Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-25-2016, 06:44 PM   #1
edhd58

Default Window Glass suppliers

I am at the point I need to order all window glass for my 42 Ford Fordor. Who has purchased from who and how was the service and quality?? I have several quotes, but want to order from someone that is reputable. Please let me know if you know of someone i need to stay away from or someone I should definitely buy from.

Ed
edhd58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:04 PM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: Window Glass suppliers

The Fordbarn search box is your friend.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:05 PM   #3
russcc

I would call Tiny & Sons in Pembroke MA. They order complete made up glass sets for particular cars from some place in CA. I checked on a '40 coupe, and that's what they told me. Ask for Peter. Small family run business, good reputation, in business doing antiques cars for 2 generations. You can probably get your local glass shop in KY to order them for you. I would stay away from Phillips, or any of the big glass operations as they are replacement guys for modern stuff.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:19 PM   #4
42guy

I used www.sandersrepoglass.com for my car. I only needed door glass and it fit great. I had it done a while back so I guess they still good work.
42guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:32 PM   #5
Kube

Since Sanders sold out, I am sorely disappointed with the new "quality" and lack of service the new owner provides (doesn't provide). The last set I got from them was the last set I will get from them.
Glass was too thin to seat properly in the quarters. Door glass - both sides, was "foggy".
They would do nothing about it.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:40 PM   #6
edhd58

Thanks RUSCC, my local (30 minutes away is local for me) told me to buy from somewhere that has the patterns. They said they can do it, but time is money and to make patterns, test fit then cut the glass takes time. Where I am (boonies) getting some one to do things on vintage car is like pulling teeth seems like. SOOOOO I am looking for a supplier to buy the glass from. The local place will install for sure, they just don't think I want to pay to have them make it.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:43 PM   #7
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Since Sanders sold out, I am sorely disappointed with the new "quality" and lack of service the new owner provides (doesn't provide). The last set I got from them was the last set I will get from them.
Glass was too thin to seat properly in the quarters. Door glass - both sides, was "foggy".
They would do nothing about it.
Oh shoot! I just ordered glass from them last week for my Zephyr! Guess I'll see how it turns out. I know they once provided a quality product.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:54 PM   #8
edhd58

Kube, thanks for the info, that's the kind of knowledge i need to know. So far I have quotes form Street Rod Glass in Riverside CA, and Metro Muscle Cars near Atlanta GA, Vintage Auto Glass for $500 but I dont know where they are.Classic Flat Glass in CA. Everybody has it for about the same price $500 plus shipping.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:00 PM   #9
Talkwrench

I got mine from bobs a few years back , can't complain.. The only thing is I don't know if the windscreen is safey glass.. There was no stamping on it? Kept my mouth shut and it past through the vehicle test here.
http://bobsclassicautoglass.com
Old 01-25-2016, 08:13 PM   #10
edhd58

Just looked at Bob's, they're actually cheaper than most. I guess the windshield has to made to standard specs. thanks Talkwrench
Old 01-25-2016, 08:21 PM   #11
deuce_roadster

I have been happy with Sanders. My wagon took 14 pieces and each one was perfect including black edging. Sorry to hear Kube had a bad experience. Maybe Ken/Alabama will update us on what his set is like.

Last edited by deuce_roadster; 01-25-2016 at 08:23 PM. Reason: miscounted number of pieces
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:38 PM   #12
barnfind

If you know the exact model info, this company was pretty easy to deal with and
they have 1000s of patterns. They told me the plant was in south Fla from what I remember.

http://www.vintageglass.com/
barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:02 PM   #13
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
I have been happy with Sanders. My wagon took 14 pieces and each one was perfect including black edging. Sorry to hear Kube had a bad experience. Maybe Ken/Alabama will update us on what his set is like.
I have my glass cut locally. About 1/4 the price of Sanders but I have to etch the codes and tar the edges. Fortunately both tasks are easily done.

I have to say, I was very surprised at how I was treated by Sanders with that set (a '40 coupe). They told me the fog "happens on occasion" and the thin glass? They told me it is purchased by a gauge thickness and it varies.
While I totally believe the gauge thickness thing, I can't beleive they can't insist on getting it close to .250". Probably costs a bit more but then they could supply the correct stuff. My guy in town certainly does.
By the way, front glass (wind shields) were about 3/16" too tall. Was told they use the correct patterns. Yep, no doubt they do. Still takes someone that knows what they are doing with the correct pattern. Or cares...
Bottom line? They pretty much in so many words told me TS.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:08 PM   #14
edhd58

barnfind, you have purchased from vintageglass yourself? deuce, how long has it been since you used Sanders?
Old 01-25-2016, 09:15 PM   #15
35fordtn

I used Sander's last year for a side glass for a 1935. It was 1/4" too short at the front. They offer a great service as they will "bug" the glass with your date code regardless. I prefer after that experience to have my glass cut locally.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:25 PM   #16
edhd58

Its sounding more and more like I need to steer clear of Sanders
Old 01-25-2016, 09:28 PM   #17
deuce_roadster

EDH58- My experience was 2013- 40 Ford wagon. 2015 32 Ford 5w coupe. No issues at all.
I have seen their patterns which they got from Sanders when he wanted to retire. Pieces I got were cut with a computer controlled water cutter.
Was I just lucky? Maybe, I have only 2 data points. In the next year I will be doing my 40 v8 coupe so will see if there are any problems and will report if I have any trouble.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:50 PM   #18
paul2748

One way to tell if it's safety glass is to point an end of a pen or pencil at the glass. If you get a double pattern, it is laminated safety glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkwrench View Post
I got mine from bobs a few years back , can't complain.. The only thing is I don't know if the windscreen is safey glass.. There was no stamping on it? Kept my mouth shut and it past through the vehicle test here.
http://bobsclassicautoglass.com
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 02:32 PM   #19
barnfind

edhd58 - Yes I bought a side glass set for coupe a few years ago. I highly recommend speaking to a human to determine if the pattern and price is good. You can then use the internet to place the order and save a few bucks. Delivery was as promised and packaged very well.
barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 02:37 PM   #20
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhd58 View Post
Kube, thanks for the info, that's the kind of knowledge i need to know. So far I have quotes form Street Rod Glass in Riverside CA, and Metro Muscle Cars near Atlanta GA, Vintage Auto Glass for $500 but I dont know where they are.Classic Flat Glass in CA. Everybody has it for about the same price $500 plus shipping.
I got the windshield glass and the glass setting tape for my '39 p/u from Street Rod Glass in Riverside. I'm very happy with it and the service I got. JMO.