Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-20-2014, 10:04 PM   #1
DougVieyra

Default 6 Volt Positive Ground - CD Player ?

Does anyone know of a source where one can get a 6 Volt Positive Ground - CD Player for my Model A ? I love to play all my popular music from 1910 - 1932 (now on CDs) while driving (and parked) my Model A.

If there is NO such thing as a 6 Volt Positive Ground CD player, does anyone know how I might get something that would work ?
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:45 PM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: 6 Volt Positive Ground - CD Player ?

What kind of player? Is it mounted to the car or a portable?

You can just swap the power wires if the CD player covers are not part of the ground. Real simple for a portable.

Even with a mounted unit, if you insulate the player just connect the pos to pos and neg to neg.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:33 AM   #3
Barber31

I installed a 12 volt neg ground radio. Just ordered the $99.00 kit that converts pos 6 volts to neg 12 volts. Sold by Macs, Snyders. I did want to tell everybody but not make a separate thread about it that I bought a new pioneer radio and it is pretty awesome. It has a microphone that can be installed on your vehicle with Bluetooth so that you can have hands free calling thru your sound system like the newer cars. I thought that was so convenient seeing how are hands are pretty busy driving the A. And hearing the call thru the sound system makes it that much easier to hear clearly. Don't know if anybody would go for all that but with my business and kids and family, my phone needs to be close at all times.
Barber31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:08 AM   #4
Ed Saniewski

How well dose it work with the ignition noise from the distributor?

Model A Pick Up Owners and Enthusiasts
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/group.php?groupid=5
Ed Saniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:42 AM   #5
Kevin in NJ

What kind of CD player?

If it is an all plastic housing then positive or neg ground is not important.

Today my question would be why would you even use a CD player?

Convert all the music to files and put them on one device. Many different types of player are available today from the simple solid state memory players to tablets. Each are able to give hours of play back on a single charge. Then you have portable blue tooth speaker options, again with hours of battery. You can also get USB plug batteries used to recharge portable devices which could let you go a whole day without problems.

All this without having to touch anything on your car- Plus they work where ever you want to be.

If you want to be fancier, you could stream all the music from a music service using the data connection from your smartphone.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:33 AM   #6
vermontboy

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
With all due respect there are many of us old timers whose eyes glaze over when we read about "solid state memory players", "tablets", "blue tooth", "plug batteries" and yes, even "smartphones". I still use a flip-phone because all I want to do is talk on the phone - I don't take pictures with it, I don't text, nor do I check my email.

It's not because I don't understand these things - it's because I don't want to be "plugged in" 24 hours a day. The phone is for my convenience - not other people's. I don't always take it with me - and when I do I usually turn it off. I don't want to check my email when I'm not home. When I am on vacation I don't want to browse the net.

That's "why I would use a CD player". I've converted all kinds of old music to CD's, even picked up some of the old Edison cylinder music available on the net. I've converted 33's and 45's and even cut a couple of old 78's off a friends old turntable. I use tech, but at my convenience. And I don't use the latest, fastest developments because the old ones still work great.

Just my two cents.
vermontboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:25 AM   #7
marc hildebrant

With regards to Old Music and CDs....

I have a business where I have restored old Edison Music and then put the music on CD's. Music from 1900 to 1930 and some was recorded electrically.

When my restoration work is done, I can use either "wav" files or "mp3" for the music. The wav files can then be converted to CD music (red book encoding). The MP3 files (180 K) can be sent via internet or stored on digital media (flash drives or such).

I prefer to not use MP3 since this method removes music content in order to use less space. Sometimes the MP3 method can "shrink" the song by a factor of ten !

Since storage is so cheap today, I prefer to hear my music as I restored it, rather than with music removed.

For those that are interested, you can learn a lot about MP3 on the internet and how it "tricks" you into removing music. without hearing much of a loss.

But, I can hear the reduction in the music quality.
Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:01 AM   #8
vermontboy

Same as the difference in quality between analog (think vinyl) and digital (commercial CD's). Or the difference between the modern "home theater" systems and listening to properly set up old high end tube equipment (McIntosh, for example). Even with my admittedly old ears that can't catch the high notes anymore (but they can be "felt" there is a huge difference.
vermontboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:32 AM   #9
marc hildebrant

Vermontboy.....

The difference between wav files (lossless) and MP3 (loss) is not the same as the vinyl vs CD or the solid state vs McIntosh debate.

MP3 removes many types of frequencies from low to high. In addition, the dynamic range of the music is reduced with MP3. MP3 removes some of the music in order to compress and store more music in less space.

Over the years, I have had 5 McIntosh Amps, hundreds of vinyl records and many speaker systems. I still like a good CD with a high powered solid state amp and Klipsh's tower speakers.....

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:43 AM   #10
P.S.

Here is my solution-http://www.tivoliaudio.com/products/portables/the-ipal-high-gloss-black-silver.html

Since all your music can be stored on your smartphone these days, this little gem is just the ticket. If you get the Bluetooth enabled version, you can use it for hands free phone calls also, just like Barber does with the Pioneer stereo. Otherwise, you can simply plug a portable CD player into it.

With the Tivoli unit, you don't need to wire anything to your Model A. A charge lasts all day. And, it has plenty of audio volume to be easily heard over Model A road noise.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:34 PM   #11
DougVieyra

Default 6 Volt Positive Ground - CD Player ?

VermontBoy - Your post : "With all due respect . . . . "

Thank you. You saved me from having to explain why I prefer a CD to . . . . . . - well, just about anything. And I have no interest in learning.

After I got through moving from a Edison Cylinder to an Edison Disc, and then to a 78 rpm disc, and then to a 45 rpm disc, and then to a 33 1/3 rpm disc, and then to a reel-to-reel, and then to a cassette 8 track tape, and then to a smaller cassette tape, and then to CD . . . . . well, I just don't have the time, energy or inclination to continue to chase the rabbit of never ending change !

- An old Fart, pulling a cart - not smart, but that's my part.

Doug Vieyra, in Sunny Eureka, California - 65 degrees at noon.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:46 PM   #12
Tom Wesenberg

Doug, that's just how I feel about the recording business. In the 70's I blew about $900 on 8 tracks (almost got caught up in 4 tracks), then I bought a bunch of LP's and blank cassettes. Then I just said to heck with it. I'll just listen to the engine noises.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:50 PM   #13
mccsix

Hey Doug I got some of the the latest Edison cylinders..... ya want to swap? I get tired of listening to the "the chewing gum on the the bed post overnight" over and over.

USN
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:14 AM   #14
BILL WILLIAMSON

I just park & "sing" the really OLD songs, it keeps folks from gathering around & 'MONKEYING" around with my car!
Bill Cash
Old 07-22-2014, 08:18 AM   #15
jmeckel

Back to the orginal question, as long as your cd player douse not have a "grounded case" meaning the case is attached to the black negative wire, then you can use a positive 6 to negative 12 converter I have one and it works great. If the case is grounded you will need to fully isolate it from the car metal. That can be done just takes a bit of work.

"If you choose to not decide, you still have made a choice!" RUSH

Don't tell me what you know..... Tell me what you have done.
jmeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:14 PM   #16
Tim B.

ClassicCarStereos.com sells the 6V pos to 12V neg inverters the vendors sell for $59.95 it may be worth checking them out. www.ClassicCarStereos.com Tim
Tim B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:08 AM   #17
Barber31

No noise Ed.
Barber31 is offline   Reply With Quote