Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-07-2015, 07:47 PM   #1
twilder

Default Headlights

I'm having trouble keeping all my lights on. When I turn the light switch on they all work. but as I turn the steering wheel it causes the switch to turn off. Is there another contact switch maybe needing replaced inside the steering box other that the one on the wiring harness? Also, all lights work except the passenger side high beam. New wiring, new bulbs, everything has been replaced
twilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:37 PM   #2
Brentwood Bob

Default Re: Headlights

Make sure the fork is correctly positioned in the light switch housing, and the plate is also in the indexed notch and that the switch is working correctly.
The passenger high beam has a problem most likely in the light socket.
Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:09 PM   #3
Bob Johnson

see link below

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...t=light+switch
Bob Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:27 PM   #4
BILL WILLIAMSON

Minervas' light rod was dragging. Made a Play Dough dam around the switch lever, filled it with oil & let it sit for 3 days----PROBLEM SOLVED!
Bill W.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:55 PM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilder View Post
...all lights work except the passenger side high beam. New wiring, new bulbs, everything has been replaced
Original style connectors at the headlight bucket are known to be a cause of problems.
Old 08-08-2015, 05:33 PM   #6
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Original style connectors at the headlight bucket are known to be a cause of problems.
Someone suggested a little lubricant on the bulb or socket contacts, so they "settle" in properly, & possibly avoid the socket contacts from touching each other.
Bill W.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:10 AM   #7
rudvirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilder View Post
I'm having trouble keeping all my lights on. When I turn the light switch on they all work. but as I turn the steering wheel it causes the switch to turn off. Is there another contact switch maybe needing replaced inside the steering box other that the one on the wiring harness? Also, all lights work except the passenger side high beam. New wiring, new bulbs, everything has been replaced
For your headlight clean the headlight where it bolts to the bar you might have a bad ground there. for the steering wheel you might need a small bushing underneath the switch.
rudvirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:05 AM   #8
Henry1953

My switch rod had a raised area right where the lever was formed onto the round center. That was dragging on the steering wheel causing the switch to move when I turned the wheel. I filed the area under the lever until it was flush with the surrounding area and that solved the problem.
Henry1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:53 AM   #9
twilder

Thanks for all the suggestions. Haven't had time to look into it further, but will check the items you all have suggested
twilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 03:52 PM   #10
Rich Bowes

I had the same problem with the lights turning off due to the switch being moved as I turned the steering wheel. I sanded down the steering rod to ensure that it wasn't binding inside the steering column, and the problem remained. I then took my Dremel tool and lightly ground down the perimeter of the steering wheel recess into which horn button / light switch fits, making this space slightly larger. Problem solved.
Rich Bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:51 PM   #11
rscardina

I had the same issue due to the switch moving to the off position as I turned the steering wheel. As Bill mentioned I created a dam to hold oil where the switch is on the steering wheel and it did the trick.
rscardina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 05:51 PM   #12
28Ca8149

There is a site as to how to fix this .Put a washer on the horn rod between the steering wheel and the and column
28Ca8149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:28 PM   #13
Billy Hands

HI, I know this an an old post but do you have any suggestions. My lights work if I wiggle where the wires go into the bucket but that thing gets hot on one side and the passenger side the screw get real hot even though the light isn't working. I'm assuming someone over tightened the adjusting screw.
Billy Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 05:47 AM   #14
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Hands View Post
HI, I know this an an old post but do you have any suggestions. My lights work if I wiggle where the wires go into the bucket but that thing gets hot on one side and the passenger side the screw get real hot even though the light isn't working. I'm assuming someone over tightened the adjusting screw.
Billy,
Tightened Minervas' adjusting screw & it sizzled & got HOT Backed out 1/2 turn & it was OK
Bill W.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:54 AM   #15
JDupuis

Hi Billy, as Bill W. suggested, you may have over tighten the adjustment screw. Doing that will cause the system to short out causing the hot spot. Are you using the original style wire connector in the headlight? If so, the replacement style wire holders are difficult to get set properly. I personally use shielded butt connectors in the headlights. I was always replacing the original connectors, because one wire would slide sideways in the holder and ground itself to the light assembly body. Although what I've is not original, it is hidden inside the headlight where no one sees it. I've never had a problem since. Good Luck and Welcome to the barn. Jeff
Old 07-02-2017, 01:25 PM   #16
Billy Hands

Hello Jeff,
I replaced the original connectors with insulated connectors like you did. I can get one side to work in low beam, but not high, but then going back to off I lose running lights or the low beam in one or both. I think it's the switch. I'm going to see if I can get it taken out and cleaned up later today. Thank you everyone and as soon as I figure out how to post pics of the truck I will. I've tried three times and the forum won't let me for some reason.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:39 PM   #17
CarlG

Try reducing the size of your pictures, ie: lower resolution. That usually is the problem.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:55 PM   #18
Billy Hands

Here are a couple pics, at least I think so .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170624_100245377 (2).jpg (48.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170624_095002609 (2).jpg (81.4 KB, 28 views)
Old 07-02-2017, 08:05 PM   #19
1955cj5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Hands View Post
Hello Jeff,
I replaced the original connectors with insulated connectors like you did. I can get one side to work in low beam, but not high, but then going back to off I lose running lights or the low beam in one or both. I think it's the switch. I'm going to see if I can get it taken out and cleaned up later today. Thank you everyone and as soon as I figure out how to post pics of the truck I will. I've tried three times and the forum won't let me for some reason.
It might be that you have a intermittent ground...the headlights ground through the sockets and the buckets, light bar etc....

Nice looking pickup!!
Old 07-03-2017, 10:36 AM   #20
Jerry in Shasta

I use a .45 cal. bore brush and light oil to clean the steering column passage, works good for me.
JB