Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-12-2015, 06:27 PM   #21
Synchro909

Default Re: Splash pans - mounting question -

Quote:
Originally Posted by aermotor View Post
If true would that not be good?

John
Is definitely NOT good. Hot air from around the manifold finds its way inside the car around the pedals and steering column. The clutch and brake pedals go one each side of the flange where the engine pipe attaches and the steering column so you can imagine how much hot air there is right there trying to get iside. The flange clamp has to be fitted with great care or the clutch will not operate. What we need is some way of getting that hot air our of the engine compartment as quickly as possible. I think Ford stuffed up their design in this area. The exhaust manifold should run towards the front, then down and back under the steering box or maybe a little towards the engine. The worst of the heat is then well away from where it can get inside. These are not very pleasant cars to drive during hot weather.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:36 PM   #22
aermotor

I think that R/H drive vs. L/H drive may be the big difference in the airflow around the manifold being that the steering column and floorboard openings in the R/H drive cast a different perspective on the airflow.

John

Last edited by aermotor; 08-12-2015 at 06:52 PM.
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:31 PM   #23
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Is definitely NOT good. Hot air from around the manifold finds its way inside the car around the pedals and steering column. The clutch and brake pedals go one each side of the flange where the engine pipe attaches and the steering column so you can imagine how much hot air there is right there trying to get iside. The flange clamp has to be fitted with great care or the clutch will not operate. What we need is some way of getting that hot air our of the engine compartment as quickly as possible. I think Ford stuffed up their design in this area. The exhaust manifold should run towards the front, then down and back under the steering box or maybe a little towards the engine. The worst of the heat is then well away from where it can get inside. These are not very pleasant cars to drive during hot weather.
BUT, with the DEEP curved pans & they TAPER DOWN towards the rear, to let the HOT air go out UNDER the car. "Maybe" the better air flow over the manifold, "might" prevent the DREADED manifold DROOP??
One guy complained---"I cain't get my L/H one on frum the top, NO ROOM"!-----"WELL, Dumb Ass, put it on frum the BOTTOM, jist turn the CAR OVER"
Bill W.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:41 PM   #24
Greg Jones

Ok I accept the bit about how the pans "cool better" but I would wager that back in the day they were more useful for keeping mud out of your carb on the crappy roads of the day.
Greg Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:21 PM   #25
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Jones View Post
Ok I accept the bit about how the pans "cool better" but I would wager that back in the day they were more useful for keeping mud out of your carb on the crappy roads of the day.
I remember OLD Chev's with side pans & they were 1 1/2" DEEP BUILD up of OIL, MUD, GREASE, HAY, MANURE, ETC! It was EASIER to throw them away, instead of CLEANING them!
Bill W.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:35 AM   #26
Marshall57

I was on a trip that covered a lot of dirt road, there was a definite pattern where the dust and dirty air was hitting the side of the engine. Without the pans the dust was coming up just at the carburetor inlet. I think one of the jobs it does is helps supply the carburetor with clean air.
Marshall57 is offline   Reply With Quote