Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
Ryan
Administrator

Default \'33 Pheaton

I actually have a thing for 33/34 Roadsters, but ever since a trip to Australia last year, I've added the Phaeton to my list of lust as well. They look great, obviously, but t... To read the rest of this blog entry from The Ford Barn, click here.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #2
Fe26

Default Re: \'33 Pheaton

One might arrive at the annual Garden Party at Buckingham Palace to meet HRH, (AKA The Queen of Australia) in the sporty 1936 Drop Head Coupe built by Jensen and equipped by Ford.
Fe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:05 AM   #3
Spooky Two

for myself, the pick of any Ford made... whilst off to see the Queen?
Well, I know it's true that one's thoughts may gravitate towards something having qualities of splendor, something such as the 1940 Lincoln-Zephyr Continental Town Car. You know that something, hand made and by Brunn & Company for ol' Edsel hisself. Yeah... well, maybe?
And I can't knock Ryan's choice of the '33 Phaeton(spelling write or wrong). It too seems fitting.
But really for me and for kicks...
What I would like to take to see Mum?
Well that's easy, that would be dear ol' Dad's 1929 A-Model Ford Convertible Cabriolet. Sporty. Stylish. Stock. And even a mite bit salacious.
Heck yes, why I'ld even toss Her in the Mother-in-Law's seat and once'r around the palace.
Well let's say, the Cab ride was good enough for Elvis' Joe "Diamond" Esposito(and that's almost the King),hey it's gotta be good enough for Her Majesty the Queen.
Yup... the '29 Ford Cabriolet!

okay, okay... due to the verbal onslaught and general demands via The P.M.'s, yes Lincoln is not a Ford. But, here is where I's coming from...On April 30, 1940 the Lincoln Motor Company became the Lincoln Division of Ford Motor Company. Doesn't that count a little?

Last edited by Spooky Two; 03-23-2013 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Lincoln could be a Ford ;)
Spooky Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:28 AM   #4
bluardun

I had the pleasure of owning an originial unrestored, low milage '33 Pheaton. What a pure pleasure. Pheatons seem to have a story with them. My car come out of Elmhurst NY. from an estate. The estate had purchased 2 new pheatons in 1933. One Deluxe, tan; the other (mine) standard empior brown. The cars were used on the estate only. They were never licensed or titled. My car had 35K miles on it.
We used and enjoyed the cars for several years. Sure wish I had never sold it.
bluardun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:39 AM   #5
Brendan

Ryan the came car in your first photo will be for sale soon it belongs to 1932 V8, hear on Fordbarn

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:44 AM   #6
Corn Fed

I totally agree that a '33 would be the most stately Ford to meet the queen in. I can't think of a more elegant car ever offered by FORD. If you venture into Lincoln's or Mercury's, then the '33 might have some competition.
Corn Fed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:22 AM   #7
TonyM

I'll wait in the car while you all visit the queen. TM
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:52 AM   #8
Fe26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
I'll wait in the car while you all visit the queen. TM
That's what we need, more Footmen.
Fe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:02 AM   #9
phartman

While y'all are off having tea with the Queen, I'll be lookin' for that Princess Kate. I'd steal her off in whatever I had that could make a fast get-away!

Special situations call for extraordinary measures. Might need to hot rod that Phaeton a little bit, just this one time.

Last edited by phartman; 03-24-2013 at 02:54 PM.
phartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #10
G.M.

Here's a picture of my 33 phaeton which has a Columbia 3:78 rear, also have a 33 maroon roadster. Thinking about sell them maybe someone wants transportation for a Queen. G.M.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1933 PHAETON.jpg (106.6 KB, 60 views)
Old 03-24-2013, 06:49 PM   #11
52merc

so what are the differences between 1 made in oz to usa build my understanding is that the oz 1 is a lot different maybe to guys across the ditch might tell us
52merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:47 PM   #12
JeffreyJames

I like '33's but '32 Phaeton's are more my style. I can't wait to get my kids in on the fun in my recently acquired body.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:23 AM   #13
Tudortomnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52merc View Post
so what are the differences between 1 made in oz to usa build my understanding is that the oz 1 is a lot different maybe to guys across the ditch might tell us
This has been discussed many times, but Im keen to blather on Ford Production.
Basically, Ford Geelong [Australia] built their own bodies from late Model T era on, & was required by the Aust. govt as a condition for allowing Ford to build a large factory with a nearby port in 1925.
The early [ late T, Model A ,early V8] Ford bodies had wood framing as it was cheaper than metal subframes on low production. The '33& '34 bodies were basically based on the Aussie '32 rear section & the Sedan appears boxy compared to a Nth American Ford. The 5W Coupe is unique to Australia , but the roofline appears a tad too high compared to one from US & Canada. Phaeton & rdstr doors were shorter as the body was not channeled over the chassis because of the wooden flooring ; the Aussie models thus require a valance from the body bottom to the running board. Interiors were different [ fittings & upholstery] & some states required long tailamp mounts for lighting beyond the body. Of course, engines, bonnets/hoods, mudguard/fenders, grill shell etc were made in Canada.
A few Aussie open cars were privately imported to NZ & they look as good as the fully imported Canadian ones we got, but in small numbers.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #14
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Un like the Ausy sedans the 33-34 phaeton body's were based on the US ones, They are not really a copy of the Auz 1932 , The rear tub could be interchanged with the US rear tub with some Minor changes ,As far as I can tell they were brought in from Canada as cowl doors and chassis with possibly some of the larger stampings like the tub .They were already stamping things like door capping and minor parts ,By 1934 Australia started stamping some of the larger panels?But is debatable as to how much as tooling costs verses the small production runs would dictate ,, .Due to the Govt wanting local employment some local content needed to be added .They added a wood front section on the floor of about 4 ft but other wise They have the same wood framing in the doors as the US ones .The doors are shortened and the rear door is sectioned to accommodate the center pillar .I have a 33 and 34 this just some of my observations ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudortomnz View Post
This has been discussed many times, but I'm keen to blather on Ford Production.
Basically, Ford Geelong [Australia] built their own bodies from late Model T era on, & was required by the Au st. govt as a condition for allowing Ford to build a large factory with a nearby port in 1925.
The early [ late T, Model A ,early V8] Ford bodies had wood framing as it was cheaper than metal sub frames on low production. The '33& '34 bodies were basically based on the Aussie '32 rear section & the Sedan appears boxy compared to a Nth American Ford. The 5W Coupe is unique to Australia , but the roof line appears a tad too high compared to one from US & Canada. Phaeton & roadster doors were shorter as the body was not channeled over the chassis because of the wooden flooring ; the Aussie models thus require a valance from the body bottom to the running board. Interiors were different [ fittings & upholstery] & some states required long tailamp mounts for lighting beyond the body. Of course, engines, bonnets/hoods, mudguard/fenders, grill shell etc were made in Canada.
A few Aussie open cars were privately imported to NZ & they look as good as the fully imported Canadian ones we got, but in small numbers.

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,

Last edited by FlatheadTed; 03-25-2013 at 01:16 PM.
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:38 PM   #15
ronn

True Model A towncar puts the rest to shame....
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:09 AM   #16
Tudortomnz

Ted , you are right about the open '33'34 rear sections being close to the US stampings, but still not the same. I have never been able to find if the cowls were imported or stamped at Geelong, but they were quite capable of producing any panel since Model A production from 1930. The cowls may well have been imported as part of the 'guard, grille, lamp package? In Model A era, the fuel tanks would have been imported anyway, as all A tanks were special welded at Detroit for world production.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:09 AM   #17
tub1

you bloke would have to agree though us or aussie look so dam good
tub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:07 PM   #18
FlatheadTed

The Phaeton production run was about 700 so its unlikely that they would have invested heavily in expensive tooling to produce such a small number .Canada had the Cab and chassis service ,these were knocked down body's including the front doors . I think they brought in some of the larger panels such as doors outer skins possibly the rear tub then punched holes and fitted door caps .The cowl was definitely produced in Canada /US as they have a Factory alteration (patch panel ) on the lower swag to accommodate the change of angle for the running board filler panel all the cowls I have seen have this , there would be no need for this if it was stamped in Australia .Attached is a picture of a US door with all the wood
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010110_1929.jpg (66.9 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by FlatheadTed; 03-28-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #19
FlatheadTed

Heres a shot of the underside of a Auzy floor ,Its identical to the US one except were its modified to take the wood from the riser forward ,The USA fenders bolt right up and the rear pan interchanges and the measurements between the door strikers cowl to rear is the same ,Hood bows /irons I believe interchange.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010085_1932.jpg (54.2 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by FlatheadTed; 03-27-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:43 PM   #20
callcoy

I unfortunately had a 34 Standard, unfortunate because I still don't have it. Was over at the Hot Rod Magazine editors house one Sunday having coffee, one thing lead to another and Bob mentioned this 34 Pheaton. Ran over to the owners house and bought it also borrowed a multi carb SBC setup for my gas dragster. Harrah's tried to buy it, but I hung on to it till I had to finance my speed shop/inboard boat shop. Sure wish I still had it!