Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-22-2015, 03:06 PM   #1
Mcb12

Default New owner, lots of questions

Just bought a 1931 Coupe, this was a 50 yr driver that was restored in lates 80s. still in great shape, probably got some freshening up mid 2000's. I gave it a once over, fluids, check brakes, fuel.... everything looks good. she runs good, but I am still getting used to the sounds. I have a minor exhaust leak that I will try to tighten soon.
First though. I noticed that it spewed out water (overheated) when driving 40plus mph for a few miles. it would stop when I backed her off. When I got home and cooled, I refilled the radiator, it only took half gallon. Could it have been to full to begin with? (there is very new looking water pump and radiator also is in great shape.
Secondly. I want to give it a complete lube job. Is there a online chart showing all areas needing to be checked?
Thanks for the information that I haver already gleaned from the forum.
Mcb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 03:28 PM   #2
bunnyc

Default Re: New owner, lots of questions

I'll answer the easy one. I'm sure others will chime in on the exhaust and overheating.
http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/modelalubrication.htm
bunnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 03:39 PM   #3
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Welcome to the Barn. Yes it could have been too full as that is a common mistake. Vendors such as Macs and Snyders have poster sized lube charts that you can post on your garage wall. Again welcome and don't be afraid to ask dumb questions because there is no such thing on this forum M Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 04:11 PM   #4
Mcb12

thanks for the link, do you know if there is anyone selling those, it would be handy and look pretty neet in the shop.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:44 PM   #5
Redbird

Did a set of tools come with the car? Some keep them under the seat or in the trunk if not a rumble seat. A grease gun is part of the tool set. There are around 20 grease zerks. These cars have a unique zerk. It is fun to trace them all down a grease them. I am also a new owner. You will learn a lot on this forum by asking or searching past threads.
Redbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 04:49 PM   #6
Charles Coe

You may be losing water at the radiator cap because of a faulty gasket rather than overheating. There are numerous threads discussing this which can be found using the search function. I would check the gasket unless you are sure it is actually overheating.
Charles Coe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 05:15 PM   #7
Mcb12

No tool kit Redbird, I will have to put together one. The overflow hose is open and water does flow out. the gurgling of water out of the cap only happens on prolonged runs. My car has the Qual cap, when I open it there is just a rubber flap lying over the top. The cap does not seem very tite at all. My water pump has an odd looking zerk on the fan side and a nurled nob on the motor side? It is almost 90 today and I am at 5000 foot elevation.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:55 PM   #8
JD 1931

When filling the radiator don't top it off just fill to the baffle, it will find it own level if you overfill...
JD 1931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:29 PM   #9
1crosscut

Quails are notorious for leaking. You may need to cut a thicker gasket or add a thinner one.
Get a cheap dial meat thermometer and use it to check your water temperature. Takes all the guessing out of it as to weather it is over heating or not.