Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-16-2015, 10:11 PM   #1
Vicky

Angry Not a Pleasent Experience

I was only going to be home a short time, so I parked our Vicky in the street. A short time later, the door bell rang with my neighbor telling me that when he backed out of his driveway, he "bumped" my car. It rolled the side under the fender, and the bead on the inside in broken. He said his back-up sensors didn't go off. Really???? I guess that is how how drives. I will never park there again!

We have driven this car over 40,000 miles, including 2200 miles on the 2013 Great Race. Now, parked in front of our house it gets hit?

I am not very pleased!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (54.0 KB, 460 views)
Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 10:14 PM   #2
al's28/33

Default Re: Not a Pleasent Experience

well since he admitted his wrong doing, you are going to have it removed, repaired and repainted and he will pay all the costs, no ?
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 10:18 PM   #3
Vicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by al's28/33 View Post
well since he admitted his wrong doing, you are going to have it removed, repaired and repainted and he will pay all the costs, no ?
Yes, either him.....or his insurance. He thought they would just hammer it out, and repainted the top surface. The repair estimates will shock him, I'm sure.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:50 PM   #4
1930artdeco

At least he admitted hitting the car.

Mike
Old 05-16-2015, 11:08 PM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Two things come to mind;

1) Why not have a professional repair it since there is no cost to you?
2) These sensors in our cars are making already bad drivers, worse. He just confessed to you, "since I have back up sensors I have no need to look for myself". A chill ran up my spine when you posted what he said. The sensor missed a whole car, what if it were a child?
Old 05-17-2015, 12:18 AM   #6
Mitch//pa
BANNED

if he thinks its going to be knocked out and retouched on the car he will not be paying out of pocket..
take your car to the shop of your choice hopefully someone that knows model A's and whats involved to work on them. get an estimate from them and hand it to his insurance adjuster.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:36 AM   #7
mhsprecher

Bad luck, but if something is going to happen, let it be that rather than while driving.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:22 AM   #8
Bob Bidonde

From similar experiences, I feel your anxiety. My Coupe has been bumped 4 times since it was was restored in 1980. In each case the insurance company's response was excellent.

Your Victoria is beautiful.

Looking at the impact place, I would also look closely at the fender support and alignment of the headlights relative to the radiator shell.

Good luck!
Old 05-17-2015, 08:21 AM   #9
TDO

At least he was honest enough to come and tell you. I hate to here that he depends on his sensors to tell him how to drive instead of his eyes. Last week some one plowed in to my utility trailer and drove it into the side of my garage, taking out one block wall, and totaling the trailer. and some how drove off. My home owners will pay for it, mines the 1,000 dollar deductible. My luck they will raise my insurance.
TDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:37 AM   #10
Stretch Cab

Just wondering, do you need a police report to turn in a claim like this?
Stretch Cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:43 AM   #11
BRENT in 10-uh-C

While I realize you are frustrated, ...I suppose my attitude is more towards 'whats the big deal'. It is only a car, ...not a living thing! From experience, I know it can be repaired!

Honestly, in my view holding animosity, frustration, or writing this to fault a neighbor is part of the problem with society today. This neighbor admitted he made a mistake, ...and honestly gave a reasonable explanation as to how his mistake occurred. We are ALL human and I am pretty we ALL make mistakes. If I were in your shoes (--which BTW I have been), I definitely would try to make it as pleasant of an experience for your neighbor as possible. I am not saying you need to absorb all responsibility but a positive & forgiving attitude throughout this entire incident will likely pay huge dividends to your health and to your neighbor's health. THAT in my opinion is what matters in this hobby!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:22 AM   #12
Vicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
While I realize you are frustrated, ...I suppose my attitude is more towards 'whats the big deal'. It is only a car, ...not a living thing! From experience, I know it can be repaired!

Honestly, in my view holding animosity, frustration, or writing this to fault a neighbor is part of the problem with society today. This neighbor admitted he made a mistake, ...and honestly gave a reasonable explanation as to how his mistake occurred. We are ALL human and I am pretty we ALL make mistakes. If I were in your shoes (--which BTW I have been), I definitely would try to make it as pleasant of an experience for your neighbor as possible. I am not saying you need to absorb all responsibility but a positive & forgiving attitude throughout this entire incident will likely pay huge dividends to your health and to your neighbor's health. THAT in my opinion is what matters in this hobby!
Thanks for your insight and concern for my health. Now I understand the "problem with society to today". Wow!!
Old 05-17-2015, 09:29 AM   #13
SeaSlugs

Quote:

I agree, yes it sucks big time to have to deal with the car being repaired he was honest enough to come tell you. Dont forget that while its getting repaired he is still your neighbor. I would try to be civil about it as your going to be neighbors for a long time.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:13 AM   #14
TDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch Cab View Post
Just wondering, do you need a police report to turn in a claim like this?
If your referring to post #9 yes, If for post #I no
TDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:29 AM   #15
H. L. Chauvin

This may or may not be the last car your neighbor will collide with after his most embarrassing experience; but, if he is the contrite type to ring your door bell, can anyone imagine the level of sincere guilt within that he feels.

Most importantly, thanks for your sharing this learning experience in life, and taking the time to post your experience ...... it is not only most educational, but it can remind us all that even though there is no safe place to park our Model A, we should always strive to search for the safest parking place available; and also be cautious while backing up ...... at our age, we have already experienced that: "our necks don't flex" like when young.

I backed into my youngest son's car not too long ago; and my oldest son backed into my wife's van not too long ago ...... our very calm insurance agent made us all feel maybe slightly less guilty when he told us that we were very normal humans and that accidents will "always" happen to everyone in life -- and that's why they offer accident insurance.

Five (5) years or less from now, this incident will appear minor ....... hope this helps .... and thanks again for sharing your experience.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:44 AM   #16
1wonton
BANNED

My "positive and forgiving" attitude would be to plow my truck into the neighbors car. Just say your back-up warning device had not yet been invented.
1wonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 11:06 AM   #17
clo2jim

From your picture, with the angle of the license plate and horn, it looks like there may be more damage then just the fender.

My Town Sedan took a hit on the end of the bumper some time before I got it - bent one bumper arm - cracked the other - bent the frame horn about an inch or so - crumbled the radiator apron and part of the fender attached to the bumper arm - very poor repairs - essentially nothing - filled in the crumple (1/4") (with bondo) on the fender with at the bumper horn and just repainted - left the rest of the stuff alone except for welding the crack on one of the bumper arms. I am in the process of straightening things out it now.
clo2jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:12 PM   #18
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:

Yes, at least the guy was honest enough to come up and ring your doorbell.

Try not to go too hard on him. It CAN be repaired. Similar situation happened to me about a year and a half ago. Guy's 17 year old daughter rammed into my car parked on the street, really did a number on it. She couldn't flee because her Hyundai was totaled, my Ford Escape was still driveable. She was totally at fault, driving too fast being stupid lost control. Her insurance company made it right I was happy with the outcome. I still wave to the guy when I see him. Daughter quit school two weeks before graduation got a bun in the oven from a low life boyfriend.

I figure the man has a lot more to be worried about than I do anyway
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 02:17 PM   #19
harleytoprock

Imagine how you would have felt if you found this damage and no one rang your door bell.
Now, that would truly suck.
harleytoprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 03:50 PM   #20
Henry1953

During my first restoration, the four fenders were off and temporarily stacked next to a tree in our back yard. A guy working on the house ramed into the tree and all four of my fenders because he wasn't looking. He took them and had them"repaired". Needless to say, I eventually had to get replacements.

I was very angry, but I never let him know it. I was nice.
Henry1953 is offline   Reply With Quote