Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-14-2010, 07:27 PM   #1
Colorado Greg

Question Everlasting Turn Signal question

I just installed turn signals on my '29 Coupe and I used an Everlasting turn signal switch. 6v pos ground system. Everything is working fine as far as the signals are concerned, lights light and blinkers blink etc....

My problem is the when everything is turned off, engine not running, there is a small light in the turn signal unit that is always on. It flashes when its supposed to, but is always on.

Do I have the incoming power wired wrong? Do I need to put in a cut off switch? Faulty turn signal switch? Should I just kill the bulb and not worry about it?

Thanks, Greg
Colorado Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:44 PM   #2
Bill Goddard

Default Re: Everlasting Turn Signal question

Try connecting the power input to a switchable power source that will be off when the key is off. Something other than a constant battery source.
Bill Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:51 PM   #3
Colorado Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Goddard View Post
Try connecting the power input to a switchable power source that will be off when the key is off. Something other than a constant battery source.
My car doesn't have any switched power, I'm using a pop up ignition. Thats why one of my thoughts was to put a cut off switch just for the turn signal.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:02 PM   #4
Bill Goddard

The power to the light and the power to the flashing function should be the same source. It appears the light is hooked to the battery and the flasher is getting power from somewhere else but not directly from the battery. try to power both functions from the same non battery switched source. If power to all assessories can be cut off when the key is in your pocket you have a switchable power source or you wouldn't leave it in the garage overnight.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:05 PM   #5
Bill Goddard

On second thought, you should have an "off switch" for the light in the off position of the turn selector. If so you could use power from the battery.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:22 PM   #6
Keith True

Is it grounded good to the column? I'm not familiar with the everlast,but with the old Signal-Stat 900 series if you do not have the switch grounded properly they will do weird things,and a glowing pilot light is one of them.Now,you do have the pilot wire from the switch going to the P on the flasher,correct?A lot of people think that P on the flasher means power.That will result in some strange things too.Are you using dedicated lights for the signals,or using your brake lights with diodes?
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:01 PM   #7
Colorado Greg

Quote:
The power to the light and the power to the flashing function should be the same source. It appears the light is hooked to the battery and the flasher is getting power from somewhere else but not directly from the battery. try to power both functions from the same non battery switched source. If power to all assessories can be cut off when the key is in your pocket you have a switchable power source or you wouldn't leave it in the garage overnight.
I'm getting power from the terminal block and it splits at the flasher. I've triple checked this wiring so I'm sure I have it correct. The only thing the key switches is the dist. Everything else on a stock Model A is always hot.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:08 PM   #8
Colorado Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
Is it grounded good to the column? I'm not familiar with the everlast,but with the old Signal-Stat 900 series if you do not have the switch grounded properly they will do weird things,and a glowing pilot light is one of them.Now,you do have the pilot wire from the switch going correct?A lot of people think that P on the flasher means power.That will result in some strange things too.Are you using dedicated lights for the signals,or using your brake lights with diodes?
I tried running a seperate ground wire and it didn't make any difference. I wired it exactly how the diagram showed and the Everlasting diagram doesn't say what the power wires are just that the blue wire goes to the 'P' on the flasher and the black wire to the 'L' on the flasher.

I'm using dedicated lights in the front and using the tail lights with standard bulbs for the rear. I also wired in a third brake/turn light in the back window that is LED.

Last edited by Colorado Greg; 12-15-2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:25 PM   #9
MikeK

Quote:
NO! That is exactly what the problem is. The indicator should be wired to the "P" terminal of a three wire flasher. Connecting the pilot ("P") lamp to the "L" (load) terminal will cause it to light constantly, except when the switch lever is in the right or left position. Then it will blink. The problem as described is exactly why flashers are made with a separate, isolated relay contact, labeled "P". Nothing other than the pilot lamp should be connected to that terminal. Simple wiring error, easily corrected. There is absolutely no need to have any switched battery source in the turn-signal circuit.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:43 PM   #10
Bruce Adams

After you correct the pilot indicator line to P terminal, you might also consider putting a 6 volt buzzer from P to ground, red to ground, black to P.
Having a beeper work when signalling is a good way to prevent it beeping all afternoon.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:07 AM   #11
Colorado Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
NO! That is exactly what the problem is. The indicator should be wired to the "P" terminal of a three wire flasher. Connecting the pilot ("P") lamp to the "L" (load) terminal will cause it to light constantly, except when the switch lever is in the right or left position. Then it will blink. The problem as described is exactly why flashers are made with a separate, isolated relay contact, labeled "P". Nothing other than the pilot lamp should be connected to that terminal. Simple wiring error, easily corrected. There is absolutely no need to have any switched battery source in the turn-signal circuit.
I do not have it wired this way. I have a three wire flasher and the blue wire from the Everlasting is connected to the 'P' and the black wire is connected to the 'L' and incoming power to the 'X'. The darn Everlasting switch does not say what the wires are for, only where they go. I'm wondering if these two wires are backwards though. What would happen if I were to reverse these two wires?
Old 12-15-2010, 12:09 AM   #12
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Adams View Post
After you correct the pilot indicator line to P terminal, you might also consider putting a 6 volt buzzer from P to ground, red to ground, black to P.
Having a beeper work when signalling is a good way to prevent it beeping all afternoon.
Yep. Unfortunately some of the guys in the club I belong to never put batteries in their hearing aids, so the beeper doesn't help.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:22 AM   #13
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Greg View Post
I do not have it wired this way. I have a three wire flasher and the blue wire from the Everlasting is connected to the 'P' and the black wire is connected to the 'L' and incoming power to the 'X'. The darn Everlasting switch does not say what the wires are for, only where they go. I'm wondering if these two wires are backwards though. What would happen if I were to reverse these two wires?
Either open the switch up to see which wire comes directly from the pilot lamp, or, if you have a fuse, put in a smaller one, like 5 amps and just try it. Worst case scenerio: oops, POP. you're out one 50 cent fuse. You can't hurt your tail lamps or the indicator by either grounding or feeding B+ directly to them. Connecting any flasher terminal directly to ground would blow the fuse.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:49 AM   #14
Kirby1374

I had the same issue. I moved the wires around on the flasher. That wasn't it. For kicks I disconnected the battery from thr car and connected the turn signal switch (flasher) directly to the battery NEGATIVE ground. And it works. Are flashers polarity specific? I just told the local parts guy for a 6volt flasher I didn't specify positive ground.

Last edited by Kirby1374; 12-15-2010 at 12:54 AM.
Kirby1374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:02 AM   #15
BillLee/Chandler, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Greg View Post
You have it wired correctly. See the article

http://www.cedarcreekas.org/TechTopi...rn_Signals.pdf

I suspect your flasher is incorrect, as you may have identified: perhaps they are polarity-sensitive, or just BAD.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:33 AM   #16
Jim Powers

I had this same problem using a Wagner 535 flasher. I uncrimped the can from the base and adjusted the metal leaves inside. Pilot light no longer glows when turn signals are off. Be careful when adjusting, slight "adjustments" have a significant effect. The can needs to be reinstalled as the surrounding air makes a difference to the heating effect of the leaves and their switching action.
Jim Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:54 AM   #17
1931 flamingo

Had same problem on the second everlast switch I put on because 1st one wouldn't work right (both wired correctly, good grounds and flasher replaced twice) finally bit bullet and got a signal stat, NO problems so far. Everlast was cheap, $20, but you get what you pay for. Only my experience. I am running early 5' fog/driving lights in front and thru the bumper lights in the back, all 6 volt.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote