Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-26-2015, 12:12 PM   #1
fourbangerbob

Default Rumble Trouble!!!

I converted my Brookville 29 body from trunk to rumble seat. I put in the curved rumble rear panel and now the panel below the rumble lid "bowes out"---see the pic--I can push it in with my thumb---how can a get it to stay flush--I had to take out the angle support to install the curved panel.

Help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender (1).jpg (26.9 KB, 83 views)
fourbangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 12:30 PM   #2
wrndln

Default Re: Rumble Trouble!!!

Bob,
You need an original lower horizontal panel stiffening bracket. They are made of thicker steel to align with the trunk lid. Repro lower panels have a cheesy stiffening bracket made of thin sheetmetal that isn't formed correctly and even it it was, it is too thin to hold the correct position. I had the same problem on my 28 coupe until I found and installed an original lower panel with the original reinforcing bracket in it. The original panel/brackets made all the difference in the world! I am attaching an original 30/31 panel below the trunk with the horizontal bracket that is correct. 28/29 roadsters use the same brackets as 30/31 do. It also has the vertical spare tire support bracket. You don't need the vertical support bracket since you aren't going to mount a spare tire on the rear.
Rusty Nelson
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Panel below trunk 30-31 green 2.jpg (89.8 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by wrndln; 12-26-2015 at 12:43 PM.
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 12:55 PM   #3
fourbangerbob

Rusty,
I should have called you to get the answer!! Hope you had a good Christmas. The Brookville panel is 9.5 inches tall, are the factory panels the same height?
fourbangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 01:22 PM   #4
wrndln

Yes, they are. The repro panels are close, but no cigar. I think many people with this problem use a repro sheetmetal panel with an original stiffening bracket. I sold my two 30/31 panels below the trunk on eBay a years or so ago. They don't come up very often on eBay. I don't know if I have any more panels with the stiffening rib or just the stiffening rib itself. The picture you posted doesn't show the problem very well. It is kind of blurry. I couldn't see how much the gap is. I assume the Brookville lid is formed like the original lids.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote