Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-25-2010, 07:12 PM   #1
Drunkandgreasy

Default Chinese Crap wheel bearings.

Two years ago I was in a bind. The Parts shop only had a KML axle bearing for the 9" in my 58 fairlane. Reluctantly, I bought it. Bitching the whole way home.

I do my best to buy american whenever I can, but I go way outta my way when it comes to my car.

I was not shocked when earlier in the month I had some weird noise coming from the rearend. I explored other options like carrier bearings, pinion, something other than a almost two year old bearing.

I get back there, well, My 13 year old daughter gets back there, and tells me I have oil all over the brake plate. I tell her to grab the air gun and pull the wheels, and tell her how to yank the axle out and she does.

Which is bitchin just by itself.

Anyhoo, the bearing is TOTALLY gone. Lots of play. It completely skipped the usual bad bearing road noise and went straight for wobbly wallowed out and loose.

Im not leaving the parts store without an AMERICAN made bearing, no wait, TWO American made bearings tomorrow.

Yeah, It's my daily driver and yeah, I romp on it once in a while, but the last time I threw bearings in a ford rearend, they were Timken, and they lasted longer than the car!

Just felt like belting this out here,

Cheers and beers
Hodge
Drunkandgreasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:02 PM   #2
28RPU

Default Re: Chinese Crap wheel bearings.

Good luck on even finding one made in the USA or Canada.I used to work in an auto parts store and some of the bearings were only available in cheap Chinese crap version.If you find some American made ones. post here what store you found them in.
28RPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:01 PM   #3
Galaxiedriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28RPU View Post
Good luck on even finding one made in the USA or Canada.I used to work in an auto parts store and some of the bearings were only available in cheap Chinese crap version.If you find some American made ones. post here what store you found them in.

I found some at Loop 70 Automotive, an old parts store and machine shop here in Columbia, MO. I bought 4 rear bearings for my '62 Galaxie. They were NOS still in the original Ford boxes for just a few bucks each. I installed two and have two spares.

Many times, old local parts stores in small towns have a stock of old USA stuff still on the shelves. When you see them you should stop and check. The chain stores and dealers will not have them.

My Galaxie trunk has several critical items at all times, a fuel pump, Points, condenser etc in case the Pertronix fails, front wheel bearings, hydraulic floor jack (I will not use the bumper jack, not safe and why ruin a good bumper) and 4 way lug wrench. My jack and lug wrench are all nice and pretty. Go here and scan down to the "Knowing Jack" item.

http://www.62ford.com/registry/Restoration_Tips.asp

I hate made in china and American's should all refuse to buy it. They would do us in in a heartbeat if they thought they could get away with it.

I have yet to see any rubber part fron china last for a reasonable time.
Galaxiedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:23 AM   #4
George/Maine

I had a similer noise happen to me 1972 pu 9" heard road noise thought it was the payment. Wrong went to the crusie in and felt the hub cap one was hot.I had a 60 drive home and re moved the axle,bad bearing had NAPA replace bearing.But to my suppise, on mine its a dry bearing.I did replace the seal.
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:51 AM   #5
Ole Don

Congratulations on having a really cool daughter. I worked on the line at Ford for over thirty years. Almost that entire time, the front wheel bearings came in a box marked Toyo Koyo. Dont get me wrong, I hate what is happening to our country as much as the next guy, but not all Chinese and Japanese parts are bad. You are the unfortunate dude who got the worst they had to offer.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:51 PM   #6
Drunkandgreasy

Ole Don, I'll take a Japanese bearing any day. I have used Japanese parts my whole life along side the American stuff.

I agree with GALAXIEDRIVER, they would do us in given half a chance. Sometimes I think they ship over all the toxic poisonous crap on purpose.

Chinese factory worker... "Boss, this stuff is not passing QC, its emitting toxic fumes." Chinese Boss...."Ok, then ship it to the US."

As far as my daughters go, I got lucky. The 13 yrold bought a 51 chrysler on EBAY last year. She plans on having it ready by the time she gets her license...Im a lucky guy.

cheers and beers
Hodge
Drunkandgreasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:08 PM   #7
Lawrie

Mate you want to check the food you buy at the supermarket,Here in Australia,we can produce the best qual food,but look at the lables,PRODUCT of CHINA,I now shop with my reading glasses in my hand.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:25 AM   #8
Ole Don

Yes Lawrie, that happens in the US too. I bought frozen telapia. It was really good baked in the oven. We learned later it came from china and had been fed tainted fish food and raised in poor conditions. Read those labels!
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:12 AM   #9
MercuryStuff

It hard to find good parts anymore. I'd gladly pay a premium, if I know the parts are going to last
MercuryStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:25 AM   #10
X38

Some guys have had bad - Chinese- bearings basically weld themselves to the spindle and break. These were on 39-48 type spindles. Apparently once the bearing began to fail the complete failure happened pretty quickly, they pulled over and made the discovery. Lucky.
X38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:37 PM   #11
junkyardjeff

I had to replace a not too old axle bearing and axle in the 8 inch that I have in my 55,dont know if the previous bearing took out the axle or the new one was slightly larger and did not press on tight but I am glad I did not drive it to Florida last fall. I dont remember the machine shop saying the bearing fit a little loose when I picked them up.
junkyardjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:18 PM   #12
WhiteZombie

If I am not mistaken the only American made bearings are FAG. That has been a few years since I was informed of that...so it is possible those are made overseas as well.
WhiteZombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:24 PM   #13
WhiteZombie

After a little research I have found that FAG has operations in Germany Denmark China and Vietnam.
WhiteZombie is offline   Reply With Quote