Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-11-2015, 08:46 AM   #1
Cracker39

Default Trailer Tramp

Prunella would not qualify as a trailer "queen" - so I guess she's just a solid little tramp that uses an enclosed trailer as a convenience. We like to stay at bed and breakfast facilities where interesting tour possibilities for the Model A are just down the road or around the corner. We'll seldom be more than 50 miles from the trailer and, in the event of a breakdown, all we have to do is go get the trailer and load Prunella in using an electric winch. There are literally hundreds of places of interest within a day's drive, using the truck and trailer, but only a few within reasonable driving distance for the Model A running solo. Too, many of the roads along the way to tour sites pass through boring areas and/or require driving on freeways or through large cities. The trailer also provides overnight security when parked, the protection from hail and other hazards on the road, and a reasonable complement of tools and parts to effect minor repairs - out of the weather. It works for us, but I haven't read too many comments from others about this method of touring?
Cracker39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:02 AM   #2
curtisldean

Default Re: Trailer Tramp

I think that is a great idea, it opens up so many possibilities.
curtisldean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:14 AM   #3
Not George

I agree!
Not George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:27 AM   #4
pgerhardt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker39 View Post
Prunella would not qualify as a trailer "queen" - so I guess she's just a solid little tramp that uses an enclosed trailer as a convenience. We like to stay at bed and breakfast facilities where interesting tour possibilities for the Model A are just down the road or around the corner. We'll seldom be more than 50 miles from the trailer and, in the event of a breakdown, all we have to do is go get the trailer and load Prunella in using an electric winch. There are literally hundreds of places of interest within a day's drive, using the truck and trailer, but only a few within reasonable driving distance for the Model A running solo. Too, many of the roads along the way to tour sites pass through boring areas and/or require driving on freeways or through large cities. The trailer also provides overnight security when parked, the protection from hail and other hazards on the road, and a reasonable complement of tools and parts to effect minor repairs - out of the weather. It works for us, but I haven't read too many comments from others about this method of touring?
A little confused (don't worry - my usual state ) how do you get back to your trailer? A taxi?
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:29 AM   #5
BILL WILLIAMSON

The words "Trailer Queens" have been tossed around & sometimes translated to be something NEGATIVE!!
We should do stuff like we WANT to, or what we can AFFORD to do.
IF I had the $$$$$$'s, I'd have a trailer with a Man Cave Lounge, in the front!!
Bill W.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:36 AM   #6
Cracker39

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgerhardt View Post
A little confused (don't worry - my usual state ) how do you get back to your trailer? A taxi?
A taxi or other ride would work if we were broke down - but the idea is to plan the tour part as a round trip. Otherwise, it's like canoeing downstream; you need to have a return ride at the finish!
Old 04-11-2015, 09:47 AM   #7
Cracker39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
The words "Trailer Queens" have been tossed around & sometimes translated to be something NEGATIVE!!
We should do stuff like we WANT to, or what we can AFFORD to do.
IF I had the $$$$$$'s, I'd have a trailer with a Man Cave Lounge, in the front!!
Bill W.
Some of the "toy hauler" travel trailers I've been reading about lately could probably handle a Model A - but at $70,000, plus $65,000 for a tow vehicle, they're sure as heck out of my league! The enclosed car hauler could, however, be turned into a fairly decent camper once the A was unloaded. All it takes is a little imagination - but I've given up on camping and I now prefer a plush bed and a good restaurant!
Old 04-11-2015, 10:35 AM   #8
Mitch//pa
BANNED

i have 2 trailer queens...and do similar as crack39.
you can always uber it back to the trailer
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 11:28 AM   #9
2935ford

If I had the resourses.......an enclosed trailer would be the ticket.
but a rig to haul it all is also required.......not in the budget.....so, local cruises and events is it for now not that I'm complaining mind you!
2935ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 01:49 PM   #10
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker39 View Post

Let me start by saying I guess this is one of the few times I actually agree with Bill.

The term "trailer queen" --or the term of "stretcher" used in lieu of a trailer (that one courtesy of John Buttera & Gray Baskerville) is typically used as an arrogant & provocative term to antagonize & belittle someone else's vehicle. I have used my Hauler to transport my antique cars to places such as Florida, Savannah, GA, Rutland Vermont, Rochester, MN, Mt. Rushmore, SD, ...and on & on. I don't care if someone makes fun of me or not. I know that my vehicles run like they're suppose to. The bolt truth is just like said above, a trailer just opens up possibilities to do/see more.

