Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-16-2014, 02:43 PM   #1
30ccpickup

Default Mechanical Abilities

If you are new to Model A's and your mechanical abilities are low ,in my opinion, you should keep your "A" the way Henry designed them. Stay away from modifications and do not throw away any original parts. These old cars, "the way Henry designed them" are reliable drivers when rebuilt correctly.

Our club is helping out a new member get his car running. It is all original except for the paint. They keep telling me that he has no mechanical abilities, so they are going to modify it this way and that to help him out. I can't help but believe, they are steering him the wrong way. The parts they are discarding are easily rebuilt at less cost then new, and are just as reliable.

As you can tell by now, I keep all of my A's as original as possible, but that's me. I am not against modifications, mechanics have the ability to modify, improve and maintain their vehicles, but for the novice these vehicles are in their simplest form the way Henry designed them. Most Model A'ers can help if there is a problem and it is original, but when modified it brings in a whole different set of knowledge.

True or False

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:48 PM   #2
mshmodela

Default Re: Mechanical Abilities

I think all a model A or most anything that's unknown to a person needs is the willingness to learn... I'm no mechanic... I deal with computers and software.... I have to figure those things out --daily...

I like my model a since it's a totally new subject to learn and it looks awesome!

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:09 PM   #3
Purdy Swoft

It really depends on what mods are made. There are many improvements that can be made to any 86 year old design. I will list a few. A higher compression head in the 5.2 to 6.0 to 1 ratio will make a day and night improvement in hill climbing and driveability. The head can still appear completely original. A shortened pitman arm will make the steering easier, so will teflon buttons in the drag link and tie rod ends. There are at least 3 voltage regulators for the model A that is completely hidden either inside the generator or the cut out. Fun Projects makes several voltage regulators that mount in place of the troublesome cut out and requires no changes be made to the generator. One of these regulators will allow the use of 12 volts with no modifications to the original wiring or generator. A new modern barrel starter drive is available with no bolts to drop off in the flywheel housing like the old Bendix drive would often do. At least two styles of brake floaters are available. There is a longer clutch release arm that makes the clutch pedal 30% easier to depress. This is just a few of the mods that doesn't show or complicate mechanical matters in any way, in my opinion.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:16 PM   #4
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

There is a difference between making mods because you want to, and making mods because you think you have to.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:45 PM   #5
vermontboy

Totally agree with 30ccpickup .... look at the problems on this forum and a large percentage of them are related to ignition modifications. The original system with good quality points and condenser is almost bulletproof - a tuneup with new points, condenser, rotor and plugs can be done with a matchbook, dime and a couple of hand tools.
It can be done on the side of the road, it can be done in the rain, it can be done in the dark with a borderline flashlight.
Throw in "new style" components and troubleshooting becomes problematic.
vermontboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:25 PM   #6
Purdy Swoft

I agree completly about the original style points and condenser. Some mods are very bad while others are good. The make shift so called modern points conversion and wirless lower plate that are used with them are among the worst. No mods are required but if you want to drive on the public highways it is best to make mods that will keep it from slowing to 25-30 mph on the hills. If the model A gets considered a menace to traffic, it could easily be banned from public use. Many usefull mods can also be made to the oiriginal brakes that doesn't show.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:04 PM   #7
700rpm

"As you can tell by now, I keep all of my A's as original as possible, but that's me."

It's not just you. There are lots of us.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:21 PM   #8
30ccpickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
It really depends on what mods are made. There are many improvements that can be made to any 86 year old design. I will list a few. A higher compression head in the 5.2 to 6.0 to 1 ratio will make a day and night improvement in hill climbing and driveability. The head can still appear completely original. A shortened pitman arm will make the steering easier, so will teflon buttons in the drag link and tie rod ends. There are at least 3 voltage regulators for the model A that is completely hidden either inside the generator or the cut out. Fun Projects makes several voltage regulators that mount in place of the troublesome cut out and requires no changes be made to the generator. One of these regulators will allow the use of 12 volts with no modifications to the original wiring or generator. A new modern barrel starter drive is available with no bolts to drop off in the flywheel housing like the old Bendix drive would often do. At least two styles of brake floaters are available. There is a longer clutch release arm that makes the clutch pedal 30% easier to depress. This is just a few of the mods that doesn't show or complicate mechanical matters in any way, in my opinion.
Purdy,

Thanks for posting. I would consider 6.0 to 1 head an advanced item. It is less forgiving, you need to understand your sparks advance and know the condition of your babbit. I believe I lost a couple of years of engine life from this rookie mistake. I guess my point is, if you are new to the hobby and do not understand what is best, you will not hurt the car by keeping it original. There is always time to learn and alter it to your personal liking later. You will know why you are doing it and not because someone told you it was better and some may choose not to alter it at all.

Paul

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.

Last edited by 30ccpickup; 06-16-2014 at 08:26 PM.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:54 PM   #9
Growley bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30ccpickup View Post
If you are new to Model A's and your mechanical abilities are low ,in my opinion, you should keep your "A" the way Henry designed them. Stay away from modifications and do not throw away any original parts. These old cars, "the way Henry designed them" are reliable drivers when rebuilt correctly.

