Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-04-2016, 09:59 AM   #1
J Witt

Default What to look for in a phaeton

I'm seriously thinking about buying a phaeton and wondered what those who own or have owned them have to say.

What are the weak points and advantages of that body style. For instance, to me the body structure between the doors looks like a weak spot. Do they tend to rust out in particular places? Are the tops and all that top structure hard to maintain?

What do you think?

Thanks,

John
Old 03-04-2016, 10:05 AM   #2
JohnLaVoy

Default Re: What to look for in a phaeton

I've owned my phaeton since 1965. Restored it and have driven all around the west coast. Now the downside, no roll up windows, no way of locking anything up, the seat does not adjust so you are limited to leg room. But with the top down you are in touring heaven! There is nothing like a drive with the top down (of course that is if your wife says it's ok!)
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:23 AM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

What John said, except I never put the top down. Be sure to get side curtains. Phaetons certainly do have the "cool" factor, but a Tudor really is more practical.

No weak or rust prone spots on the Phaeton to make it different than any other model.

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 03-04-2016 at 12:09 PM.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:07 AM   #4
todd3131

Growing up in one that we still have it, I hated riding in the back seat without the curtains on,
we would get blown to death.
Other than that I love that car.
todd3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:11 AM   #5
harleynut

Don't know about the two door model but the four door model is a bit of a struggle getting in and out of.....especially with the top up
harleynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:24 AM   #6
ericr

this is an interesting topic and I have often thought of trying to acquire one. Invariably the ones I see offered for sale are 28-29s, and while they are charming-looking, we all know that the narrow doors are inconvenient. And surely lining up all four doors can be a nightmare.

given the fact that body cowl structure in 30-31s was improved over the earlier models, it would be nice to have a phaeton of the later models, but I simply don't see them in the market place.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:25 PM   #7
darrylkmc

Default What to look for in a phaeton

The biggest problem l have with my 35B is trying to find origional Top Irons, mine did not have any, and l have been looking since 2008.

My phaeton sat out in a field for nearly 50 years. However l swapped motors and had it driving in 4 days.

Darryl in Fairbanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg user9967_pic10662_1319237083.jpg (59.8 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg user9967_pic8403_1308610634.jpg (53.8 KB, 153 views)
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:49 PM   #8
DougVieyra

I found John Lavoy's comments about security of articles left in car an especially noteworthy comment; one I have to deal with constantly.

Having driven my '28 Phaeton for over 50 years, both with top up and with top down, it must be said that with the top up rear visibility is severely limited and does pose a safety concern. I have helped mitigate the issue with the heavy use of rear / side view mirrors - one on each wind-wing and an additional one on each w/s stanchion.

Now on the other hand - driving with the top down, the open car offers a great deal MORE visibility to all the various traffic hazards and increases driver awareness of possible dangers.

Some have talked about being windy (wind-wings help in the front), some talk about awkward entry-exit; but that just gives an opportunity for a flexibility exercise - a good thing for older adults who need to keep fit.

There is a handicap as regards to keeping the interior (?) warm via an exhaust heater. Side-curtains certainly do help, but a good lap robe and warm coat and gloves work better when driving in cold weather.

Like all convertibles, generally leaving the top up is a good idea. The summer's sun can 'cook' the upholstery and make it hot to the touch. Leaving the top up also helps to provide (at least psychologically) a bit more 'security' for things left in the car.

Another aspect is survivability in an open car, vs a closed car. If I were asked to "get in a car and go wreak it", I would chose a closed car, not an open car.

All the above have focused on the negative side of the equation. And they are all valid and important considerations. What has not been discussed - is the sheer sense of JOY that driving / riding in an open car gives. An open car gives one an opportunity to reach out and closely interact with both God and Nature. One feels much more ALIVE and more in touch with all that is passing by. Being in an open car is an 'experience', not just a drive.

Last edited by DougVieyra; 03-04-2016 at 01:19 PM. Reason: spellin'
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 02:46 PM   #9
Dave in MN

Durability: I have driven our '29 Phaeton more than 80,000 miles after completing a full restoration. Most of those miles center around Minnesota but we also have taken it across country. There are no weak spots to the body I have discovered. My doors, body and hood are still pretty much where they were when the restoration was completed. The body panels, top and doors are so light so there is not much to cause sagging if restored properly. I have not had any problems with rust even though I don't shy from driving it if it is raining. They are good solid cars.
Driver experiences: I have never had anything stolen out of it but I am careful to take most luggage out of it when staying in a motel. It is cold in the winter. It is breezy in the summer...over 300 miles in a single day and you are tired from the constant buffeting from the wind. You have to plan for coming rain; if you wait until the first drops hit the windshield to put up the top, you will often drive soaked. Yet, it is the most fun car to drive I have ever owned. We toured Yellowstone in it and started with the top up. After about 2 miles, we pulled over and took the top down. There is no better way to see National Parks than in a Phaeton. The change of the environment is noticed immediately. Driving by Muir Woods in Mill Valley, California, the aroma from the trees was something I will never forget. The ripe aroma from miles of livestock feedlots in Nebraska is another. You don't get the sense of being right there in a closed car like you do in a Phaeton. I am getting older and it is harder to get in and out of the front with the top up, so I constantly think about building another touring car...like a '31 Slant Window but I know it will not be as much fun. My CCPU seldom is driven; its always the open car used. I even drove it to the Twin Cities Model A Ford Club's Iron Man Tour held every Leap Year Day this past Monday. Did not put on the side curtains...it was cold......Rosy cheeks for the entire day.
Great fun, I would not trade the Phaeton for any other car. JMO!