Getting back to your topic of trailers, there are many hobbyists in the Model-T circles already doing exactly what you have thought about. Many of them have not gone the $70k 'Toy Hauler' route, but instead are building their own for probably ¼ of the 'Toy Hauler' costs. I put on a tour in Crossville a few years ago and belowis some pix of one that came down from Canada. If my memory serves me correctly, the builder/converter put in a 2"x12" high sub-floor in the front 10' of the trailer to house pipes and holding tanks underneath. In the very front of the trailer, there is a Queen sized bed mounted on top of a large wood storage compartment that raised up and housed a 100 gallon water tank, the water heater, and other stuff. On the curbside next to the bed was a full length closet, and moving rearward next to the closet is a small shower/toilet combo. Beside of the shower stall is the trailer's side entrance door. Across from the shower & closet is a kitchen with sink, refrigerator, and stove. Cabinets over that. On the rearward edge of that 10' long platform is a large table on posts. They had two shorter stools for sitting on the platform side, and taller stools for the trailer floor side where four people could eat a meal together.

Behind the platform was a 14' area of the trailer for transporting the car. The entire trailer is insulated and there is a roof-top A/C unit. Also with the rear door down, they had a net that snapped onto the rear door opening so friends could sit inside the trailer w/o bugs or mosquitos being a problem. They also had a fold-out awning on the exterior of the trailer (street side). They and many others out of the Michigan/Canada area use these type trailers 10-12 weekends a year for weekend get-togethers with their Model-Ts where they tour during the day and fellowship/camp at night.

My personal opinion is if someone spent about $10k on a new properly spec-ed out 24' enclosed trailer, and then had another $7500-8000 budgeted for furnishing the interior themselves, they could build a really nice unit that wouldn't break the bank, --and wouldn't need a $65k truck to pull it. BTW, imagine how impressive a trailer like this would be if it were built with a 'Victorian' theme inside with woodwork, antique lamps converted to 12v LED, covers on the appliances to make them look vintage and such. That way your Bed & Breakfast would be exactly where you wanted it to be!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 02:02 PM   #11
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Cracker 39,

Sounds like you are very much enjoying what you are doing, & very kind in sharing how you do it.

Always amazing to hear of how people attain their unimaginable goals in life when they think.

The computer between all of our ears is most powerful if we would just bypass the Sleep-Mode & press the switch to "ON".

Thanks for sharing one way how to not have an excuse for not driving our Model A's.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 04:01 PM   #12
jthomas6

Cracker 39,

The week after I got my roadster, I bought a wedge nose 20' enclosed trailer. I've had it about 3 years now, but not once have I used it to go to a car show. All the shows I've been to have been within about 50 miles, so it's not needed. I drive my 'A' as much as I reasonably can with a 'Antique' plate.

The trailer is for convenience, I don't have garage space for my Ram 1500, Ford Taurus and the roadster - so the roadster lives in the trailer. Winter time I crack the overhead vent (for circulation) and leave a small space heater up front when temps are below 30 for extended days.

Funny you should post this today - weather's turning nice, so this morning I put the Taurus in the trailer, and the roadster in the garage. Now I can take care of some maintenance items with more garage space than the trailer has.
jthomas6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 04:15 PM   #13
H. L. Chauvin

Mr. Bill always makes a good point when he discusses Model A's .... it is only opinions.

Like with arguing Model A whitewalls, Trailer Queens, & non-detergent oil subjects ....... when I was a kid I heard two senior guys in an intense argument in our bar arguing about what was the best fertilizer to put on strawberry plants to grow large, sweet strawberries ...... the entire bar crowd, (like on this forum), was intensely listening ......... hoping to learn something.

One swore the best thing to put on your strawberry plants was cow manure; the other snapped back & violently claimed he was dead wrong ...... because it was much better to put chicken manure on your strawberries.

Then dead silence ........ until one asked my Dad what would he recommend to put on "his" strawberries ...... if he had strawberries ...... he looked at both and answered "cream & sugar".

