
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I live in a trailer in the summer, and it has an extra 220 volt 50 amp outlet on my power pole. I have been thinking that an electric car might be a good choice for me.

Oh yeah, the electricity here is provided at no charge. Where you live is important, I guess.
Holy Cow! Free 'Gas' !
Old 09-11-2022, 08:18 PM   #14
Tony, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post

It's like free shipping
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 09:07 PM   #15
SoCalCoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
First, I'm a diehard car guy starting with my first car, a '31 Model A when I was 15 in 1966. And my wife owns a 2017 Chevy Volt. Its perfect for her around town and when we do use it for longer trips beyond the 50 -60 mile electric range it gets over 42 MPH on the freeway. We have a 220 home faster charger that cost less than $1,000.00 installed not $5,000.00. We have roof solar panels that put more into the grid than we use. And while I don't necessarily agree with the push for total electric cars use, CA didn't ban gasoline powered cars in 2035 only that all new cars starting in 2035 can't be gasoline powered. This may or may not turn into reality. There are many issues relating to the electrical grid being up to increased demand and electric car batteries including their disposal/recycling. As the song says "The times they are a changing" It remains to be seen just how much swimming we'll have to do. JMO
Thank you for your thoughtful post. I own 3 cars here in California, a 2005 V8 Mustang convertible, a 2014 Mazda 3 hatchback and a 1941 Ford Coupe flathead. Like you, I have a 100% plus solar system. The next driver car I buy will probably be all electric. Yes, gasoline and gasoline cars will be around for a long time, long after I’m dead, even here in the Peoples Republic of California (I intentionally moved here 2 years ago and love it, not everything, but overall.) As you say, “the song says "The times they are a changing"”
SoCalCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 08:17 PM   #16
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Good one! And us Washintonians have abundant hydroelectric power. This could be a good area for electric cars. Many areas burn fossil fuels to generate electricity. When electric vehicles are all they sell I bet we will be seeing a lot more nuclear power plants. There will be yet another uproar from that. And then there's the mining operations and shipping for all those batteries.....
Yep your on it. The path to non fossil fuel is nuclear. No other way to supply the demand. Other then using oil and "green" energy. There is a lot of situations where gas is used that might not be the best option. Lets define "green" energy as one that doesn't produce air pollution. There shouldn't be a thought that there is no byproduct of any product made at a mass industrial level.

Just a thought on power grids. The conventional idea is one big plant that supplies everyone. How about a grid of small powerplants everywhere (like roof panels) feeding the grid. Not the end all and there would have to be a main power supply to manage the difference. But it can't hurt.

Gas isn't going anywhere, anytime soon. Less we figure out fusion.

Last edited by Tinker; 09-12-2022 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-12-2022, 09:48 PM   #17
tomcarman

Whatever the answer is remains to be seen. The point of this post is I find humor in irony, absurdity and hipocrisy. The caricature posted embodies all 3 in my opinion. GB notes in post #7 that we here in Washington have abundant hydroelectric power. Not noted is much of that power is exported to California. Also not noted is the movement to breech up to 4 dams for environmental reasons with no plans to replace the energy lost. I believe that given incentives as opposed to mandates the free market and entrepreneurship will succeed in "building a better mousetrap". In the meantime relax and have a laugh.
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 11:01 PM   #18
GB SISSON

Quote:
Whatever the answer is remains to be seen. The point of this post is I find humor in irony, absurdity and hipocrisy. The caricature posted embodies all 3 in my opinion. GB notes in post #7 that we here in Washington have abundant hydroelectric power. Not noted is much of that power is exported to California. Also not noted is the movement to breech up to 4 dams for environmental reasons with no plans to replace the energy lost. I believe that given incentives as opposed to mandates the free market and entrepreneurship will succeed in "building a better mousetrap". In the meantime relax and have a laugh.
I asked my HS physics teacher if one could couple a generator to an electric motor. All he'd have to do was give it a spin with a rope starter kinda like my british seagull outboard. Voila, free power. Turns out my invention is thwarted by the Demon Friction.Seeing your propeller car made me think that where I live about 600' up a steep mointain road I could coast down my hill and maybe go a 1/2 mile on that charge. But alas, how would I get home? I got the irony in your pic and even showed it to my wife and a friend. We all had a good laugh. The true irony in planning on going all electric and at the same time warning of too much charging is pure Humor!
Old 09-12-2022, 11:12 PM   #19
ford38v8

Now this thread has turned a page! Tonight’s posts display a wisdom and horse sense that has been absent lately, and all without becoming political. Hoorah!
Old 09-13-2022, 09:38 AM   #20
A bones

Twelve years since I put 34 panels in the back yard.