Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-14-2018, 08:52 AM   #1
nellis003

Default 3-D printed parts

Hi all,

I recently took a tour of a company here in Chicago that has a 3-D printing division. They're able to do a lot with 3-D printing these days, especially with more rigid, steel-like materials. Nothing that could support suspension or drivetrain, but door handles, latches, etc.

I had a conversation with the head of the company after the tour, and mentioned the classic car connection. He said he'd be willing to absorb the cost of scanning a hard-to-find part, something that isn't reproduced, and putting it in their archive so it could be created on a one-off basis.

So, here's my question: Do you all have a part in mind that's extremely hard to find and not reproduced? It wouldn't even necessarily have to be a Ford - just something that's kind of the "holy grail" for car guys. And if so, is there anyone out there who would be willing to let this company scan it and return it?

Let me know what you think. This seems to me to be a good resource for that one elusive car part a lot of people need but no one can seem to find. And from what I've seen, the parts can be fairly complex.

I've posted this in the Model A forum as well.

Thanks,
Nick
nellis003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:17 AM   #2
Tim Ayers

Default Re: 3-D printed parts

Those SW crank pulley driven tach drive set-ups are hard to find and $$$ when you do.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:00 AM   #3
rockfla

Yes this window winder I need to finish our restoration BUT I would like to get the coordinates program when he is done so my cnc machinist could plug it into his CNC and duplicate it as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32windowinder2.jpg (57.7 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 32Windowwinder1.jpg (59.1 KB, 37 views)
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:22 AM   #4
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
Yes this window winder I need to finish our restoration BUT I would like to get the coordinates program when he is done so my cnc machinist could plug it into his CNC and duplicate it as well.
I was just about to do yours....hope it works out. I could be wrong on this but I thing the 3D printer has the ability to print the handle on the crank all in the same printing.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:46 AM   #5
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer View Post
I was just about to do yours....hope it works out. I could be wrong on this but I thing the 3D printer has the ability to print the handle on the crank all in the same printing.
Maybe this is a stupid question, but would the handle on the crank be free and turn? (I don't see how that would work, but these days, who knows?)
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:04 PM   #6
mfagan

How about 34 roadster outside door handles? I have one that is available.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:31 PM   #7
Karl Wescott

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Maybe this is a stupid question, but would the handle on the crank be free and turn? (I don't see how that would work, but these days, who knows?)

Some 3D processes start with a bed of powder, then fuse that into a part. It is sometimes possible to have interlocking parts like a spinning handle knob. The clearance between parts is dependent on the process and the 3d printer type.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:48 PM   #8
revkev6

how big can they do and what materials etc?? I'd love to see a 3d printed cylinder head for a flathead...
revkev6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:08 PM   #9
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by revkev6 View Post
how big can they do and what materials etc?? I'd love to see a 3d printed cylinder head for a flathead...
It can be done very easy/ I saw a program where a racing team had a 3-D but they could not print the whole head so they divided it into 4 sections and then glued all 4 sections together to make the whole head. They were even able to put it on a flow bench and test it before they had it cast. Really cool!!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:20 PM   #10
4dFord/SC

How about '40 standard grill centers?
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:12 PM   #11
Ron Pilger

The windshield header panel for a 34 Cabriolet is a bear to find. The folks who have a spare believe this component is more valuable than Elvis's gold toilet. I'd be thrilled if this part was being pumped out by a 3D printer.
Ron Pilger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:19 PM   #12
FrankWest

Unless a 3D printer can be linked into a foundry or a metal cutting milling machine how could real metal parts be built? Even if molecular metal deposition is utilized there would be no homogeneity of the metal, but it would consist of layers upon layers of molecules that would lack the strength of real molten formed metal. I think, 3D printing is fine for mock ups for the optimum layout and fitting of components into a structure. Easily formed materials like plastics could be used.

Last edited by FrankWest; 06-14-2018 at 04:56 PM.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:18 PM   #13
revkev6

Sintered metal is the term. Also look up additive machining. Amazing YouTube videos that will make any car guy drool with the possibility
revkev6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:50 AM   #14
rotorwrench

For rapid prototyping it helps to have models so that they can be checked for fit and used as patterns for casting and copy machining processes. Copy machines are not as common as they used to be. Ford had some wild copy machines like the Keller machine to make new dies for stamping. It copied the model exactly but the model was likely cast iron back in the 20s & maybe plaster models on some. This link has a non Ford example. https://www.loc.gov/item/2017689700/
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:57 AM   #15
rotorwrench

Metal technology is still evolving. There have been reports about plastic metal published in some journals but it would likely be a lot like die cast state at some time in the future. This link is an example. https://newatlas.com/new-material-steel-plastic/18013/
Right now it's more like a metallic glass but who knows what they will come up with next.

This is another link. https://news.yale.edu/2014/09/04/yal...percool-metals

Last edited by rotorwrench; 06-15-2018 at 11:09 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:03 PM   #16
itslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWest View Post
Unless a 3D printer can be linked into a foundry or a metal cutting milling machine how could real metal parts be built? Even if molecular metal deposition is utilized there would be no homogeneity of the metal, but it would consist of layers upon layers of molecules that would lack the strength of real molten formed metal...
The metal powder is melted and then fused together using a laser or electron beam. It's essentially very, very controlled welding. These processes are used frequently now in the aerospace industry, including on parts used in turbine engines. It would not be unreasonable to expect them to be stronger than a cast part. There are other processes that use a binder material, or a binder that is then melted out and the part sintered.

The major issue is cost. The equipment for metal "printing" is very expensive. The cost for even a small machine can more than the cost of an suburban "starter" house. To create parts such as a flathead head would require a machine with a large print area, which is even more expensive ($1 million or more).

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:59 PM   #17
Merc Cruzer

One of the Jay Leno videos the guy said $500 per linear inch.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:45 PM   #18
jimTN

How about the chrome strips on 37 Ford deluxe models.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:25 PM   #19
sawzall

I have been scanning parts for some time. and have a small library of rather rare parts available.. Most of which.. are made of wood ;-)

I have 3d printed thousands of items since first having access to a 3d printer in 2004 or so.. furthermore, I have functional 3d printed parts in use on one of my hot rods.. and I have used a 3d printed part to create a tool that allows for the reproduction of a rather rare part recently..

I'm still not rich.. but i can make some neat stuff..

unfortunately 3d printing (and scanning) doesn't make this stuff cheaper.. it just moves some of the requisite skills and required costs from one place to another..
Old 06-19-2018, 03:29 AM   #20
ford nut

pass.
ford nut is offline   Reply With Quote