Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-12-2011, 07:52 PM   #1
29FordGuy

Default My day ended with a DEAD SHORT!

I had a great day Friday driving to work in The Ol’A. I did not get much work done but did got to visit several friends and lots of smiles and hi 5s from people in town. I managed to run out of gas (forgot to fill up before). Fortunately I met my wife for lunch when I realized I was almost out of gas. She followed me and sure enough I ran out about two blocks from the gas station. She went home and got our gas can so I made it fine the last two blocks. It is the first time it has been filled up since 1970. The poor attendant did not know where the gas went in! On the way home I stopped by another friends house about two blocks from my house and when I started to leave, the car would not start, just cranked away, no fire. I found it blew a fuse. Put another in and it blew right away. DEAD SHORT!!! We towed it home (we live in hilly country so it was tricky getting it into the garage) and successfully got it in the garage. I sure love it when a plan goes together so well! Worked on it off and on today, but still do not know where the short is. I am baffled! I am using a powered continuity probe and the only wires I find that have an apparent short are the 6 wires coming from the turn signal to the lights. Any pointers from the pros? (sorry for the long drawn out story of my day!)
29FordGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
Bubby Sharp in KY

Default Re: My day ended with a DEAD SHORT!

29Ford Guy , put a light bulb 6 V in place of the fuse and disconnect one thing at a time. When the light goes out proceed from there to isolate the problem. Places to look , stop light switch , headlight connections , behind dash , especially wires to ampmeter . Good Luck Bubby Sharp in KY
Bubby Sharp in KY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:17 PM   #3
Bruce Adams

Default Re: My day ended with a DEAD SHORT!

Since you weren't beeping or driving at night, the brake switch is a likely suspect.

Put a new fuse in and hit the brakes to eliminate this possibility.

If that doesn't find the culprit, then do the item by item check, using a test light in line whrre the fuse should be.
It will light until the culprit circuit is found, assuming a short to ground, and the bulb's filament will certainly burn out long before the smoke starts to escape from the harness.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote