Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-13-2010, 12:11 PM   #1
OHV DeLuxe

Default How to straighten Model T front axle end?

How should i go around to straighten a Model T front axle that has probably been hit slightly on the left side. The axle is dead straight all the way from right spindle over to left wishbone boss. The left top ear for the kinpin is maybe 5/16 - 3/8" further back compaired to the right one, and the lower seems to have been forced to keep the centerline through the kingpin.
I do have a pretty good press but wanted to ask how i should press on this gently to get it right. It looks like it might be tricky when thinking how the lower and upper ear is possitioned related to the wishbone boss, where i will probably rest the axle against.

Any hints on how to do this and any idea from people that might have had the same bend somehow, probably pretty common.. would be very much appreciated. Thanks..
OHV DeLuxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:51 PM   #2
John Otis

Send a message via AIM to John Otis Send a message via Yahoo to John Otis
Default Re: How to straighten Model T front axle end?

Over the years I have straightened a few but really there are so many straight T axles out there for cheap that I would just go find a straight one. If you want to try and straighten it yourself make a fixture on the bench with screwed down blocks that mimick a straight axle and just keep checking it against them every time you give it a push in the press. If you can find an old time garage that has an alignment pit they can chain it down and perfectly straighten it in about 20 minutes, probably for very cheap. Also remember that Henry's vanadium steel is pretty springy so when you have your axle on the press it will really rebound once you take the pressure off. You really have to exaggerate how far you push it to get it right.
John Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:55 PM   #3
CCWKen

Default Re: How to straighten Model T front axle end?

"The Model T Ford Owner" by Murray Fahnestock, pp.118-121, covers everything you need to know about rebuilding a front axle. Every axle fix is different but I use a combination of bars, clamps, blocks, chains and big wrenches besides a press to straighten axles. And on occasion, a second hydraulic jack. Make the alignment plugs described in the book. You can't do it without them. AND... NEVER use heat!
CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote