Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-17-2015, 09:06 PM   #1
scar

Question Adjusting the door on a 28 tudor

I've searched for a post telling me how to adjust the door on a tudor but couldn't find anything so, I'm asking how to adjust the door.
Standing at the side of the car and facing the door, the top right corner is approx. 1/4 in away from the body. The lower right corner is a good 5/8 to 3/4 in away from the body.
The top left corner of the door's gap is good but the top plate of the door rubs the body just below the rain gutter when closing.
The door rubs the body between the lower an middle hinge so much that it's rubbed all of the paint off in that area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my 28 a.jpg (30.9 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg my 28.jpg (33.1 KB, 87 views)
scar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:23 AM   #2
Dollar Bill

Default Re: Adjusting the door on a 28 tudor

I don't have a tudor but I have adjusted a few doors over time.

Final door adjustment is affected by the hinges, striker (dovetail) and latch. Ideally, you want a straight frame and the body is sitting flat on the frame.

You did not mention horizontal alignment problems only how the door lays against the body. To get the lagging edge symmetrical to the body, either move the top hinge point out or the bottom hinge point in - Or perhaps a little of both. Move only one hinge at the time or the leading edge of the door may drop and cause other fitment problems.

Slight movement of the hinge point moves the door quite a bit so take baby steps. After moving the hinge, slowly close the door and check for interference as it latches.

Door adjustment is trail and error - As with most things in life, the more you do it the better you get.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:52 AM   #3
Cracker39

Scar didn't ask about horizontal adjustment but, since you mentioned it, my door needs to have the trailing edge raised slightly to align with the molding and pin stripe at the belt line. Does this require shimming the bottom hinge - or something else?
Cracker39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:29 AM   #4
Dollar Bill

Cracker, I'm not familiar with the tudor hinge arrangement (I have a roadster) but your reasoning seems sound to me.

You didn't mention but I'm assuming the driver door... Keep in mind if you rotate the door counterclockwise, you will also change the way the leading edge of door aligns with the body.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:17 AM   #5
Cracker39

This is departing a bit from Scar's original question about alignment so, with an apology, I'll back out of this thread.
Cracker39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:16 PM   #6
scar

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
The belt line on the door matches the body's line just fine.
The problem lies between the gap at the bottom of the door and
the body, and the door hitting the body between the bottom and middle hinge.
thanks
Old 03-18-2015, 12:29 PM   #7
Bob C

How about some more pictures showing the whole door and some
pictures showing the hood and cowl.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:58 PM   #8
Tinbasher

The Door Shell needs to be bent top to Bottom. Since you say it's tight in the centre at the
latch. To fix this you will need two people. So here go's, Place a wood block wrapped in cloth between the dove tail and the door. This should hold the centre of the door out. Then have your helper put pressure on the bottom of the door pushing it in. Then you take and push the top of the door frame in with a mighty push. Remove the wood block and see if anything has moved. If it's moved enough you're done, if not repeat the process. Model A doors are tough so it usually take a bit of effort to get this done.

Patience is the foundation of Auto Body repair!!

John Poole "The Old Tinbasher"
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:30 PM   #9
scar

Thanks Tinbasher. I'm probably going to have to do that.
I was hoping there was a way to shim the body or the door hinges
to get it straightened out. That will most likely take care of the door
gap at the bottom, but I'm still not sure that will do anything for the

door hitting the body on the hinge side.
I can also tell that the door is in a bind. As soon as turn the door handle,
it wants to shoot open. It would fly open if it weren't for the door latch
catching the body.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:40 PM   #10
Tinbasher

Then one or more of the door hinges are sprung from being opened to far. Check and see how square the hinges are to the door and the door post. Since the centre of the door is close I think you'll find the problem in the centre hinge. To solve this problem take a large nut (1") or a block of steel and jam it into the hinge when you close the door. Make sure you do not catch the edge of the door and then put pressure on the back of the door as if closing it. This will rotate the hinge around and square it up. Go easy as they move easily. At little at a time, this may also help the bow in the door as it takes the pull out of the centre of the door and relaxes the rear edge. If this doesn't work then you'll need to remove the door hinge and straighten it. Also check the door frame for damage, as it maybe bent also

John Poole
Old 03-18-2015, 07:49 PM   #11
Dick Carne

Cracker -

In response to your inquiry about horizontal door leveling, it sounds as though you may need an extra shim under the cowl section where the two carriage bolts are, just forward of the front doors. For a detailed explanation of how to do horizontal alignment(s), you might check Marco's website at http://www.abarnyard.com and then the section on closed car door alignments. Hope this helps - good luck.

Dick
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:17 PM   #12
modelAtony

Tinbasher. Got the right info.
modelAtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:52 PM   #13
larrys40

Agreed, Tinbashers suggestions are good. Tudor and coupe doors can be torqued slightly by holding the top and bottom and torquing the top in or top out and bottom in to get the rear of the door fit to the body. I concur it sounds like one or more of your door hinges has been sprung. Also make sure on a 29 that your door check strap isn't getting caught in the door.

I have found that the cowl shimming isn't as big a deal on the coupes/Tudors. It's more about the hinges and door fit. As Tinbasher said, do a little at a time and check your results... Patience and prudence is the key.

Larry
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:46 PM   #14
Tinbasher

Yes the rule is "Length,Width and Height" So Front to Back, In and Out and Top to Bottom"
So align the hinges to get a even gap at the front and get the edge square. Then take care of the Bow in the door and then make the final adjustment to raise or lower the back of the door. I.E. Shimming the Cowl. Four rules to aligning body panels. 1 Adjust, 2 Bend, 3 Jack, 4 Shim. usually in that order.
Another trick you've learn't. I use to tell my students, "The Trades Not Hard" It's just the 50,000 tricks you have to learn. I think after 43 years I'm down to 11,587. A few to go!!!!!
John Poole "The Old Tinbasher"
Old 11-01-2023, 08:55 AM   #15
50Trucking

Tinbasher, I am having problems with the door being to close to the body where the striker plate is located. It is so close u have a hard time retracting the door latch with the door handle far enough to get he latch to unlatch and open. Both doors are this way. Can the cowl be moved forward to open this gap? How?
50Trucking is offline   Reply With Quote