Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-04-2014, 10:11 PM   #1
40cpe

Default '40 column mast in a '38

I'm pondering installing a side shift transmission in my '38. I have a '40 column and drop, and I think the extent of the modifications needed to install the later part in the '38 will help me decide which way to go.

Any information on the swap is appreciated.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:20 PM   #2
alan

Default Re: '40 column mast in a '38

mast jacket, shifter mechanism, side shift transmission and you should be good to go, remember that 1940 did not have the light switch on the column (dash switch) but I do not see that as a problem. steering box is the same, steering shaft may need relocation of lock receiver for the switch and a small mod to floor area to allow rod to go thru
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:33 PM   #3
40cpe

[QUOTE=alan;853633] 1940 did not have the light switch on the column (dash switch) but I do not see that as a problem.

I was thinking of using my '38 banjo wheel and light rod. The lock receiver mod (if needed) is one of my concerns. How is it attached to the steering shaft?
Old 04-05-2014, 10:56 AM   #4
blucar

I have a '40 Steering column, and shift levers on '40 steering gears in my '36..
The only adjustment I had to make was a slight repositioning of the column lock, which I solved by removing the locking collar from the steering shaft. I probably could have re-machined the collar to line up with the locking pin, however, I did not think it was that important..
Back "in the day", it was very common to remove the locking collar so that a smart a** could not lock the column while the car was in motion.. Yes people really did this, a dead engine was one thing, a car that you could not steer was a whole different matter..
Without a serious modification to the upper part of the '40 column, to use your '38 banjo wheel, which is very difficult, if not near impossible because of the increased size of the upper portion of the '40 column. The light operation rod will also present problems.
I used a '47 steering wheel on my car.. this modification was actually a big improvement because my banjo wheel was very loose due to many years of travel across the very poor roads in Idaho.
I have obtained a '36 column and an excellent '36 banjo wheel that is very tight.. Can't bring my self to change things out.. Ya know, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"..
I rewired my headlights, omitting the stock rotor switch in favor of a dash mounted pull switch..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg henry.4.jpg (61.6 KB, 44 views)
Old 04-05-2014, 11:07 AM   #5
alan

a couple of headless screws- you can modify the colum top to fit your steering wheel with a little thought and a lot of work!!
Old 04-05-2014, 12:28 PM   #6
40cpe

comparison of columns; the '38 is 40 1/4" overall, the '40 is 41". I think any overage can be removed at the bottom.

So once I get the correct amount of steering tube protruding from the top of the column mast, the problem is aesthetically mating to the '38 banjo wheel?
Old 04-05-2014, 04:37 PM   #7
alan

yes different size "bells" on the column top--look closely I have been told you can change these out as they are cast and the tube is steel
Old 04-05-2014, 06:31 PM   #8
40cpe

The '38 column only has a slight "flair" in the steel tube that continues on in the shape of the bottom of the wheel. The '40 has the cast bell that also serves as the upper support for the shifter tube.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:45 PM   #9
rg130

Blucar from your photo I see the shift lever is on the left side. I have seen this before and wondered if the shift locations for the gears are different than having the lever on the right side. I assume the "H" shift pattern is the same. Just curious. Thanks,
rg130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:41 AM   #10
blucar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg130 View Post
Blucar from your photo I see the shift lever is on the left side. I have seen this before and wondered if the shift locations for the gears are different than having the lever on the right side. I assume the "H" shift pattern is the same. Just curious. Thanks,
The conversion from right shift lever to the left position on the '40-48 Fords is so simple, it's almost beyond belief..
Here's the procedure: Remove the two bolts that attach the lower portion of the shifting assembly from the column.. Slide the "cup" down exposing the end of the shifting shaft.. Remove the 1/4" pin through the shaft.. Rotate the shift lever on the upper portion of the column 180 degrees to the left.. Re-insert the pin, replace the cup and reinstall the two bolts.. That's it..
The shifting pattern will be upside down. Low/high gears are up, second/reverse are down..
This modification was very common in the early '50's.. It was great for drag racing, a direct pull down from low to 2nd gear.. The shift to second gear was so fast, yet a little hard on transmissions.. I must have blown my trans at least a half dozen times before I gave up on drag racing..
An added benefit was more room in the front seat for a third passenger. Also, the girl "de jour" could snuggle right up to the driver. This allowed for one hand for the girl, the left hand to steer and shift..
Prior to the column shift modifications on the pre '40 Fords it was common to cut the gear shift off to a point slightly below the seat level.. Then upon completion of the shift to high gear the shift lever was in a direct line to the girls knee... Hmmmmmm? Bad boy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36 Frd Columb Cntrl.2.jpg (69.7 KB, 21 views)
Old 04-06-2014, 10:57 AM   #11
rg130

Blucar; Thanks for explaining how this worked.
rg130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:00 AM   #12
blucar

Yes, the free hand that the left hand shift lever provided did work great... Op's.. drifted off topic again..