Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-22-2014, 09:38 AM   #1
modelapickup31

Default anybody know about the Amherst NH shows?

Have been to quite a few swapmeets lately and am disappointed with the model a part selections. I need some fenders and parts like a sparton horn for my 31 slant. Amherst is a bit of a trek for me. Just curious if any fellow barners have some Info.
Thanks in advance!
Geoff
modelapickup31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:35 PM   #2
Keith True

Default Re: anybody know about the Amherst NH shows?

I was an Amherst rat for over 30 years.It is now mostly street rod stuff,although the rodders do try to sell off the leftover A parts from their projects.Sheetmetal is very scarce,and the rodders do pay a premium for it.I have one fender on my truck I paid $35.for,and the mate cost me $425.They were both in the same condition.Finding the $35.one up there was a fluke.There are a few A guys that set up there,so it is worth going.A horns are another hard to find item.The last one I saw there had a price tag of $225.on it,take it or leave it,it was sold before the sun came up.I also know of one that sold for $8.there from somebody doing a cleanout.The most important thing to remember is that you have to bee on the field by 5 AM.The long timers with the A parts are packed up and gone by 8 AM.I'm 35 miles from there and most times I was home again by 9AM.The field looks abandoned by noon time.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:38 PM   #3
1931 flamingo

pickup31: It's worth the trip, one time anyway.
Fitchburg, MA EV8 Club swap meet this Sunday at the Fitchburg Airport. Usually a lot of A stuff also.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:43 PM   #4
tudoor

First show is this Sunday the 27th
tudoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:11 PM   #5
Keith True

First and last shows at Amherst are always either the best or worst.Best part of the first is folks are bringing their piles of junk they saved up over the winter,usually leftovers from their projects.Worst part is everybody is itching to buy because they have been cooped up all winter waiting for things to open up.Prices are HIGH,and they get them.They have all summer to drop down if they need to.At the end of the season there is a lot of junk,as the piles have been picked over all summer.If it has been put back on the shelf it is because it is rotten.Junk will be cheap at that point,but the good stuff has high prices because they know you are pretty much out of luck hunting for the winter.Also,on the first one,you need to be there earlier than usual.If you have to park in the back field it is still soft,and you may have to get pulled out.There are trucks there to do that for you.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:45 AM   #6
Roadster62

I've alwat wanted to go to the Amherst Swap Meet, I'll get there someday. The Cider Mill meet is a lot closer and had a lot of A parts last year, looking forward to being there again this year. Bob