Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-06-2017, 11:47 AM   #1
mrtexas

Default Gas tank cleaning with evaporust

Some may have not seen my post on the Model A forum. This would work for v8 tanks as well. I'm cleaning out my 28 gas tank again with Evaporust(Rust911 actually which is way cheaper). I tried to start her up a few days ago after letting it sit for 6 months and nothing came out of the gas line. The early 28 roadster pickup is a fresh total restoration about to be put up for sale. I had cleaned the tank out before with Evaporust but got a remote inspection camera and discovered the remaining rust on the roof of the tank. I mixed up 11 gallons of Rust911($60 makes 16 gallons) which is only about $41 instead of 11 x $30 for Evaporust. It works really good and fast. It will also probably still be good after I'm finished. I'll try to keep it filled to the tippy top and check with the inspection camera after a few days. The Rust911 is really a miracle worker for rusty stuff that can be soaked in it. I also revived the glove box hinge on my 36 and the liftgate hinge on my 41 woodie. Can't think of a better way to de-rust either one so easily especially installed on the car. It leaves no residue but dirty black water from the carbon in the rust. Another good think about Rust911 other than being so much cheaper than Evaporust is you can mix it up stronger and then it works faster.

I poked around with my endoscope this morning and discovered that filling up the tank still leaves air inside as there still was rust on the top of the tank. I took a radiator hose and cut it off so it would be higher than the top of the tank when attached to the filler neck. I then got some 1/4 inch hose and sucked as much of the air out as I could. I added around 1/2 gallon more of rust911. Other than the very top of the tank it is as clean as a whistle. Wish I had the endoscope when I had the tank out of the car!

BTW the 28 roadster pickup is for sale: http://28fordarpickup.weebly.com/

Last edited by mrtexas; 05-06-2017 at 11:52 AM.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 11:55 AM   #2
johnboy34

Default Re: Gas tank cleaning with evaporust

Good idea,now that it's clean how are you going to keep it that way?
johnboy34 is offline   Reply With Quote