Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-25-2013, 07:35 AM   #1
Bruno

Default Starting a Flathead

Just wondering what other F-1 V8 owners find works best on cold starting of their flattie - pumping the gas pedal or just keeping it down all the way? I know I lose the carb prime between infrequent starts and it takes a lot of cranking to get it going the first time - okay after it runs awhile.

Thanks!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan0001.jpg (87.0 KB, 7 views)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:46 AM   #2
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: Starting a Flathead

Most times best solution is to install electric pump in gas line at rear of system near tank. The pump is used for startup after long periods of standing to get fuel to the pump/carb. It is activated by a separate switch prior to starting. Also helps if you ever have vapor lock.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:52 AM   #3
Step-down

I agree with 51 Merc. The only thing I can add is which I've learned is on some Elec. pumps require a by- pass.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:57 AM   #4
Walt Dupont--Me.

Most of these old cars we restore, we don't run everyday, They usually set a week or more, sometime, like mine it sets in the storage barn all winter. My 40 coupe has 4 carb, and have an electric fuel pump. After setting for a few day, I turn the key on and hear the pump filling the carbs, I'll give the foot throttle a couple of pumps, pull the choke that's hooked to one carb, hit the starter button and it starts before you can get your finger off the button, push the choke half way in and in a couple of min. push it all the way in. With one carb you might have to run the choke a little longer. The gas evaperize out of the carb after setting and without an electric pump you have to crank awhile to fill the carbs. Install an electric pump back by the tank, it will push the fuel right through the fuel pump. You can install a switch under the dash to shut off the pump if you want to after the engine is running and let the stock pump do it's job. Or run the pump all the time, I don't even have a pump on my engine. You cain't beat an electric pump on any of these old play toys. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:14 AM   #5
Ross F-1

We had the carb off a friend's F-1 and emptied out dry as a bone. I figured it would take a lot of cranking just to refill it. I'd say it only took 5 seconds before it fired off. That's with an old stock fuel pump, but it has newer, clean fuel lines and a tank that was flushed. If you are cranking a lot, I'd clean out or replace the line. Mine was so full of crud (because it's the low point of the system) that I could not get it clean just with blowing with air and flushing, so I just replaced it.
Ross F-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:21 AM   #6
4dFord/SC

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
IMHO, they seem have their own personalities when it comes to starting in the cold. Mine has an electric pump and 4bbl carburetor. After running the pump for 10 seconds or so, I give the gas pedal two good pumps, but no choke, and then hit the starter. As soon as it catches (maybe a turn or two), I feed in some choke until it runs steady. Four bbl's seem to need less choke than 2bbl's. Some say that clicking your heels together and saying, "There's no place like home" also helps.
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:41 AM   #7
George/Maine

This year after sitting all winter I put about a shot glass of gas down carb and fired right off. could do 2 or 3 times.
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #8
Bums F-1

My old Dad told me to put your mouth over the tank filler neck and blow, it will push the gas up to the carb. If you don't like the taste of gas get a electric fuel pump.
Bums F-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #9
Barlea

Your old Dad was right. And it helps to cup your hands around the filler neck and blow through your hands or you will have a black ring around your mouth. ..B.
Barlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #10
funrunr

I bought my 6V pump through www.rockauto.com If memory serves me correct it was the same name brand as speedway offered but cheaper. I like to save money!
Old 05-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #11
1932 V8

I am always a fan of oil pressure before they start if they haven't been run in a while . So , I leave the ignition off and do some shorter bursts of cranking with the throttle partially open . In between cranks I will pump the throttle .I check for movement in the oil pressure gauge . This usually takes 4 or 5 times of what I described above . Once I have movement on the oil pressure I am good to go . By then she has fuel so I turn the ignition on and she fires right up . Just my way and we all have our own I am sure .
1932 V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:39 PM   #12
Thaplumbr

Nice looking truck!!!
Thaplumbr is offline   Reply With Quote