Drive through a Tree! ..................Roadtrip! ...................Young Families love rides!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Drive Trough a tree.jpg (50.1 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg Roadtrip TeePee.jpg (46.7 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg Little children like rides.jpg (62.6 KB, 93 views)

Last edited by Dave in MN; 04-04-2016 at 04:25 PM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 03:08 PM   #10
BILL WILLIAMSON

What to look for in a PHAETON???: A RICH, SINGLE, Old Lady sittin' in it, just sayin' "I JUST LOVE YOUR CAR, HONEYBUN"!!!
Bill Single
Old 03-04-2016, 05:16 PM   #11
Synchro909

More Phaetons were sold here than any other body style so plenty of them remain. I've had one for years and have driven many tens of thousands of miles. It's my favourite!
So far as security goes, I figure "Out of sight, out of mind" so I made a cover that goes from the back of the front seat to the back of the back seat and attaches at the sides. It has holes in it for the side curtain posts so that the back doors can't be opened with it on. No body these days knows how to take the side curtains off so it all good. The cover also stops stuff blowing out the back as you drive. That can happen with the top up or down.
Getting in and out - I'm about 6 feet tall (in the old measure) and slide in and out easily. It's all in the technique.
A well made top is pretty near draft proof, water proof and snug and yet gives you the flexibility of top up/top down.
I can't comment on the hood mechanism you guys have because ours is different from what you got.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:27 PM   #12
al's28/33

Phaetons allow for more people to climb in and weigh the car down..... but they are the most fun with top up or not. ANY Model "A" is fun and enjoyable.....thank goodness so many were made!
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:23 PM   #13
Mitch//pa
BANNED

I think the OP is also looking for comments on what to look for as far as structural areas, weaknesses etc to evaluate a purchase
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:56 PM   #14
J Witt

Thanks to everyone for the interesting posts. I have a nice roadster and agree about the top down experience. We mainly want more passenger space since it has worked out that us old farts have some trouble getting into the rumble seat.

I also, as Mitch said, wanted to hear about anything peculiar (Bill will like that word) to phaetons. I have to sell the roadster first, so this will be a drawn out process, which is good since there don't seem to be a lot of phaetons out there.

Regards to all,

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1899.jpg (79.4 KB, 33 views)
Old 03-04-2016, 08:38 PM   #15
Kahuna

Sell a ROADSTER to buy a Phaeton?
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:08 PM   #16
Stretch Cab

I saw a similar thread on the AACA site recently that caught my attention. Someone posted as a warning that some time back there was a 180A body available in steel available from a manufacturer. The post was to say that the buyer needed to beware of imitations. Was there ever a steel 180A replica body available?
Stretch Cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:30 PM   #17
Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Witt View Post

I also, as Mitch said, wanted to hear about anything peculiar (Bill will like that word) to phaetons.
If any Aussie ones have found there way to the U.S. be aware they have a wooden floor frame not steel like the U.S bodys have. They still have steel framed doors. (Aus 32 phaetons have the timber in the doors as well)
Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:32 PM   #18
DougVieyra

Mitch//PA: ". . .the original post was looking for comments on what to look for as far as structural areas, weaknesses etc."

If Mitch is correct in suggesting the post is asking about "structural . . . weaknesses", then I would have to say that the open cars, by nature, are not as structurally sound as are the solid 'wrap around' bodies of the coupes and sedans - Just as today's convertibles are not as solid a unit to survive a wreck as are today's 'wrap around' bodies of today's sedans.

However, short of being in a full size wreck, I believe that the Ford Phaetons are no more prone to body 'ailments' than are their Sedan brothers. Having had a plethora of Model A's of all body types over the last 50 years, I have found no instance where the phaeton was more of a problem with either body or chassis issues.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:28 AM   #19
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Witt View Post
I have to sell the roadster first, so this will be a drawn out process, which is good since there don't seem to be a lot of phaetons out there.

Regards to all,

John
John, you have some other thoughts to contemplate first. Evidently you are satisfied with your Roadster's mechanicals. Selling a car that you have 'sorted out' only to replace it with a car that you likely will need to do the same on can be frustrating for some. Just making sure you are aware of that. Second, I would take someone who is truly experience and has first-hand knowledge of these vehicles with you to look at the car prior to purchasing. This could be huge with regard to alerting you to issues.

And oh by the way, if you are interested in a phaeton body only to restore (-and then swap onto your Roadster chassis), --or if you are interested in car that was restored at one point and needs about 100 hours of work to "bring it back to life", contact me offline and I will hook you up with the owners. Both of these are 1930/31 4-door Phaetons.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:14 AM   #20
SSsssteamer

In buying a phaeton, one should look the body's sub frame over to see if it is rusted out. New sub frame parts are available but it is a lot of work to replace the body's sub frame. Check the fit of the rear doors. On our '30 Standard phaeton, through the years the rear tub had spread out at the top and made the rear doors a challenger to fit again. The rear body tub had to be narrowed up again to correct the door fit. We have a locking rear trunk so our valuables can be locked up while we are away. With side curtains in place and the exhaust manifold heater on full blast, freezing weather is quite comfortable in the phaeton for front seat occupants. Tight to get into with the top up, but once seated, it is quite comfortable for us. Living in Northwest Washington, we see a lot of rain. The phaeton has been very weather proof in all but the heaviest down pours.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote