Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-17-2022, 12:02 PM   #1
psimet

Default Radiator Shell Lacing

I need to put new lacing on my radiator shell. Every picture I see has the hardware that bolts the shell to the radiator covered by the lacing.

So help me with some basic understanding then - does the lacing that covers the heads of the bolts move enough to allow you to use a screw driver to mount it later? If not how are you all removing the shell without cutting the lacing there? There's not enough clearance to put the rivets in without the shell being off the car so are you all just putting the lacing on over the bolts or is there really enough play to get the bolts in once it's on the car?

Sorry - I'm sure it's something none of you really think about after having done it once but it's a small thing that has had me dragging my feet on getting this done.
psimet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 12:14 PM   #2
Dick Carne

Default Re: Radiator Shell Lacing

What I have typically done is to drill a small hole in the lacing once it has been riveted to the shell, and then attach the shell to the radiator using a small screw and flat washer on top of, or going through, the lacing. You may note that the shell itself is indented where the connections are made, so you should have plenty of clearance once the screw is tightened down. On each of mine, the level of the head is below the level of the lacing on either side, so there should be no contact with the back of the hood. Hope this helps.
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 12:53 PM   #3
alexiskai

On mine, I've removed the shell by temporarily removing 1-2 rivets around the fasteners. Then you can scoot the lacing aside enough to get at the bolts.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 01:43 PM   #4
psimet

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
On mine, I've removed the shell by temporarily removing 1-2 rivets around the fasteners. Then you can scoot the lacing aside enough to get at the bolts.
I'm doing the opposite so... leave the 2 around the fastener locations off and install in car after the shell is mounted?

*Also - on the rivets - I have some original lacing left on the body side of the hood below the tank an the legs of the rivets are facing out - the radiator shell done the same way or are the rivet heads out?
psimet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 01:47 PM   #5
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by psimet View Post
I'm doing the opposite so... leave the 2 around the fastener locations off and install in car after the shell is mounted?

*Also - on the rivets - I have some original lacing left on the body side of the hood below the tank an the legs of the rivets are facing out - the radiator shell done the same way or are the rivet heads out?
Rivet heads out. Yeah, you could leave them off, or put them on but without fully bending the legs. If you put them on then you don't have to keep track of them.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 04:46 PM   #6
john in illinois

My 30 Tudor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 81440AEB-0B99-48DA-9161-0B1F3F65387C.jpg (69.2 KB, 42 views)