Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-18-2014, 02:58 PM   #1
HCO41

Default Grill fasteners

Most of the bolts, nuts and sheet metal screws that I removed from my '50 club coupe grill area, including parking light trim, look like like they came from the miscellaneous fastener pile. I called Roy Nacewicz and he does not supply the fasteners.
Does anyone know another source?
Thanks,
Howard

Last edited by HCO41; 12-18-2014 at 04:41 PM.
HCO41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 04:44 PM   #2
HCO41

Default Re: Grill fasteners

I guess it's better to define the car you're looking for parts for!! Senility is a terrible thing. Hope I get some help now.
Thanks,
Howard
Old 12-18-2014, 04:58 PM   #3
Barry-ct

You mentioned a 50 Club Coupe in your first post. Do you have a parts catalog for the car? It shows the part numbers in the exploded drawings of the hardware you need. Roy has many fasteners under the for hardware numbers. You'll see numbers like 12345-S or similar. You could also find a Ford hardware catalog that will show you what the nut, bolt, etc... looks like. I did Ford parts for 30+ years and it's a invaluable resource to have! You can find copies of these catalogs on Ebay, but they're pricey. At least get a 49-59 Ford Parts & Accessories Catalog. They're in print or CD roms on Ebay. You won't regret it.

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:01 PM   #4
V12Bill

A trip to the local salvage yard comes to mind. Take some penetrating oil, proper wrenchs and a bag or plastic jar to carry home your fasteners.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:23 PM   #5
HCO41

Barry, I did an edit on first post and should have included second post with edit. Anyway, yes I do have a parts book for the '50 and will check it out. Roy indicated that he may have loose stock that he could match-up.
Bill, no yards around here with older stuff to scrounge. I'll try Roy after I look up the part numbers and descriptions. I was hoping there might be another source for the fasteners that someone knew about.
Thanks,
Howard

P.S. Happy holidays to all.

Last edited by HCO41; 12-18-2014 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:44 PM   #6
Barry-ct

Also, go to this site, www.partsvoice.com . It is a parts locator that all the new car dealers of all makes use to find obsolete parts. A lot of the NOS re-sellers and repro dealers list their inventory here. I used it constantly at Ford, and still use it.
Use your zip code as the password, list the part numbers you need without any dashes and or spaces and a qty of 1. Don't forget to select manufacturer in the list. It will show if there's anyone out there that has it. Very easy to use.
Don't forget Ebay as a source. There, put the part numbers as printed in the catalog. If you look under the group number 8200 or anything in the pic in that area, at the end of the group, you will see the nuts and bolt hardware listed and qty.
If you need any help with parts look up, PM me and I can look it up, as I have almost all the catalogs in paper or C D. I also have a few parts Obsolesence-Supercede-Interchange (OSI) catalogs to check to see if a number was superceded to a newer part number.

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:04 PM   #7
1937pickup

I have found many trim fasteners at this company. You will need to know what is needed for each application. http://www.restorationspecialties.com/
1937pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:32 PM   #8
rust runner

try gates salvage in hardwick when the snow goes.
rust runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:53 PM   #9
51 MERC-CT

Assuming that the clips you are referring to are for the grille extensions.
The clips you need are called spring nuts or Tinnerman nuts and are used in conjunction with hex sheet metal screws. Unless someone has some new old stock with part numbers I doubt that you will find any using part numbers as a reference.
They are available from various sources. It's just a matter of determining the size you need.
Just one example---
http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-Spring-Ty...135cef&vxp=mtr
Although for a different application, another possibility from Mac's--
http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_me...d-mercury.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SPGNUT.jpg (35.7 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 12-19-2014 at 06:26 AM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:08 PM   #10
HCO41

Update: I spent the better part of this afternoon looking up all the fasteners used in the grill area in the Chassis, Parts and Accessories catalog. Took a little learning to get used to the book's definition of some parts ex. top, left and right grill pieces are called frames. Also if there is "mirror image" parts, the hardware for both is listed under only one of the parts.
I've made a list and now that I've got the sizes, types, finishes and lengths I can compare them with what I disassembled and see if I have any that are right.
One question: Were there any details used on the hex headed bolts, ex. grade marks, manufacturers marks etc. or were the heads plain?
BTW 1937P-U, I have the Restoration Specialties Catalog. I checked there fasteners and they appear to be a good source for spring nuts and hex sheet metal screws.
Thanks to all, next time I'll start with the obvious, Happy Holidays,
Howard
Old 12-20-2014, 08:47 PM   #11
tubman

You might want to try Shoebox Central. I hear he has a bunch of parts cars that he sells parts from. When I took my grille out, most of the fasteners were correct, but a few weren't. When I get back to Minnesota next spring I am going to call them to see if I can get the few bolts I am missing. I was also looking at eBay, and there is a scrapyard in Nebraska selling parts off of a shoebox club coupe (quarters, roof, etc.). In his ad, he says that if you need any miscellaneous parts for these cars, to contact him and he may be able to help you out.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 09:25 PM   #12
HCO41

Tubman, Chris has pulled used parts for me before. Good man to do business with. I'm going to see just what I've got tomorrow based on the search I did in the Chassis catalog. Right now I would like to get the 10, 1/4-20 x 5/8 bolts that go across the top frame and attach it to the latch panel. I believe the ones I took out are SS which, of course, are wrong. What stands out the most is the marking on the heads.
Can someone confirm that the heads of these bolts should be plain.
I'm not going for "show perfect" but I think a Gr.2 cadmium plated bolt would look better for the time being. Comments?
Thanks,
Howard
Old 12-20-2014, 10:56 PM   #13
tubman

Howard,

Does a '50 use the bolts with the thick nuts with the radial slots in them? If so, don't take 'em all; I need three of those. As I remember, those bolts have no head markings. I would prefer used original fasteners because their "patina" finish (I hate that word) would match my existing ones.

Tubman
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:00 AM   #14
TJ

Try this company; www.auveco.com.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote