Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-24-2014, 02:44 PM   #1
Barber31

Default My new Air Filter issue

I recieved my new filter today and all looked good until I checked why the filter was a lil off to the side. Here's what it looks like all together.

Barber31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:45 PM   #2
Barber31

Default Re: My new Air Filter issue

And here's the issue.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:47 PM   #3
Barber31

I'm thinking instead of calling and going thru the hassle of getting another ill just fix this one and make both sides more secure. I'm thinking drilling and riveting them together.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:50 PM   #4
Tacoma Bob

A: send it back. B:solder or tig weld. C: pop rivit. D: Lock-tite five minute epoxy (faster than JB weld. Options.....Dude you have options. P.S. consider ditching the paper filter and go with K&N filter.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:52 PM   #5
160B

You may want to read the posts on this thread. My concern is the filter rated at high enough cfm for the Model A engine and are you getting a good seal to the filter housing!

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142421

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:12 PM   #6
JackA

Who was your supplier? Questioning minds need to know.
JackA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:25 PM   #7
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Barber,

1. Without this filter, crank your Model A engine with your choke plate closed to see if you witness a little gasoline dripping from the intake of the carburetor.

2. Reach in your gas tank & get a little of this exact same fuel & pour a little on only one side, (the horizontal bottom side), of your new filter.

3. With a lit match attached & taped to a 12 foot long wire, place the match next to the very small amount of gasoline on the filter.

4. If the filter does "not" catch on fire .......... put it on your Model A & don't worry about any possible future fire hazards in your engine compartment.

5. In my opinion, it is never wise to follow everything what one reads about Model A's, what actually counts is actual "live" physical experimentation.

Hope this helps you to decide what to do in Step #2.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:55 PM   #8
Boston Bruce

I have a better idea: send it back and don't use an air filter.
Boston Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:58 PM   #9
Growley bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Bob View Post
A: send it back. B:solder or tig weld. C: pop rivit. D: Lock-tite five minute epoxy (faster than JB weld. Options.....Dude you have options. P.S. consider ditching the paper filter and go with K&N filter.
I second the K&N air filter; All in favor? Opposed?

Chet
Growley bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:59 PM   #10
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Bruce View Post
I would go along with this idea. I did do this very thing when I purchased one a few years back.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:00 PM   #11
Duffy1

Smile Re: My new Air Filter issue

Send it back and get a high boy with K &N filter . Major suppliers stock it.
Duffy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:04 PM   #12
vermontboy

Quote:
Remember - not one of these Model "A"'s rolled off the assembly line with an air filter - all 4,320,000 plus of them ran on those old dirt and mud packed roads without an air filter. It was not a matter of cost - all of those Model "A" Fords had a set of 4 very nice and expensive (for the time) shock absorbers.
vermontboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:07 PM   #13
Growley bear

Quote:
Installing an air filter on a Model A accomplishes the same thing as when a person stops smoking. Many years are added and quality of life is greatly improved. I don't understand the resistance to an air filter on a Model A. If you ran a Model A without an air filter in the town in which I was raised you would change an engine a month maybe more depending on if you drove home from work for lunch and back.

Chet
Growley bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:05 PM   #14
Pinstripe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy1 View Post
Send it back and get a high boy with K &N filter . Major suppliers stock it.
There you go. They work well
Pinstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:18 PM   #15
H. L. Chauvin

One concern keeps coming up about former experiences with former "small" Model A air filters which in the past reduced air flow -- these past sincere concerns definitely have lots of merit.

K & N in their on-line literature correctly describes something I learned about hydraulics over 46 years ago.

As crazy as it may appear to some, air filters & devices on the suction end of a round pipe, (such as a Model A carburetor), can "increase" air flow & even increase water flow in water "if":

1. The device has the proper & sufficient "open" areas for air and/or water to flow; &,

2. If the device can assist in retarding turbulence & cavitation of air and/or water in something like the end of a round suction pipe.

FWIW: Opinions:

Just because John Doe is afraid to open an umbrella in a house ...... what the heck ..... buy him a beer ....... he may be the best friend you may ever have.

Then do not be surprised if you later open your umbrella in your house & your air-conditioner immediately breaks ....... sh## can "still" happen whether you open your umbrella ..... or after you install a Model A air filter.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 06-24-2014 at 07:20 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-24-2014, 07:30 PM   #16
machine girl

H.L. very good info, but the stock carb was not made to use an air filter (jetting or air flow ) the real scare is those updrafts are prone to leaking fuel .load that paper filter up with gas (even the K&N ) you all know the rest of the story.
machine girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:01 PM   #17
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Machine Girl,

Agree 100%.

I never even tried installing a paper filter down below a Model A or Model B carburetor -- just me -- but some may have different opinions which I respect.

The filter I presently have up high on my Model A is described in reply no 27 further down under the question in message title:

Re: Air filter for Model A

Some probably would not like this one either.

I have learned long ago to never worry too much about if the millions of Chinese in China are presently eating Cheerios for breakfast or not; & really, I learned to never try to change all of their minds & to try to force them to eat Corn Flakes ........ with or without strawberries.

Hope this helps with opinions.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:03 PM   #18
Duffy1

On a high boy ,the k & n filter is above the throat of the carburator. Wonder why Henry put oil bath air filters on 32 model.
Duffy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:35 PM   #19
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Duffy 1,

During the early days with miles & miles of many dust laden dirt roads & gravel roads, oil bath air filters were found to greatly reduce engine wear when compared to absolutely no engine air filters in vehicles that were used as "daily" drivers.

Later, as time progressed, oiled gravel roads & paved streets & highways greatly reduced amounts of dust & sand entering engines in "daily" driver engines..

Even later, with "daily" driver engines, modern pleated air filters extended engine life lots more along with more & more paved highways & streets.

If anyone is really interested to learn more specific filter details & filter test results, there are lots of interesting scientific information written on internal combustion engine air consumption with & without filters.

Will this scientific information change anybody's mind on air filters ........... I personally would never gamble & bet or risk losing even a seven (7) times used oil pan gasket on a Model A air filter use subject.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 06-24-2014 at 10:39 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-24-2014, 11:43 PM   #20
Barber31

I purchased the filter from Snyders. This is the first time I have recieved a part that was damaged or faulty from any of the vendors. I've always been satisfied with all my purchases, and I've tried quite a few places. Thanks for all the replies. I am planning on upgrading to a K&N also. I know most say they don't need filters but I just can't see how not running a filter will not cause problems down the road. So much dirt and crud accumulates in every nook and cranny in the engine compartment, I can only imagine how much is attracted when there's suction added to the equation.