Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-06-2011, 10:24 AM   #1
1pickup

Default 39 40 ford front crossmember

Hello from a newbie. Here's my problem: 39 standard has bad front crossmember. pulled it out & was gonna replace w/ a 40. Wrong. they are different. found one from a 35-36 on ebay. does anybody know if they are the same, or does anybody have a take off froma MII swap they want to get rid of? Thanks
1pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:44 AM   #2
37 Coupe

Default Re: 39 40 ford front crossmember

Here is where having a good Ford parts catalog helps as my 1939 chassis book shows front crossmember for 1939 standard was part # 48-5020 . This would mean first used 1935 as 48 prefix dictates and used to 1939 standard so Ebay item will work.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:01 PM   #3
Mike B

I have one off a '35 car frame I replaced, it has stuff welded on to it for some sort of abortion engine swap I guess...if you have a torch and grinder, it'd take you less than an hour to make it new again.

You can have it for $35 plush shipping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crossmember2.jpg (77.1 KB, 34 views)
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:06 PM   #4
oldandtired

I have a front crossmember or two out in the parts bin. One is a bit pitted and the other is not. I cannot remember if the radiator mounts are still on them. Either would be usable. I do not know where you are. I am in South Carolina, 29824. Glad to see another person on Fordbarn. I can be reached at [email protected]
O&T
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:37 PM   #5
1pickup

I'm in WI.
I have good radiator mounts. left them riveted to the frame, just took the rest of the rivets out. Have a crossmember from a 40 Deluxe coupe that I tacked an MII front in already. That's a project to be worked on later. Right now, trying to get the 39 Standard tudor up & running for spring/summer. I've had this for approximately 35 years. It was built by teenagers (I was one of them) at the time. Hasn't seen the road for 12-15 or so. Gotta rebuild the stock tranny, & got a 59block getting worked on by an old timer. The spring had punched through the crossmember, & I'd rather replace it than fix it. Might as well go with a new spring & dropped axle while I'm at it too. Along w/ a new steering box. Much to do before the snow melts here. Thanks for the info everyone!
Oh yeah, GO PACK GO!
Old 02-08-2011, 07:32 PM   #6
1pickup

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 Coupe View Post
Here is where having a good Ford parts catalog helps as my 1939 chassis book shows front crossmember for 1939 standard was part # 48-5020 . This would mean first used 1935 as 48 prefix dictates and used to 1939 standard so Ebay item will work.
I'm fiding that it doesn't seem to be true that they are all the same. I have the one from my 39 Standard Tudor out. It is different than The one removed from the 40. Also, I was sent a picture of one that was supposed to be an early one, and it doesn't look like mine either. Here's the differences: 39: where the engine mounts bolt to frame, there is a 1" step down from the place where it is riveted to the siderails. The 40 has a step up to where the engine bolts on. Also, the front that rivets to the radiator support, seems to have a different angle. Mine goes about 1 1/2 inches in flat, before it angles downward, the others have a longer flat part. My holes for the rivets there are not evenly spaced, as they are on some others. 39 has 3 5/8" from outside hole to middle, and 1 5/8" from middle to inside rivet hole. What am I missing? I left the radiator mounts in the 39 frame, but not all of the early crossmembers seem to have the same angle on the front. Any ideas? Thanks for sharing your info. Dave (1pickup)
Old 02-16-2011, 05:00 PM   #7
1pickup

Thanks for the offer, but I got one off the forum that came from a 38 deluxe. it's a match.