Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-24-2010, 01:49 AM   #1
jaguar6165

Default Worth my time? (this time with pics)

Went and looked at a 30 tudor. Its been sitting in a garage for 12 years. Looks like someone somewhat retored it in the 90s. The radiator and tires are shot couldnt see into the tank because i couldnt get the screen out. motor turns freely with the hand crank. A few downsides, paint obviously the fenders are metal but the spare tire slots are made from fiberglass and the ring on the front of the tank next to the gauges, not sure what its for.
What do you think? would i be in over my head? is it even wrth the trouble?

jaguar6165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:57 AM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Worth my time? (this time with pics)

The answer lies in additional questions.

How much is the asking price? $1200 or $12,000
What do you want to do with it? Restore to fine point or driver?
Old 09-24-2010, 03:32 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

My perspective on this type of car is it's value is the same as a "fresh outta the barn" type car that has never been touched or had any restoration work performed. My reasoning is that IMO, this car NOT restored in the 90's, ...yet rather 'Repaired & Repainted' back in the 90's. It has had plenty of "MacGuyvering" in it's past but just like an iceberg, it is what you cannot see that should have you worried. The body appears to have never been off the frame, the engine likely spins over freely because it is likely worn out, look at how far the brake adjusters are screwed in, and a multitude of other 'sins' such as the non weatherproofed panel board used by one of the major upholstery kit suppliers that all would need to be dealt with. Paying extra for those items because someone feels like the car has been "restored" and thus is worth more money is generally a false feeling because it will take the same amount of parts & labor to correct those deficiencies as it would on a "fresh out of the barn" caliber of car. If you are still attracted to this car, take a refridgerator magnet with you and use it all over the sheetmetal to gauge the "depth" of bodywork. You could very well find patch panels fabricated out of Bondo instead of steel. Over your head? Nah, it is very restorable however there is a bunch of work ahead for a new owner.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

Last edited by BRENT in 10-uh-C; 09-24-2010 at 03:33 AM. Reason: spellin'
BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:29 AM   #4
MCHinson

Brent pretty much summed it up. The only additional comment that I would make is that the radio is an interesting non-authentic accessory. I have never seen one of those on a Model A.
MCHinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:46 AM   #5
1931 flamingo

It's up to you. What do you want? Something you can drive and have fun with? Or something you put so much money into it has to be trailered and policed when shown because you're afraid someone will touch it. Mine's a driver and I'm having fun.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:51 AM   #6
joe plumber

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I agree with all the above posts.It all comes down to what you want to do.
joe plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:11 AM   #7
Peter J

Same with me. My 29 was pretty'ed up on the surface but the more I got into it, the more I found out what needed to be done just to make it safe to drive. I got a pretty good deal on it but what I saved is going right back into parts.
Pete
Peter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:21 AM   #8
V4F

it is a "deluxe" for what thats worth . ive seen worse . like said ... its $$$ against what you want to do with it ............. steve
Old 09-24-2010, 09:45 AM   #9
jaguar6165

I would be making it a driver. There is no asking price, they would consider any offer so i thuoght about going real low since it could turn out to be a lot of work. Im just afraid of getting it and finding out its worth more in parts than as a car, but i guess if i get it cheap enough it wouldnt really matter. Its a lady in her 70s or 80s that owns it now, but doesnt know much about it. Its true owner is in a retirement home and has Alzheimers so unfortunately i cant find out more about the car. They did tell me it was purchased in 1997 driven home and maybe one more time before it was put in the garage and thats where it has been for the past 12 years.

Anyone know what the ring on the tank next to the guages would be for? it is raised and looks like something maybe fit in it.
jaguar6165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:55 AM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar6165 View Post
I would be making it a driver. There is no asking price, they would consider any offer so i thuoght about going real low since it could turn out to be a lot of work. Im just afraid of getting it and finding out its worth more in parts than as a car, but i guess if i get it cheap enough it wouldnt really matter. Its a lady in her 70s or 80s that owns it now, but doesnt know much about it. Its true owner is in a retirement home and has Alzheimers so unfortunately i cant find out more about the car. They did tell me it was purchased in 1997 driven home and maybe one more time before it was put in the garage and thats where it has been for the past 12 years.

