Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-23-2013, 05:49 PM   #41
Brian in Wheeling

Default Re: M&S Model A Shocks

Have M&S shocks on the front of my Tudor for several years now. No problems so far -about 2,500 miles on them. Regular links.
Brian
Brian in Wheeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:18 PM   #42
Brian in Wheeling

Also try the Yoder fellow out in Colorado. He has rebuilt some for me (originals) and they have been fine.
Brian
Brian in Wheeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:44 PM   #43
Wick

I bought a set of "Pauls shocks" at a auction a few years back still in the box. There on my ccpu and work great,no leaks! Paul is no longer with us,but if you could find a set of his shocks buy them.
Rebuilding Shocks.....I find the Nasty greasy ones that still move are the best to rebuild.
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:11 PM   #44
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Well forget about the New Zealand shock he is out of them and no more are planned for this year. By the way they tell me that original covers will fit on their shocks.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:41 AM   #45
Chris in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Jones View Post
I recall a posting by Bill that explained, essentially, that his tooling and manufacturing of the shocks darn near put him under financially. As Brent has explained many times, suppliers like Bill Stipe are small boutique firms that have to invest a ton of money to ramp up production of something like the shock absorbers. If things go wrong or the product is deemed "too expensive" and doesn't sell then a small firm could go out of business. I don't know Bill Stipe's business finances of course, but my guess it would take some real persuading to get him to do more shocks, unfortunately. Maybe if there were a bunch of pre-paid orders.....?
Also see Mike V's comments just below the quoted field. Obviously, there is demand for Bill Stipes' shocks, just as there was demand for Brumfield's heads. The problem is that the costs of tooling could not be amortized quickly enough, nor the cash flow produced by slow sales could be substantial enough to make the endeavor worth while, even though the demand over time was certainly there.

We are having the identical problem here with Burlington Crankshaft, now that our initial lot is getting close to sold out. We are faced with the decision of whether it is worth it to manufacture the next lot, or whether to simply to walk away from it at this point. The economics of the situation are telling us very clearly to walk away...

Think about it. Chris

----------------

www.burlingtoncrankshaft.com
Chris in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:41 AM   #46
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Chris, unlike the piano wire business, you build too nice of a product that doesn't wear out!! (inside joke)

I honestly do not know what the solution to this dilemma is. In the case of Bill, he is just on sabatical with his shocks, ...and in the case of Larry, it was poor shipping practices that created an alternate source for a very comparable item. I think each item out there is unique with its circumstances, and maybe yours shares yet another uniqueness.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:31 AM   #47
Pills

I spoke to Bill Stripes office on 1/20/15 to inquire about shocks. I was told that they are considering making another lot of shocks based on interest. They are taking names of people who are interested and expect to make a decision by the end of February, 2015. I added my name.

If interested, you should also. Their number is 920 575-7433
Pills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:58 PM   #48
Y-Blockhead

I was lucky and got a set of the last run of Stipe Shocks. Haven't had the time to install yet but the are a work of art... beautiful.

Hopefully I will have them installed in a couple of weeks.

While on this subject, are "rebuild" kits available for the originals? The ones on my TS work pretty well (when they have enough oil in them) but they leak around the cover.

I would like to someday try my hand at seeing whats in side and re-seal them.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:40 PM   #49
mshmodela

Kane,

If you care to see what Stipe shocks are like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGwz6kafn3A

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:59 PM   #50
Hoogah

I have read that rear MGB shocks fit on the original Houdaille mounting points without modification and can be used on an A with some modification to the arm. Anyone had experience going down that path?
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:39 AM   #51
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogah View Post
I have read that rear MGB shocks fit on the original Houdaille mounting points without modification and can be used on an A with some modification to the arm. Anyone had experience going down that path?
A search of MGB shows,

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154342
Old 01-26-2015, 09:24 PM   #52
Ray P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wick View Post
I bought a set of "Pauls shocks" at a auction a few years back still in the box. There on my ccpu and work great,no leaks! Paul is no longer with us,but if you could find a set of his shocks buy them.
Rebuilding Shocks.....I find the Nasty greasy ones that still move are the best to rebuild.
He's still with us. I talked to him yesterday. He's rebuilding a set for me
Ray P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:24 PM   #53
glenn in camino

I have a set of M&S shocks on my 29 woody since 1974 and another set on my 30 deluxe delivery since 1981. All work well. Recently I had Robert Paul ,in Colorado, rebuild a set of originals for my current restoration, a 28 roadster. I'm very pleased with his work, and will use him again. I believe that new shocks from M&S are sealed.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:11 PM   #54
Pills

Just talked to Stripe Machine and they have ordered the materials and are going back into production of their shocks. $1,100 per set of four.
Pills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 01:12 PM   #55
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pills View Post
Just talked to Stripe Machine and they have ordered the materials and are going back into production of their shocks. $1,100 per set of four.
Great news!!!
Old 03-16-2015, 01:25 PM   #56
modelAtony

KANE. I have the M & S shocks on 31 tudor and 29 roadster fully sealed . 2001 I put these on both cars all worked about 3 years. I run the tudor about 1200 miles per month the roadster only about 300 miles per month. Replaced rear spring bushing stuff about 3 months ago and with the shock arms unbolted I could move the arm up and down with no resistance. I would find some orig. shocks and let some of the good rebuilders work there magic. Have fun modelAtony tony white Lafayette, LA
modelAtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:08 PM   #57
Dick M

Send a message via Yahoo to Dick M

Give John Holland a call. I have a set of four shocks on my car which he rebuilt. He stands behind his excellent work. He is reasonable and a real nice guy. His phone number is 303-483-3896.
Dick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:30 PM   #58
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pills View Post
Worth the price. My Town Sedan rides much better than before. I sold my original shocks on e-Pay for ~$350 to help recoup some of the $$$'s.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote