Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-14-2010, 08:34 PM   #1
FatFender

Send a message via Yahoo to FatFender
Default Source for 1941 Ford P/U Parts Needed Carburetor and Master Cylinder

I'm kind of frustrated. I have rebuilt the master cylinder on my PickUp but I am still am having trouble with brakes at times. They dont always "release" after stopping. After a few minutes they will release and will act normal until the next time I have to stop. It really takes the fun out of driving it. I plan to replace the master cylinder and was looking to this group for the best source for the part. I dont want to rebuild again.

Similar situation with fuel. I have a carb with cracked housing ( I dont know that type of carb it is, I'm running a stock flathead. I would prefer to send my carb to a recognized carb expert and have him rebuild what I have and hopefully replace the defective casting and whatever else is necessary to make everything work properly. A distant second place would be to buy a replacement carb but they are kind of pricey.
FatFender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:19 AM   #2
Vic Piano

Default Re: Source for 1941 Ford P/U Parts Needed Carburetor and Master Cylinder

Just about all the Ford Flathead parts suppliers will have the master cylinder and all other brake parts for your truck. There are several Carburetor rebuilders on this and other forums, KenCT, CharlieNY, etc. Dennis Carpenter Reproductions in Charlotte, NC should have everything you to rebuild your brake system.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:00 AM   #3
41ford1

Default Re: Source for 1941 Ford P/U Parts Needed Carburetor and Master Cylinder

You issue with the master cylinder can be caused by the lack of freeplay of the pedal to master cylinder push rod. The push rod should have about 1/8" of free travel before pushing the cylinder.

All the vendors Vic listed are good sources.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:42 AM   #4
41PICUP

Bob Drake, Sacramento Vintage Ford, C & G Ford Parts all have web-sites.
41PICUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:29 PM   #5
alan

Fatfender a friend of mine with a 35 with hyd brakes had a similar problem would not immediatly release-found two problems- master cylinder rod was not adjusted so it would come all the way back, look in the master cylinder you should be able to see the hole in the bottom of the cylinder and the end of the piston. Two solutions one we put a better pedal return spring on it and then adjusted the piston rod to clear the hole in the master cylinder, no problems since then
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:03 PM   #6
Dragfink

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Check your PM's...
Dragfink is offline   Reply With Quote