Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-18-2016, 03:39 PM   #1
satelite

Default 53 PU power steering

Does anyone know of a power steering conversion for a 53 ford PU? The engine is a 51 mercury flat head V8. The wheels are 15" Ranger. Unfortunately I spent 10 weeks in the hospital and rehab getting over pneumonia and I no longer have the strength to turn the steering wheel when parked. No fun being old, but at least I'm still here. All inputs appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Don in SC
satelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 03:56 PM   #2
gearhead1952

Default Re: 53 PU power steering

The 79-84 toyota box is a popular swap. Put one in my 52 panel and love it. I have a SBF in mine so you will have to fab some mounts for the pump on your flathead.
gearhead1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:42 PM   #3
Pete
BANNED

A power assist type is a lot easier to install because it pushes on the pitman arm. There are no modifications required to the existing steering.
I don't remember what parts we used but you should be able to find out from some of the vintage stock car racing websites.

Last edited by Pete; 04-18-2016 at 07:19 PM.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:30 PM   #4
trevo

I fitted a Classic Performance unit to my 34 (which is obviously different) albeit with quite a bit of engineering without altering the car in anyway but worth the effort steers great so easy to park suggest you check them out good luck
trevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:28 PM   #5
37 Coupe

I did this installation 30 years ago and it was very succesfull. It was a power assist ram kit from a '53- '56 F-100 supplier in Calif. I cannot remember their name or if they are even in business. Everything was new and bolted right on but pump and mounting were not included.At the time I had a brand new '85 ranger pickup so that model was the one I based pump and bracketry on. Mine was a '53 so the bracket I came up with fit over drivers side water pump,I made special bolts water pump to block,sorta a double threaded stud,hex left in middle and a plate made out of aluminum bolted to stud end. It took a lot of engineering trial and error and I was lucky to never had a water pump go bad and need removed. It was one of the best things I did on that pickup that I never should have sold.