Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-27-2014, 08:41 PM   #21
Oldmics
BANNED

Default Re: Why so many little 'birds for sale?

Well,55s seem to be the least desireable to own.

As with any 1st production year there are issues specific to that year.Actually all 3 years of Baby Birds have issues specific to their production year.

55s were 6 volt electrical operation and can be a challenge.Of course that can be changed.

Steering box,steering wheel and column are specific to 55s and some other items.

Since it runs,I am going to assume that it is an original "Y" block 292 engine and not some sort of replacement.
Usually cars in these kind of conditions have engines that have not been started in a long while.
Since it starts that's a plus and will drive the price tag up.

The rust issues will need to be addressed and that could be an expensive proposition.

I have walked away from inexpensive Birds that have serious rust problems.

I will leave the rust concerns to your capeable capacitys. Replacement sheet metal is expensive for these cars.

I believe a car in this kind of condition would be in the 8 - 10 K area. (not that I would pay that for a 55) but that's probably whats realistic.

I have bought Baby Birds from 2K to the 35K figures and everything in between.Just depends on what it is and how bad I needed it at the time.

Hammer out your best deal and good luck!

Oldmics
Oldmics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:02 PM   #22
miker98038

one easy check. Many stored 55's have a mouse nest in the right rear quarter. I found the shredded carpet from the speedo cable opening, or the o/d cable back there. Since it's under the spare, it's easy to miss. My current car had that, and it looked pretty good from outside and underneath, but all that was left was the paint. It just hadn't bubbled yet. A good scrubbing and POR15 is your friend for a short term fix.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-28-2014, 03:36 PM   #23
y'sguy

One thing I can almost guarantee you is that to be safe and confident, You'll most likely want to to do a complete brake overhaul. They didn't stop well when new. Even when overhauled completely I have seen and driven a lot of them that would pull right or left on a panic stop. Not good. They can be fixed.

I still own my first car, a 55 bird and I drive it a lot.

ˆagree with OldMics on owning these.

55 is least desirable according to stats BUT I STILL like them overall the best.

As has been said you can buy almost anything for them that is used new old stock and replace.

BUT if YOU can't do you your own body work and be really great at it YOU will pay dearly.
So you might as well get the best body you can to start with. I've seen Tons of these birds and most came from the the factory with Rust! (kidding) but it seems like it.

What most don't really realize is that being this is a convertible NOTHING MUCH is in the middle that keeps the car together. Just take off the top, open both doors and look! A box steel frame with an I-beam x in the middle with formed sheet metal floor. they can flex quite a bit.

And as much as I hate to say it they don't seem to bring the money other so called collector cars do. maybe one day.

As others have said the market is mixed on these, but having lived with a bunch of them from my younger days I still have a soft spot for them.
y'sguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:26 AM   #24
raceron1120

Great advice, thanks to all who provided it and it will be taken under advisement. I'm not looking to get an old TBird as an investment; rather just for personal use & enjoyment. Hoping I can get one but if not, oh well. . .
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote