Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-30-2014, 11:44 PM   #1
Model A Man

Default how fast can a model A be restored?

I have a stock 1930 Model A deluxe roadster. What I need to do is take it all apart and fix the sag in the chassis repaint all the parts and put it back together. the body has no rust and very straight but the fenders have a few cracks at the bead. I use to do auto body and upholstery work about 25 years ago so I think I should be ok in that department. This roadster is going to be a permanent static display in a restaurant, so it will have no fluids or battery and doesn't have to run, just look really good. Once I start I am hoping I can get it done in three months. all input or ideas are welcome.
Model A Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:33 AM   #2
Doug in NJ

Default Re: how fast can a model A be restored?

I've been working on mine for 8 years...

Doug
Old 07-31-2014, 04:12 AM   #3
vermontboy

I think it depends on how much sleep you want to get ..... 3 months is 480 man-hours at 40 hours a week. Not sure why frame sag is an issue for a static display - is it severe??

Even without "getting it running" (which is the easiest part unless you do the machine work yourself) I think you are looking at 1200 to 1600 hours to disassemble, repair, repaint and reassemble if you do it properly. A "20 foot special" could be done within the 3 month time span if you sub out some of the work - think MAACO for paint.

Still not sure why the frame is an issue for a static display - you state no fluids or battery - are you going to rewire the car ?? Are you going to do anything internally to prevent deterioration ? If for some reason the "static display" doesn't work out long term is the owner aware of the loss of value between a restored roadster and basically just a body shell sitting on a repaired frame and requiring a full mechanical restoration.

Just my two cents
vermontboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:59 AM   #4
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

I agree ! For static display why go to all that trouble? A ten footer should Serve your purpose ! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:22 AM   #5
ronn

sell it and buy a "done" one

will only take a few hours..............
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:46 AM   #6
Neal

On TV they get it done in an hour with the drama. You should be able to get it done in half that time.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:49 AM   #7
George Miller

Why not straiten the frame with the body on. Not that hard to do.

To answer your question it takes me about a 1000 hours to do a decent car including rebuilding the engine.

Last edited by George Miller; 07-31-2014 at 10:16 AM.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:07 AM   #8
Dave in MN

As Vermontboy suggests, the time frame would be dependent on how highly you rate sleep!

I completed my Phaeton in about 5.5 months working killer hours after my day job. Total mechanical, full paint and new top. I did all the work myself except the final coat of paint and pin striping. The pin striping was still tacky when we took off for the 2000 National in Kansas City. I estimate it took about 1000 hours.

My first restoration, a CC Pickup, on the other hand, took about 3 years for the same and an estimated 2200 hours.

Good Day!
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:38 AM   #9
BlueSunoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
On TV they get it done in an hour with the drama. You should be able to get it done in half that time.
Ain't that the truth
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:08 AM   #10
vermontboy

If you haven't done paint work in 25 years you may find that things have changed a bit. Not sure when all the changes came about but the last time I sprayed a car it was in the open with nitrocellulose lacquer.
I've only done two restorations - both decades ago and never got to the point where I could do one in 1000 hours......
vermontboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:18 AM   #11
Fred
BANNED

And just what do you call "RESTORED" ?? It makes a BIG difference in time and $$$..
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:30 AM   #12
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Model A Man,

If input & ideas are welcomed, FWIW, here are mine:

A. Thorough Planning Always Helps.

B. If you have performed all of these chores before & have experienced every task, you can meet your schedule; if not, with encountering new tasks, allow at least 1-1/2 the amount of time scheduled.

C. Your restoration possibly can be thought of today as two (2) Options for a voyage from the Atlantic to the Pacific:

D. Option 1:

1. Set a beginning point & an ending point, & maintain a mental compass to insure you are always heading forward in the proper direction.

2. Plot your daily route on a map with no dead ends & no detours, insuring always traveling forward, one way, never doing a chore twice, & never backtracking, all tied to a daily hourly schedule.

3. Maintain flexibility in that you can accomplish anything you see later as a better performance route that was not previously expected.

4. Maintain a daily log of accomplishments to see what was done & what has yet to be done.

5. Schedule breaks for meals & rest.

E. Option 2:

1. Do not set a final destination point at the Pacific; just take off & land anywhere on the coast from Mexico to Canada.

2. Don't plot your route on a map, just turn at every junction, every intersection, & wander all over hoping you are headed west. Every time you make a wrong turn, just turn around & head back.

3.. If you think you see a better route, just take it even with no map, there might be a McDonald's not too far ahead.

4. Do not log your progress, just go in circles, it does not matter were you have been, where you are going, or how many days you traveled.

5. Do not schedule stops for meals & rest; just pick up food along the way from supermarkets or anywhere, & sleep in your vehicle with no showers & no bathroom facilities so you can look like a tramp, travel like a tramp, & feel like a tramp with no accomplishments.

F. Some go through life with Option 1, some prefer Option 2, & some like to combine Option 1 with Option 2; however, no matter what, ask Model A questions & directions along the way, smile & have fun, & don't get frustrated if you are late in meeting your final goal -- none of us ever met it anyway & quite frankly, the Russians won't care if you finish or not. !!!!!!!! LOL Hope this helps.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:03 PM   #13
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Miller View Post
Why not straiten the frame with the body on. Not that hard to do.

To answer your question it takes me about a 1000 hours to do a decent car including rebuilding the engine.
You are a faster man than we.

We have a restoration project broken down by 730+ individualized tasks for scheduling in Microsoft Project, and the template breaks it down in about 1,400 hours for a Roadster, ...and over 2,000 hours for a wood-bodied Sedan or Vic. Granted, our hours includes restoring door latches, window regulators, and all of the sub-component peripheral items that many don't bother with, ...but to answer the OP question directly, even if you have 50 hours a week to devote to the project, 12 weeks only gives you 600 hours. Somewhere along the way you need to factor in hidden damage delays, incorrect or ill-fitting parts, and unforeseen parts/materials delays.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf RestorationProject - Template.pdf (77.3 KB, 274 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:29 PM   #14
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Model A Man,

If any doubts, as a backup, another less accurate method than that presented above by Mr. Brent, for estimating Model A service time, is to buy the BT-1 Model T Service Manual sold by Snyder's.

Ford listed in this manual the minimum hours spent for most very similar mechanical type services; however, keep in mind that with Mr. Brent's list & the Ford's Model T hours, services were provided by professional well experienced mechanics who performed these services every day.

Hope this helps for anyone estimating any particular Model A mechanical service.

Many thanks to Mr. Brent for detailing such valuable Model A service information geared to todays modern methods of providing these Model A services.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:36 PM   #15
George Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
You are a faster man than we.

We have a restoration project broken down by 730+ individualized tasks for scheduling in Microsoft Project, and the template breaks it down in about 1,400 hours for a Roadster, ...and over 2,000 hours for a wood-bodied Sedan or Vic. Granted, our hours includes restoring door latches, window regulators, and all of the sub-component peripheral items that many don't bother with, ...but to answer the OP question directly, even if you have 50 hours a week to devote to the project, 12 weeks only gives you 600 hours. Somewhere along the way you need to factor in hidden damage delays, incorrect or ill-fitting parts, and unforeseen parts/materials delays.

I'm sure you do more of the details than I. If you notice I said a decent car. But I have done 25 Model A's over the years, plus was a mechanic in my Dads garage, so that helps. But I'm not the best body man in the world I do what I can.

.[/QUOTE]
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:55 PM   #16
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Man View Post
I have a stock 1930 Model A deluxe roadster. What I need to do is take it all apart and fix the sag in the chassis repaint all the parts and put it back together. the body has no rust and very straight but the fenders have a few cracks at the bead. I use to do auto body and upholstery work about 25 years ago so I think I should be ok in that department. This roadster is going to be a permanent static display in a restaurant, so it will have no fluids or battery and doesn't have to run, just look really good. Once I start I am hoping I can get it done in three months. all input or ideas are welcome.
Take your time and enjoy the restoration. Rushing is no fun at all! The fun of woking on these old cars is slowly seeing it progress and enjoying each slight improvement you make. If I had to do it in a hurry I would rather buy one already finished. I think 99 Percent of the thrill of these old cars is enjoying the improvements. I knew an old world watchmaker clock reapairer that told me, once he got the watch of clock running he lost interest in it.
Sorry for preaching, but I was a preacher!
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 03:43 PM   #17
glenn in camino

Back in the spring of 1973 I disassembled my December 1928 station wagon for restoration. In July of 1974 I finished it and drove it to the MAFCA national meet on the Queen Mary in Long Beach Calif. The restoration took me 13 months. I still have it and drive it, show it and maintain it in show condition.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 03:54 PM   #18
glenn in camino

I disassembled my 12/10/28 station wagon in the spring of 1973. I finished it and drove it to the MAFCA national in July of 1974 on the Queen Mary in Long Beach Calif. It was a 13 month restoration that I still have, drive, show and maintain in show condition. I was also working full time in 73 &/74. I was much younger then.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:17 PM   #19
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Hi Model A Man,

If any doubts, as a backup, another less accurate method than that presented above by Mr. Brent, for estimating Model A service time, is to buy the BT-1 Model T Service Manual sold by Snyder's.

Ford listed in this manual the minimum hours spent for most very similar mechanical type services; however, keep in mind that with Mr. Brent's list & the Ford's Model T hours, services were provided by professional well experienced mechanics who performed these services every day.

Hope this helps for anyone estimating any particular Model A mechanical service.

Many thanks to Mr. Brent for detailing such valuable Model A service information geared to todays modern methods of providing these Model A services.
LOL HL, if you are talking about the original schedule I think you are, those dealerships must have had Superman working in them.

It ranks in absurdity right up there with the Company exhorting the dealers to hustle for lube jobs, on which they charged like 1.50.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:05 PM   #20
glenn in camino

I restored my 12/10/28 station wagon in 13 months, but I was much younger then.