Our club is helping out a new member get his car running. It is all original except for the paint. They keep telling me that he has no mechanical abilities, so they are going to modify it this way and that to help him out. I can't help but believe, they are steering him the wrong way. The parts they are discarding are easily rebuilt at less cost then new, and are just as reliable.

As you can tell by now, I keep all of my A's as original as possible, but that's me. I am not against modifications, mechanics have the ability to modify, improve and maintain their vehicles, but for the novice these vehicles are in their simplest form the way Henry designed them. Most Model A'ers can help if there is a problem and it is original, but when modified it brings in a whole different set of knowledge.

True or False
Very true and when a modified car breaks it is usually something to do with a modification. The more modified the less reliable has been my experience.

Chet
Growley bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:09 PM   #10
SDJason

From the perspective of someone who was a newbie 2.5 years ago:

- I HATED that some previous owner had re-wired things, differently from standard. Made troubleshooting the intermittent short I had a year ago near-impossible. I ended up ripping out a bunch of wires and getting it back to standard.

- Adding a voltage regulator (ended up getting the Fun Projects one) was one of the better additions - I knew nothing about the possibility of overcharging the battery, until it was too late. Now, I don't have to put a second (or even first) thought to it.

- I like the peace-of-mind of fusing the various accessory circuits (e.g. lighting).

- Likewise on having a battery cutoff switch.

- I absolutely had to have a third brake light, and changed the teacup lights to red instead of amber. No one at all nowadays equates amber lights to braking.

- Mine came with turn signals - probably a good thing as well.

- It also came with a 5.5 head. Not having anything to compare it to, I just have to assume it's an improvement. I've climbed some hills with it, and it does respectfully, but nothing to write home about.

I've thought about adding an oil filter, but given how little I drive (maybe 10 miles a week, on average), figure it's probably not worth doing.

The one thing I do want to add is a trunk - having some storage space for spare parts/tools without piling stuff into the passenger compartment would be nice. My preference would be for something like a Kari-Keen, with moving the spare to a fenderwell a second choice. Adding the trunk behind the spare is a no-go. It came that way originally, and was fugly as hell (not to mention that it made it impossible to get the spare off without removing the trunk rack).
SDJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:03 PM   #11
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
"As you can tell by now, I keep all of my A's as original as possible, but that's me."

It's not just you. There are lots of us.
Add me to list of, do it right and you don't need mods!
Old 06-16-2014, 10:41 PM   #12
TerryH

The same old issue, and the same two camps are still here.....as usual, there is no right answer, but some common sense helps. Some guys are born to tinker and improve things....others, no. I even know a few folks who do not own a computer or a cell phone and are proud of it.
Some of us with Model A's take a moderate approach, making a few select changes that either enhance road performance in a modern world or for safety, without losing the character of the car or it's function
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:42 PM   #13
Dick Webber

I didn't know anything about a Model A when I bought mine. Then the starter broke and I learned how to fix it. 53 years later I've fixed most of it. Still all original, but I do believe in the fuse attachment, and I added an extra tail light. Now I'm overhauling my first engine, a Model A Gordon Smith air compressor.

What a trip! A life time of pleasure from just an ordinary 29 tudor sedan driver.
Dick Webber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:01 AM   #14
V4F

being mechanically inclined (no expert , self taught) i find working on mine relaxing & just plain fun . i have many mods , but thats my personality . i drove stock for many years before i changed a thing . yes i have screwed up a time or 2 , but thats the challenge & fun for me ............
Old 06-17-2014, 11:15 AM   #15
ericr

I think I have commented before that my Dad's contemporaries, all of whom are long since deceased, who owned these cars when new or slightly used, stated that the cars would run-run-run with a minimal amount of maintenance. They were reliable and economic. Most of our problems with them seem to arise from lower-quality repair parts or repair procedures now longer practiced or impossible to perform due to absence of the original tools.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:40 AM   #16
PeteCruz2715

I would have to agree with 30ccpickup. For the most part original is much easier to deal with. I have a bit of "wrenching" experience but not all that much with A's. I rely for the most part on Les Andrew's books and input from club members. Other than a few of the more common mods such as the fuse block on the starter I prefer to keep my car stock. If I need to repair something and it doesn't match the book it really makes life difficult. As a few have stated once you get the feel for what you are doing (and that probably takes YEARS) venturing out into Modville isn't nearly as risky!
PeteCruz2715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:08 PM   #17
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Add me to list of, do it right and you don't need mods!
Have you removed your Brumfield head ???
Old 06-17-2014, 03:54 PM   #18
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
Have you removed your Brumfield head ???
One with one without!

With, harder to hand crank and not as low of an idle.
Without easy hand start and real low idle while stopped at lights.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:22 PM   #19
Purdy Swoft

Still a modification and it was your choice. There is nothing wrong with reasonable mods for a driver car. The ones that I have with brumfield heads crank good with the hand crank but probably don't idle quiet as slowly as Gus, my rusty 29 tudor, my 31 tudor or my sept. 29 strip down with stock heads .
Old 06-17-2014, 06:12 PM   #20
Dick M

Send a message via Yahoo to Dick M

I have installed a laycock overdrive unit and an alternator. The rest of my A is stock. My rule is that whatever modification done you have to be able to put the A back to stock condition. There is no right or wrong ---just what the owner is happy with....
Dick M is offline   Reply With Quote