Anyone know what the ring on the tank next to the guages would be for? it is raised and looks like something maybe fit in it.
I was wondering the same thing. I figure someone may have mounted a clock there, or a radio speaker, but isn't the speaker in the lower case?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:13 AM   #11
TK in LA

Great driver! Take the family out on Sunday drives and local car shows. Lots of attention and fun for not much money. Everything needs something! My 2¢
TK in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:46 AM   #12
Mitch//pa
BANNED

making it a driver go for it. great find and sounds like a great price to.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:08 AM   #13
Bruce Adams

I agree with Brent, but it appears the car is doable at a good price, and why not?
I am dying to know more about the radio.
How about it, Kevin F?
Is it a 1930's unit?
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:08 AM   #14
Clem Clement

Exciting. Is it a real delux tudor? Love the radio. I see lots of work everywhere. But fun work. Try $3500 and see how the facial reaction is. We all have been thrown outa better barns than that one(:>)
clem
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:12 AM   #15
BRENT in 10-uh-C

I am going to take the liberty to "vent" here for a moment, and some might find it best to stop reading this and move on to another thread but I feel this needs to be stated!

A comment that continually surfaces here that really bothers me is the notion that a 'Driver' level of restoration is the only kind of car you can have fun with and if it is too nice, it must be trailered everywhere. I can prove it over & over with people that have 60, 70, 80, even 90 thousand dollars in a restoration and they are driving their Model A's. Several of my customers actually drive their Model A's a couple of times a week to their office or place of business with no regard for having that amount of money invested. Heck, even Marco & Dave drive their fine-point cars some and no one can dispute the fact they enjoy driving them.

IMO, people tend to get too judgmental regarding how much money someone else should have in their vehicle. If a Mercedes, a BMW, a Jag or other high-end ultra luxury vehicle appears to be too expensive in your mind, that is OK but don't condemn or down-play the individual who perceives them as a value. (Matter of fact, that quality level of vehicle is actually on the rise in production.) The same applies to the collector car owner who will pay the price to have a fine quality, thoroughly restored vehicle that (s)he can drive and enjoy. I wish we would refrain from suggesting that someone will have more fun with a 'Driver' than a nice Model A because that just is not a fact in my view.

Thanks for allowing me to vent a little.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:19 AM   #16
J Franklin

I think you may have to spend around $6,000 to buy it.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:21 AM   #17
1931 flamingo

Don't mind you "venting" and enjoy and read all your posts. Many of us (I assume, I know...) don't have the big bucks others do but want something they can drive and go to cruises and shows with (and maybe even pick up a trophy, 2 for me this year). That's why after looking for past 5-6 years and this year in earnest I bit the bullet (out of work 20+ months) and finally got my "driver", 31 tudor restored in the 80's w/615 miles since restored for under 10k. I'm having fun and everyone else enjoys it. I don't mind if it's dirty or if a kid at a show touches it, and I enjoy sharing it's nuances with any who admire and ask. I'm usually the odd ball at most cruises around here but it's FUN> JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:29 AM   #18
1930artdeco

I just noticed looking at the the second undercarrage shot (pass rear looking forward) that it looks like the frame is rusted through. It may just be gunk that is caked on in a joint but it does look cracked right at the joint.

Mike
Old 09-24-2010, 11:32 AM   #19
J Franklin

that is not the frame
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:40 AM   #20
Jerry in Shasta

Talking Re: Worth my time? (this time with pics)

Keep the wolf whistle and throw the car away, my way please.
JB
Jerry in Shasta is offline   Reply With Quote