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 04-11-2015 at 04:24 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-11-2015, 04:33 PM   #14
buddyholley19

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Mr. Bill always makes a good point when he discusses Model A's .... it is only opinions.

Like with arguing Model A whitewalls, Trailer Queens, & non-detergent oil subjects ....... when I was a kid I heard two senior guys in an intense argument in our bar arguing about what was the best fertilizer to put on strawberry plants to grow large, sweet strawberries ...... the entire bar crowd, (like on this forum), was intensely listening ......... hoping to learn something.

One swore the best thing to put on your strawberry plants was cow manure; the other snapped back & violently claimed he was dead wrong ...... because it was much better to put chicken manure on your strawberries.

Then dead silence ........ until one asked my Dad what would he recommend to put on "his" strawberries ...... if he had strawberries ...... he looked at both and answered "cream & sugar".
Well said that's good !
buddyholley19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 05:52 PM   #15
Cracker39

My trailer cost about $6,750 net. It is 16' long with a vee nose (---adds to length,) 8'-6" wide and 7'-6" tall inside, with dual 3,500 lb axles and standard drum brakes, plus a ramp and beaver tail to facilitate easy loading. Its' registered weight is 2,900 lbs, leaving a cargo capacity of 4,100 lbs. The Model A weighs just under 3,000 lbs - for a comfortable 1,200 lbs reserve. This should put about 590 lbs on the hitch at 10% (---or 700 lbs at max trailer capacity.) Using the old towing recommendation of 85% of rated tow vehicle capacity would suggest a tow vehicle with a 8,250 lb towing capacity. This is probably one of the cheapest trailers that would do the job - excluding home-built - but you can certainly pay more! On its' inaugaral trip to pick up the Tudor I towed it 1,200 miles lite going and 1,200 miles full returning. Both trips were made in horrible winter storm conditions and the trailer handled like a dream (i.e. - no swaying.) Granted, I tow with a 2003 GMC 3500 crew cab diesel dually with a long bed - so the 7,000 lb trailer is child's play. On the other hand, a lot of the newer standard pickups can be equipped to handle 8,250 lbs with ease. The 8'-6" width leaves a lot of room inside and the vee nose would even permit a storage console or work bench and porta-potty if so elected. There's even room over the A for a "drop down" bed due to the 7'-6" hgt.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:21 PM   #16
Tom Wesenberg

A guy in our club bought a handicap city bus. That's one of those small buses that drive around to transport people in wheelchairs, etc. It might hold a dozen people. I think he got it for $1200 or so about 15 years ago, then he removed the seats or whatever was install for carrying people. He cut the back into a large door so he can drive his Model A inside. This looks like the ideal way to have enclosed transportation and storage. And it's more fuel efficient than a truck and trailer.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:15 PM   #17
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Tom,

In my opinion, your good Model A club member friend just recognized his wonderful & powerful God given Free computer that he already had between his ears; hence, he just switched it to "ON", got it up & running, & did what many may think was impossible.

Many goals in life can be achieved in life ........... the minute one begins to think.

Thanks for sharing his unique & creative idea.
Old 04-12-2015, 02:35 PM   #18
barkleydave

I would love to have an enclosed but that requires a larger tow vehicle than I have or need. I still wanted quality so went with the Sundowner Aluminum trailer. #7000 GVAWR electric brakes and built in in floor storage for spare and straps. I am adding a winch. Since it only weights 1,300 lbs that leaves a lot for car and pull great behind an older Explorer with a V8. So far it gives me the flexibility to go to tours hundreds of miles from home in AC comfort and then enjoy the tour with the clubs.
Just makes for a happier experience for me and wife. Especially the wife!

I also have a 57 MG and if it needs major repair.... no support with in hundreds of miles so tow and go!
barkleydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:51 PM   #19
Ronnie Lawson

This is our toy hauler. We had in on the road with the Model A 65 days last year. IMG_2247.JPG
Ronnie Lawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:31 PM   #20
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

There is a difference between a trailer queen and a trailer used to move a car distances.

A trailer queen is a car whose engine runs just long enough to get the car from the trailer to the show field and back.

You guys that transport your car in a trailer then drive it around like you live in the area and then back to the trailer (garage). Not the same two things to me.